Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-17-2015, 12:31 PM

8,869 posts, read 16,261,391 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by thatguydownsouth View Post
I live in Florida.....they cant drive.......seriously they cant drive.......
And they shouldn't drive. But let's get real. What kind of support would be available in your community if it were suddenly proposed to spend billions of tax dollars on effective public transit?

I have had to wrest car keys from an elder for the safety of the community. And my reward is never-ending. I now get to chauffeur her every single place she needs to go. I'm not blaming her, though. Our nation offers very few choices to seniors who do not drive.
Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2015, 05:55 PM

14,017 posts, read 20,852,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlawrence01 View Post

A five year old car in Arizona or California is not really considered old as generally, it is not exposed to a lot of road salt. With AZ's vehicle license tax which is based upon the market value and age of the car, I am greatly incentivized not to buy a car for a long time.
Quite apart from any renewal fee/tax issues, I am greatly incentivized not to buy a new car for a long time by the thousands of dollars in depreciation which a new car undergoes in the first two or three years.

Old 01-17-2015, 10:39 PM

16,368 posts, read 30,120,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jukesgrrl View Post
And they shouldn't drive. But let's get real. What kind of support would be available in your community if it were suddenly proposed to spend billions of tax dollars on effective public transit?

I have had to wrest car keys from an elder for the safety of the community. And my reward is never-ending. I now get to chauffeur her every single place she needs to go. I'm not blaming her, though. Our nation offers very few choices to seniors who do not drive.

If the friend lives in Tucson, she should have access to dial-a-ride through SunTrans. At the nonprofit that I work at, there are ten volunteers that are picked up all over town and dropped off in front of the building. The fares, I believe are $3.00 one-way or $1.00 if you qualify for reduced fare, which most of them do. All you need to do is to call one day in advance for a ride.

Old 01-17-2015, 11:14 PM

48,505 posts, read 96,589,733 times
I appreciate my vehicle for the freedom it give me; plain and simple.never changed since I was a teen really.

Old 01-18-2015, 12:25 AM

8,238 posts, read 6,545,749 times
jukesgrrl, most everything can be done on the internet these days and one really rarely has to leave one's home or apt.

Exceptions would be a doctor appt, attending an entertainment event, perhaps visiting a friend, getting out in nature beyond one's neighborhood, possible volunteer work.

Many towns/cities have online grocery delivery from local grocery stores or call-in grocery delivery. Walmart.com offers free home delivery thru US Postal Service of prescriptions at low prices.

Many towns/cities/suburbs have senior transit.

Sounds like a lot of your running around taking this person places might be basically unnecessary make-work just to pass the time. So many errands, if not most of them, are just make-work and created to pass time.

Last edited by matisse12; 01-18-2015 at 01:54 AM..

Old 01-18-2015, 12:47 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,346,059 times
There are many things I can't do because I don't drive. As an example, there is a community college that would take me three buses and about two hours to get to the classes they give especially for seniors I would love to take but it isn't worth the hassle on public transportation. There is no other way of getting there except by car.

I am not complaining, I don't drive and that's my problem. I am used to my life being somewhat curtailed by that fact. Mostly I can get around by public transportation but it is at a much slower pace than that of those who can just jump in a car and go wherever they want and even the best of transportation services don't fill that need except for expensive cab services.

Often, those rides offered to seniors have limited hours such as the one in my suburb, if you have an early morning appointment you're on your own. Sometimes they will only travel to limited places. The one in my suburb will take me to the doctor but won't take the cat and me to the vet.

Again not complaining, just stating the facts. Those who are aware of these services but do not utilize them are like those people I have always gotten a chuckle out of who tell me, "Oh, you can get wherever, I saw a bus stop sign," with no clue as to where that bus even goes. When apartment hunting, I always place myself nearest the most bus or rail lines as possible so I can get around. I don't ask anyone for rides because I don't like people to think I am taking advantage as some do.

Getting back to the stereotypes, there is a stereotype of seniors always asking for rides since it's believed they automatically lose the ability to drive. Of course some do but many are good, safe drivers into their senior years. And some like me just take a bus. But I don't think it is all that common for seniors to bug people to give them rides just for company. If that is the case, I think I would offer them company just by a visit or an outing because no one likes to be lonely.

Old 01-18-2015, 03:20 PM

30,585 posts, read 24,989,915 times
I think the biggest stereotype that I see in our culture is that seniors are slow on the uptake, or are really set in their ways.

Some of us are those things, and some of us aren't.

Old 01-18-2015, 03:28 PM

14,866 posts, read 12,004,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by staywarm2 View Post
Ten years ago in Florida, I used to see lots of tiny little old people driving great, big Cadillacs!
We still see quite seniors around this neck of the woods driving older, bigger cars. Seems as though 2000 Buick Centuries are pretty popular among that set. Still see quite a few Cadillacs too.

Old 01-18-2015, 07:17 PM

8,821 posts, read 4,482,367 times
ALL stereotypes about Seniors are, at the same time, True and False.

Old 01-18-2015, 10:00 PM

34,882 posts, read 30,982,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jukesgrrl View Post

I had dinner at the Sarasota Outback tonight. Multiple seniors badgered their servers about overcooked food and quibbled seemingly needlessly over bills. My food came out perfect and the bill was accurate. If these people are honestly senile and cannot evaluate food or a bill properly, they don't need to be driving. However, that's different than saying mass transit ought to fill the gap. That gap doesn't need to be filled by the taxpayer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement