Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2015, 02:47 PM

10,213 posts, read 14,834,115 times

Advertisements

Anyone who actually believes the news media or 'headlines' pertaining to SS, SSDI or anything else ... will find themselves in a constant state of agitation and flux. 'News' is no longer news, but, rather, a biased editorial of what the media thinks people should think about media perceptions of 'what might happen.'

In that scenario, 'the sky must fall' at least three times per month to keep media advertising sales and newspaper sales from plummeting. OK, call me a skeptic or cynic when it comes to the media, ... but, when was the last time you got seriously credible information from a 'news' editorial??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2015, 03:01 PM

7,488 posts, read 10,488,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eok View Post
Disabled people need more income than retired people. What if their wheelchair needs a new axle or something? What if their front door is too narrow and they have to go out the back door for their wheelchair to fit through it, but their back door ramp gets cracked by tree roots? A retired person can use his cane and go out the front door, at low cost.
Problem is, a lot of "disabled" people are getting SSDI because they were laid off during this recession and were unable to find new jobs...not a new story. They don't need wheelchairs, ramps, band-aids or anything else -- just money, once their unemplotment benefits run out.

Old 01-09-2015, 03:06 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,481,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jghorton View Post
Anyone who actually believes the news media or 'headlines' pertaining to SS, SSDI or anything else ... will find themselves in a constant state of agitation and flux. 'News' is no longer news, but, rather, a biased editorial of what the media thinks people should think about media perceptions of 'what might happen.'

In that scenario, 'the sky must fall' at least three times per month to keep media advertising sales and newspaper sales from plummeting. OK, call me a skeptic or cynic when it comes to the media, ... but, when was the last time you got seriously credible information from a 'news' editorial??
Try the SS Trustee report:

Trustees Report Summary
Social Security’s Disability Insurance (DI) program satisfies neither the Trustees’ long-range test of close actuarial balance nor their short-range test of financial adequacy and faces the most immediate financing shortfall of any of the separate trust funds. DI Trust Fund reserves expressed as a percent of annual cost (the trust fund ratio) declined to 62 percent at the beginning of 2014, and the Trustees project trust fund depletion late in 2016, the same year projected in the last Trustees Report.

Old 01-09-2015, 03:07 PM

25,573 posts, read 17,286,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by windrunner4484 View Post
Has anyone been keeping an eye on what the do-nothing-but-take-away-your-Social Security Congress is putting up for passage now?
That's nonsense Democrats put out to scare the Be-Jesus out of everyone. The purpose of this sort of nonsense is to get people to put Democrats back in office.

They do the same thing with abortion rights, etc.

They're good at it. It works.

Jonathan Gruber was right about a couple of things.

But, no, there is no such pending legislation.

Old 01-09-2015, 04:12 PM

7,043 posts, read 6,295,966 times
Actually, as an elder who was laid off & unable to find work, at least here in Minnesota, I received a whopping $200 a month from welfare, oh & $200 in food stamps. In order for me to receive Ssdi after a car accident which destroyed my back took 2 years of fighting. So I'm not sure how these other people you state receive it did that. My Dr & disability file was huge. It wasn't until I hired a lawyer & I met with the judge who clearly saw I could barely walk, combined with over 40 years of work, was I finally awarded SSDI.

Oh, and you can't see my bandaid. It's one of those invisible ones I cover with clothes, although the cane kind of gives it away. Walk in others shoes before you make one fits all statements please.

Last edited by meo92953; 01-09-2015 at 04:17 PM.. Reason: addition

Old 01-09-2015, 04:57 PM

16,042 posts, read 21,971,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lenora View Post
SSI is a welfare program for the aged and disabled. It has nothing to do with Social Security.

Social Security has two trust funds... the Disability Trust Fund and the Retirement/Survivors Trust Fund. Workers pay into both trust funds through payroll taxes AND Congress has historically changed the percentage of payroll tax paid into each trust fund depending on current and future needs. Congress has previously bailed out the Retirement/Survivor Trust Fund by allocating a higher percentage of payroll towards that fund at the expense of the Disability Fund as well as vice versa.

Unless a similar redistribution of payroll taxes is forthcoming, it appears that Social Security will be unable to fulfill its obligation to Disability benefit recipients.

The House of Representatives has passed a rule that is clearly an attempt to prevent the rescue of the Disability Trust Fund. http://docs.house.gov/billsthisweek/...14hres5pih.pdf

I believe this is an attempt to "divide and conquer". The disabled worker vs. the retired worker. There is a lot of talk about rampant fraud in the disability program, however, it is mostly anecdotal. The amount of fraud in the Disability component of Social Security is miniscule compared to the amount of fraud in the Medicare program.

Stay tuned.
Thanks, Lenora and Happy Texan. I'm tired of seeing "SSI" used incorrectly, and this is widespread and misleading.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement