Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2015, 07:26 AM

11,147 posts, read 15,918,477 times

Advertisements

. The bucket list changes.
At 55, going on an African safari feels like a do-or-die trip. At 65, many people are fine experiencing it on the Discovery Channel.

This is the perhaps the best explanation of why my wife and I retired in our early 50s rather than waiting until a more traditional retirement age. I can't imagine having had to wait an additional 10-15 years to begin our extensive traveling around the world. And it still seems like there isn't enough time to see everything we want see and do everything that we want to do. And who knows how much stamina (and good health) we'll have to do it in another decade or so.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2015, 07:36 AM

36,499 posts, read 53,807,259 times
I'm betting most people would retire earlier if they had the resources. You are fortunate.

Old 01-14-2015, 08:11 AM

3,573 posts, read 4,486,678 times
I find parts of my body are letting me down.
Arthritis rears its ugly head, causing less stamina.

I have a much shorter fuse.
I get tired of listening to endless complaining from acquaintances. These aren't my
friends.

Old 01-14-2015, 08:18 AM

1,248 posts, read 4,048,442 times
People are living longer soon more people will live to age 120 or later. What will changes be from ages 100-120?

Old 01-14-2015, 08:28 AM

698 posts, read 1,047,907 times
i will be 72 this year, and i haven't really noticed a great many physical changes. i do have some arthritis in some fingers, but, thankfully, not in my hips or knees; i go up and down stairs frequently each day. in public buildings, if i have an appointment on the third or fourth floor- no higher-, i usually walk up rather than take the elevator. on a parking lot, as have been recommended, i often park farther away from the building where i'm going, even if a closer space is available.

i retired almost 11 years ago, and as my husband of 36 years had died not long before and i was beginning a new relationship, the reality of retirement required reinvention on many levels. i did become involved in teaching adults- something i had never done- in life long learning, and it has helped to define my "reinvented " life. i also have become more involved in writing, an avocation for many years, and this is a large part of my life now.

i would say that health is slightly more prominent on the radar screen, but happiness is still important. i do feel that happiness has come to mean contentment more so than in the past, but i can't attribute that exclusively to aging.

i will agree that intimacy is as least as important to me as sex, but i would say that both are as important to me as they ever have been.

i've never had a bucket list and don't really have an interest in developing one. life is full of surprises, good and bad, and if one can look at each day as an adventure, that may be, for me, the only bucket list required. i don't always take that viewpoint, but i have often found that the day is more meaningful to me when i do.

catsy girl

Old 01-14-2015, 09:56 AM

1,959 posts, read 3,088,872 times
I was fine until I had back surgery at 57 years of age. Whether it was from the ghastly year of pain before the surgery or the surgery itself, both my mental and physical self changed drastically. I aged "30 years overnight" as my friend remarked and my personality changed (oddly enough). Now, I get so very tired easily, have weird nerve symptoms everywhere, no patience with anyone and have much less impulse control. I wonder how it would have been if my back didn't go bad.

Old 01-14-2015, 10:27 AM

2,159 posts, read 1,649,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
actually we generally age once every ten years.

that means at some point things turn different all at once and stay put for a decade .

police artists use that in their projections.
Thank you for this information. This last year I seemed to have aged overnight, but it's not so bad. I can stand it for ten more years

Old 01-14-2015, 10:28 AM

21,020 posts, read 19,214,293 times
The hormone change made me hungrier, thus always having a great
waistline and flat tummy...I don't anymore...not a big deal...but...it is a change.
I feel great tho .... esp with very very low carb intake...so much happier and
less hungry.

Oh, I'm mellower, more patient, don't care what people do or think....
love my solitude and peace more...go out with friends way less.

Old 01-14-2015, 10:28 AM

11,147 posts, read 15,918,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
I'm betting most people would retire earlier if they had the resources. You are fortunate.
I'm sure that's no doubt true. However, I started planning for a retirement in my 50s back at age 22 when I got married, graduated from college, and went to work full-time. I wonder if "most people (who) would retire earlier if they had the resources" can say that.

Old 01-14-2015, 10:32 AM

3,563 posts, read 5,347,063 times
All these posts pretty much fly in the face of national governments wanting to raise the retirement age!

You start to run out of gas. No more dragging around 4'X10' form plywood for this guy. I REALLY started
noticing the strength thing going between those years. But try to stay active, even if it's just walking.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement