Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2019, 05:40 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,353,463 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
I think a lot of that comes from the uncertainty in the world today.

It feels like no one is in charge and we're kind of just drifting along, possibly hitting an iceberg at any moment. Look at the news. Climate change. Frequent mass shootings. Complete political dysfunction. Employment stressors. Companies that were institutions like Sears are just going by the wayside. There's a lot of anxiety out there about technology. News and information comes at you at all times. We're overwhelmed.

I can see why people want to back to the simpler "old days."
Oh please. I could come up with just as many rotten things in my time that were overwhelming and to be anxious about. Boohoo. It's just that I don't see the point. Wallowing in the past doesn't make it better.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2019, 06:36 PM

7,743 posts, read 6,310,376 times
We lived in a retirement community in Arizona population 29000. Only 25% of the residents played golf. The rest just ignored it.

By talking about ailments you sometimes learn about what is troubling you.

A lot of people retire to the southwest.

Snowbirds typically get tired of maintaining 2 homes and sell the one where they keep the snow shovel.

Old 01-10-2019, 06:45 AM

19,585 posts, read 9,117,631 times
I think it is a false belief that all grandparents ADORE their grandchildren and live for them. That is true for many senior retirees, but not all. I also think it is a false belief that all seniors are stubborn.

In fact, I think that traits of retirees/seniors are very individual, and that not anything is true for ALL retirees/seniors except that in all likelihood, they are over the age of 25, lol. (I think that also applies to all age groups except, possibly, newborn infants.)

Old 01-10-2019, 06:55 AM

6,279 posts, read 4,156,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katharsis View Post
I think it is a false belief that all grandparents ADORE their grandchildren and live for them. That is true for many senior retirees, but not all. I also think it is a false belief that all seniors are stubborn.

In fact, I think that traits of retirees/seniors are very individual, and that not anything is true for ALL retirees/seniors except that in all likelihood, they are over the age of 25, lol. (I think that also applies to all age groups except, possibly, newborn infants.)

Old 01-10-2019, 09:12 AM

5,946 posts, read 5,092,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
I think a lot of that comes from the uncertainty in the world today.

It feels like no one is in charge and we're kind of just drifting along, possibly hitting an iceberg at any moment. Look at the news. Climate change. Frequent mass shootings. Complete political dysfunction. Employment stressors. Companies that were institutions like Sears are just going by the wayside. There's a lot of anxiety out there about technology. News and information comes at you at all times. We're overwhelmed.

I can see why people want to back to the simpler "old days."

No one is in charge?? Really??

How about being in charge of YOURSELF??

I'm a grown up. I am in charge of myself.

Sure there is insanity in this world. Heck, I lived in an insane house when I was a kid. But I learned how to survive.

Old 01-10-2019, 09:46 AM

30,585 posts, read 24,998,404 times
Stereotypes? That we are slow of wits. That we are baffled by computers.

Sometimes people resent the fact that we are retired, and that we draw social security benefits, and that therefore we receive entitlements—as if we are on welfare. Never mind that we paid into SS for all our working lives. That is a harmful stereotype.

Old 01-10-2019, 10:20 AM

27,074 posts, read 11,745,284 times
That gray/white hair makes you stupid.

Old 01-10-2019, 11:05 AM

5,237 posts, read 3,578,789 times
There definitely is a small subset of seniors that talk endlessly about their aches & pains - kind of understandable when one has lived life relatively healthy & then your body begins to turn on you with more & more painful surprises reminding you of your mortality closing in, everyone deals with this differently but a few obsess & are needier.

I think a bigger true stereotype is older folks talking about "when things were better" in the past, because our memories tend to filter out a lot of negativity & rely on nice, rose-colored filtered memories. I suspect this is just some evolutionary trait to help us carry on despite our reality. Plus as young'uns we had an incomplete comprehension of what was really happening, we were concerned with ourselves, our immediate wants. I remember the assassination of JFK as my first wake-up call of disturbing reality, this was soothed by the arrival of The Beatles a few months later, a more pleasant & now more frequent memory.

I guess I find that one of the worst traits of some seniors, always talking about how things "were better" when they clearly weren't if one were to stand back & view the entire time with a clear eye. I know I would hate to repeat my jr high & high school days when I think of those times honestly.

In practical terms to me this means dismissing any politicians, preachers, etc... who try to sell this pipe dream to me for their own purposes or folks who constantly repeat this myth.

Old 01-10-2019, 11:36 AM

17,287 posts, read 11,146,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hefe View Post
There definitely is a small subset of seniors that talk endlessly about their aches & pains - kind of understandable when one has lived life relatively healthy & then your body begins to turn on you with more & more painful surprises reminding you of your mortality closing in, everyone deals with this differently but a few obsess & are needier.

I think a bigger true stereotype is older folks talking about "when things were better" in the past, because our memories tend to filter out a lot of negativity & rely on nice, rose-colored filtered memories. I suspect this is just some evolutionary trait to help us carry on despite our reality. Plus as young'uns we had an incomplete comprehension of what was really happening, we were concerned with ourselves, our immediate wants. I remember the assassination of JFK as my first wake-up call of disturbing reality, this was soothed by the arrival of The Beatles a few months later, a more pleasant & now more frequent memory.

I guess I find that one of the worst traits of some seniors, always talking about how things "were better" when they clearly weren't if one were to stand back & view the entire time with a clear eye. I know I would hate to repeat my jr high & high school days when I think of those times honestly.

In practical terms to me this means dismissing any politicians, preachers, etc... who try to sell this pipe dream to me for their own purposes or folks who constantly repeat this myth.
This is so true. The older I get (I'll be 60 soon) the more I look back at memories and think about the good old days. One only needs to look at the titles of some of the threads in this forum to see that many here spend a lot of time going down memory lane.

Old 01-10-2019, 12:00 PM

8,911 posts, read 11,700,482 times
They fart in the presence of others without a care in the world?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement