Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-21-2015, 10:37 AM

2,838 posts, read 3,172,291 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowsnow View Post
I've heard this all my life and it's never been true for me. I pretty much despise forced exercise.

I started running because it took too long to walk 5 miles. I resented the time. Kept waiting to get the 'runner's high' thing. One day I went out and ran 8 miles. The only thing I got was tired.
Find a kind of exercise you enjoy and it won't seem forced. I tried a bunch of things before finding what worked for me.

If I had to go to a gym and use the machines, I probably wouldn't want to exercise either.

Last edited by Windwalker2; 01-21-2015 at 11:09 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2015, 02:29 PM

16,042 posts, read 21,924,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Windwalker2 View Post
Find a kind of exercise you enjoy and it won't seem forced. I tried a bunch of things before finding what worked for me.
What works for you?

Old 01-21-2015, 09:31 PM

26,648 posts, read 28,516,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
What works for you?
Echo. Yes, please do tell.

I can hardly wait to drive all the way back to freezing New England and start to go to the gym. Whoopie.

It excites me to even think of bundling up in my heavy down jacket with hat, gloves, scarf, and boots, and go trundling down the front steps, landing on my bum on the ice right beside the car. What fun!

Then I can drag myself to my feet by holding onto the hood of the car and proceed to shovel the snow off the entire car. Yeh, I'll do it in layers of just a few inches at a time. Shouldn't take too long.

Maybe there'll even be a layer of ice under the snow and I'll get to have fun with the ice scraper. Of course the engine will be running with the defroster going so I'll get some help with the ice melting. If the car will start and there isn't a lot of ice on the road, I'll even drive to the gym. It only takes about ten minutes to peel off all those heavy clothes and reveal the bathing suit that will be underneath. By then the exercise class will be over and I'll get dirty looks but so what? The gym is FUN.

You know, I think I'd much rather be exercising in the pool on a cruise ship in the Caribbean or some warm place like that. It's just a little bit easier.

Old 01-22-2015, 10:16 AM

2,838 posts, read 3,172,291 times
Quote:
What works for you?
I do Nia using DVDs at home. I like it because it has helped strength, balance, endurance, and aerobic conditioning. And I find it really fun, with the music. I also like that I can do the movements in the way that doesn't hurt me. I can't do floor yoga things. It always hurts my back. So I just don't do that part if a routine has it.
https://nianow.com/

I also swim laps year round.

I aim for 150 min./per week of these two things.

And then my dog wants me to play keep away so that adds to it.

Old 01-22-2015, 02:05 PM

7,084 posts, read 12,598,662 times
Am I in the minority because I really enjoy the gym?

Sure, sometimes I have to prod myself to go, but once there, I enjoy my routine. (20 minutes on treadmill, 20 minutes on bicycle), 20 minutes with free weights and some machines.

I try to tone/use all moveable parts so they don't rust out ...lol. Love running into folks I know from the community and do some catching up.

Affterward, I feel so relaxed and...righteous. And I sleep very well, most tension worked off.

Also do some bicycling outside, yoga once a week, and dog-walking as I'm a pet-sitter. I'm not much good at being sedentary I suppose.

Old 01-22-2015, 02:35 PM

8,091 posts, read 15,385,554 times
Quote:
Am I in the minority because I really enjoy the gym?
Nah, I think I am.

I'm still wrapping my head around the fact that people are going to do something they don't want to do - as the thread title implies. "Retired, forcing myself to go to a gym"

Old 01-22-2015, 02:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gandalara View Post
Nah, I think I am.

I'm still wrapping my head around the fact that people are going to do something they don't want to do - as the thread title implies. "Retired, forcing myself to go to a gym"
Not much to wrap your head around. To survive or thrive, people often have to do things they don't want to do, like give up sugar and other bad habits; exercise; move away. "The gym" is one of two reliable options in areas of the country (North or South) where at least two seasons of the year make it hard if not impossible for seniors to get exercise outdoors. If you know you're not going to invest in home equipment and actually use it, that leaves........."the gym," like it or not.

Old 01-22-2015, 03:16 PM

8,091 posts, read 15,385,554 times
We'll have to disagree then.

If I don't like something, I don't do it. Period.

Except pay taxes.

Old 01-22-2015, 04:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gandalara View Post
We'll have to disagree then.

If I don't like something, I don't do it. Period.

Except pay taxes.
You never know, when you go kicking and screaming into anything, whether you might come to like it after all. Hence, the ask for encouragement.

Old 01-22-2015, 05:20 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,003,327 times
Quote:
I drove to the senior center gym today and had to pry myself out of the car into the bitter cold. Frozen, I went in dreading every step. Was greeted by the receptionist who directed me to the gym, which partners with the Y. It's a big room with a lot of machines. Most pieces were being used. I stood outside the glass wall watching. There was what looked like a trainer? working with someone. Everyone looked like 80 years old. Well, not all. A few looked maybe 70. Hey, that's me almost. They had on gym clothes. I headed to the coffee shop downstairs. I guess I'll make an appointment for next Tuesday.
We started at the community gym 1 1/2 years ago. I went in today. DH was saying that we need to increase our visits to three a week, instead of 2. I agree. I want to walk an extra mile a week, for one thing.

I have never been a fitness buff, and still am not. I go strictly because I know I need to. We had a treadmill for a number of years, and I used it. But the gym is so much more interesting! There are new machines to try, for one thing. That's how I discovered the recumbent elliptical machine. Using this has helped my sore knees. And I can walk on a track, instead of on a treadmill. I prefer the track. And I lift hand weights. In other words, I don't have to do one thing for an hour. I get to do several things for an hour+. And I find doing that is less boring.

So, I want to encourage you to make that first appointment, and go. Start easy, and work up. Try new things. Ask the trainers for help.

Buy some new fitness clothes too. Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement