Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2015, 04:41 PM

5,097 posts, read 6,322,426 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
OP, you must have some pretty impressive vacation time each year after all those years working. In your shoes, I would sit down and plot out the four or so weeks of vacation for the next three years—something exotic,something you've never done before. A week or more each season of the year that is so exciting that the time between those vacations will fly by. You look strong and healthy in the pic you posted. You can do it.
What photo?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2015, 04:55 PM

460 posts, read 997,681 times
It sounds like you're miserable, why don't you just leave now. Enjoy life while you can.

Old 01-13-2015, 05:10 PM

2,189 posts, read 2,593,454 times
I feel your pain! Will also apply the suggestions here to my own situation.

Old 01-13-2015, 05:15 PM

8,091 posts, read 15,371,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by volosong View Post
I've done my research and created a timeline for when and where I will retire. It's a loose timeline and could certainly change. On the outside, I will retire on March first, just over three years from now when I am 66 and a half. The reason for March first is that I will have just completed thirty-five years with my employer. I admit that it is a silly reason for choosing a specific date. I could go sooner, but want to wait at least until I'm eligible for Medicare, which is about a year and a half away.
When you hit 66 and a half, I will bet that ... you will be going over your spreadsheets figuring out a way to do it now. You won't be able to help yourself.

As for a specific date, I did it on April Fools Day. Silly, yes. But it really had my supervisor hoping it was all a joke.

Old 01-13-2015, 05:21 PM

1,544 posts, read 1,687,022 times
I'm gong through the same thing, but with 1 1/2 years to go. I have a countdown clock on my home computer that tells me the exact number of days, hours, minutes and seconds.
I'm spending time working on my new hobby (photography) and preping for my move. Each week I go through a box from the closet, basement or attic and usually get rid of over 2/3rds of the box.
Since I will be moving when I retire, I'm making of a list of things I want to do in my hometown before I move.
All this helps keep the countdown in perspective.

Old 01-13-2015, 05:37 PM

6,593 posts, read 7,256,025 times
You do not have a lot of time if you start using long weekends etc to test out what you want to do in retirement.

Old 01-13-2015, 06:25 PM

16,042 posts, read 21,910,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brava4 View Post
What photo?
He posted a photo of himself on his bike a while back. He looked strong and healthy to me!

Old 01-13-2015, 06:50 PM

30,585 posts, read 24,955,649 times
Once you decide to retire, your work becomes less meaningful. For me it happened during the year I retired. I had to wait until October, and from Jan on I was restless. It became harder and harder to be happy at work the closer I got to R day.

So, OP, try to make the most of your time. If there are major purchases you need to make, or expensive fixes you need to initiate, do it now while you have good income. Don't forget to save, save, save either. Also, take some good vacation time in the next 3 years. Vacations help a lot in a situation like this, I think.

And don't go to work sick. Take your sick days if you need them.

I think it helps to have a step by step plan. You tick off the steps one by one as you go.

Good luck!

Old 01-13-2015, 07:40 PM

1,336 posts, read 1,817,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by volosong View Post
(disclaimer: I've never spend even a single day in jail/prison. I apologize if my analogy is incorrect.)

I've done my research and created a timeline for when and where I will retire. It's a loose timeline and could certainly change. On the outside, I will retire on March first, just over three years from now when I am 66 and a half. The reason for March first is that I will have just completed thirty-five years with my employer. I admit that it is a silly reason for choosing a specific date. I could go sooner, but want to wait at least until I'm eligible for Medicare, which is about a year and a half away.

Now that the planning and preparation is done, all that is left is for the time to pass. This is where I feel like I'm serving a sentence and am eagerly awaiting the time when I will be released and can go on to the next phase of my life. I'm "stuck" in my current routine/life and it is difficult to wait for the next phase to begin.

I wish that a day would pass when I wouldn't think about retirement, or some aspect of it, sometime during the day. It is a curse! I think I'm ready.
I retired from a government job that most of us felt like was a well paid Prison. I totally get your analogy and I never spent time in jail either.

I left at 53! Took a hit on the pension, but did not care. The 12-hour days and getting up at 5:45 a.m. for years was taking a toll physically. We sold our house near the ocean and moved to a lower cost area, still in San Diego County.

Our agency did not offer health care so now I am "Bronze" and happy pay the health care premium. I call it "The Cost of Freedom."

I had planned on lasting until 55 but really hit the wall, gave three months notice, and escaped Prison.

Now taking classes and doing volunteer work. Life is one billion time better!

Old 01-13-2015, 08:35 PM

10,213 posts, read 14,753,640 times
I'm not a runner, but, when I had to run, I learned an important lesson: "Don't start focusing on the finish line before you get close ... otherwise, you will run out of gas before you get there."

Retirement is the same way. If one gets too focused on the specific retirement date, it will become extremely difficult to find the interest and motivation to keep going on the job.

The alternative is to focus on something one enjoys or hopes to accomplish on the job ... and let the retirement date take care of itself.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement