Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2015, 10:19 AM

10,379 posts, read 10,836,279 times

Advertisements

I just turned 62 this year. I don't know why but this winter, I seem to have noticed a decline in energy this year that I never noticed before. It seems like the long nights and the cold kind of take the wind out of my sails. Anyone else noticed this. I know about SAD, but I always figured it was more mental than physical. Does anyone know if they've ever done studies that show a decline of energy in people in the winter.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2015, 10:27 AM

21,020 posts, read 19,193,098 times
I don't know about studies...but if I may...I would say 'try' to eat more fresh organic
fruits and veggies, really. (Try for one week and just see.)
And check into Vit D3 and so many other things you may be a little low on.
If you did not have SADS before...not sure it would suddenly happen this year.

If you find out the right things (deficiencies) in just 2 weeks you
can be doing great.

If that doesn't work...
In one - two days I felt in tip top shape...younger, mentally sharper
by basically doing an Atkins, no carbs...but, that's my body.
It's not
for everyone.

Old 01-10-2015, 10:38 AM

5,097 posts, read 6,317,443 times
I find the winters much more energizing, even in the sun on a cold day helps. But then I like the cold. Heat and humidity really drag me down.

Old 01-10-2015, 10:53 AM

757 posts, read 832,763 times
Augie here is an article on SAD from the American Psychiatric Association- if the link is allowed that is.
Seasonal Affective Disorder | psychiatry.org

I too have noticed it and it happens every year to me. SAD? Maybe, but I know it's me + cold that don't mix well at all. Sunlight can be an issue but mostly the cold. So, this winter I invested in several great pairs of warm sweats, sweatshirts and heavy sox. A great winter hat etc. Did it on a budget but it felt like a splurge as they keep me toasty. (warm = happy)

I also prepared myself ahead this winter, and started taking St John's Wort for the down side on a regular basis beginning in Sept/October. It is making a big difference and is not expensive. I can tell when I have missed several doses... not only easily upset but NO energy at all. If you start it soon you may feel a difference in a week or so.. but everyone is different.

Also added Ubiquinol in December for energy levels and that helps too. Vitamins and supplements are a regular thing for me now. I have seen the results, I know they are helping me. It might be something to consider.

I make myself walk everyday, at least 20 minutes, unless it's a gullywasher rain. I bundle up and get out into the fresh air. It feels good and clears my head. Come home to a nice cup of something warm..

Hope this helps..

Old 01-10-2015, 11:00 AM

5,097 posts, read 6,317,443 times
I agree with the cold feeling good and does clear my head too.

Old 01-10-2015, 11:01 AM

37,732 posts, read 40,772,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brava4 View Post
I find the winters much more energizing, even in the sun on a cold day helps. But then I like the cold. Heat and humidity really drag me down.
Me too - more peppy in the winter.

Old 01-10-2015, 11:15 AM

31,672 posts, read 40,881,756 times
Winter does it and it is natural for us and other mammals. My Accupuncturist sees a tick up of patients suffering seasonal doldrums and needles is for, Tis wonderful.

Old 01-10-2015, 11:38 AM

118 posts, read 156,495 times
I feel your exhaustion, but this is only January 10th, could you still be recovering from the long holiday season?

I have streamlined my holidays to a positively lazy pace however, I find that tho I seldom cook (not like when my kiddos were home), I did make a few holiday treats and things for holiday potlucks. And tho I give very few gifts I still did some shopping and wrapping. Tho I do minimal decorating I drug out some stuff and then put it back. Tho I go to few holiday parties & concerts, I did go to a few.... you get the idea.

I'm normally pretty energetic but the last few days I'm finding myself sleeping more and I'm just being patient with it and assuming it will take care of itself. A balanced diet, a bit of exercise & some extra sleep should snap me back in a jiffy!

Heck, just viewing some of those holiday cards & letters showing all of the activities of friends requires a nap!

Old 01-10-2015, 12:35 PM

21,020 posts, read 19,193,098 times
I had a friend that was complaining of getting old being a b*tch...
aches, pains, tired, achey. He was 54! LOL! Eyeroll...I was older...
I just asked if he ate well...he believed that you get what you need from your food.
Oh?
I kinda explained even if he is eating greens everyday, bla bla...by the time they get to
you after being grown in depleted soils bla bla....
(as a nation we are 95% magnesium deficient)

Well, I told him to get a moderately priced Vit-Min supplement....Spectrum? White bottle.
Anyway in 2 weeks he told me how great he felt.

I asked what he did! ...he said ONLY the Vit-Mins...absolutely nothing different.
So...there you have that story.

Dehydration makes your brain, muscles and vessels like a dried up sponge, btw!

We don't know any real details....so just throwing simple things out there to try.

There was this MD in TX...he'd say drink a gallon of distilled water by
tomorrow night...if you still feel bad...come back in.
No one came back! True story, his sister told me. Texans don't lie.

Old 01-10-2015, 01:06 PM

16,042 posts, read 21,897,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by augiedogie View Post
I just turned 62 this year. I don't know why but this winter, I seem to have noticed a decline in energy this year that I never noticed before. It seems like the long nights and the cold kind of take the wind out of my sails. Anyone else noticed this. I know about SAD, but I always figured it was more mental than physical. Does anyone know if they've ever done studies that show a decline of energy in people in the winter.
Are you having unusually cold winters in Texas? That can take the wind out of your sails.

If you're not getting outdoors for sun, I suggest looking up Vitamin D (D-3) supplements and also fish liver oil. And a probiotic supplement. Those three things make a difference for me, but I have to admit that in the winter months I take an afternoon nap.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement