Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-29-2015, 05:20 PM

7,020 posts, read 6,244,557 times

Advertisements

YES! Next time though, as soon as u see those men come in, skip what you're doing & grab a good one. Or, more friendly, do the bike first.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2015, 05:31 PM

16,042 posts, read 21,923,032 times
She's my inspiration, lol:

93-year-old Michigan woman a fitness inspiration - CBS News

Old 02-02-2015, 03:20 AM

6,533 posts, read 7,024,571 times
That is something I plan on doing when I retire. As it is now I just don't have the time for an exercise routine so... I hope that I will find a gym that has regular yoga classes.

Old 02-02-2015, 03:32 AM

106,059 posts, read 108,015,953 times
funny about the don't have time part. actually we all really do . it is only a matter of priority. we don't find the time , we create the time.

my buddy is a ceo of a few oil companies and one of the wealthiest men in the country , at least he used to be ha ha ha .

but anyway he never had time for much as he was always doing and going.

well he had a heart attack and one of the things he needed now was daily exercise.

well now every morning he finds his way to the gym before work. whatever was in that slot is no longer that important and that got shifted to another time slot or not even done
i know our gym time after work comes out of our tv watching or internet time. been that way for us for 15 years now and is just our routine now.

cardio days are done in an hour and weight traning days are just 35 minutes. we go 5 days a week and sometimes 6.

we don't find the time , we create the time. it is only a question of priorities in your life. being diabetic and not needing medication for either the diabetes or my high bood pressure as well as now off lipitor has made this a priority . the running 3 miles every other day has done more to help all my numbers than i ever thought possible.

Last edited by mathjak107; 02-02-2015 at 04:05 AM..

Old 02-04-2015, 10:34 PM

30,585 posts, read 24,998,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
Please give us an update! How are you doing?

Old 02-04-2015, 11:44 PM

11,181 posts, read 10,488,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
Here's the thing: that woman obviously ENJOYS going to the gym, she doesn't have to talk herself into it or force herself to go.
If you don't enjoy it, then the gym is just not for you. That's not to say the enjoyment will come immediately. Give it 6-8 weeks, which is about the time it takes for a habit to develop. If after that time you're still struggling, give it up and try something else.

I've kept up an at-home fitness routine since 2009 not because it's "good" for me but because I derive satisfaction/enjoyment from it. I would have lasted maybe 2 weeks in a gym or on a treadmill, but I have friends who enjoy those, to each her own.

Somewhere I have a link about a 70+ year-old woman in NYC, one with very limited income who lives in subsidized housing and puts in many miles/hours each week jogging back-and-forth in the hall outside her apartment. I can relate and could happily do that. The difference between doing so and using a gym elliptical seems obscure until you've actually tried both and discovered that one or the other works or doesn't for you. If you're doing something that doesn't work, it's like having a tiny rock in your shoe - eventually it will drive you nuts. There are so many ways to stay fit and active that it's senseless to try to stick with one that's not working.

edit to add: Here's something I bookmarked just this week: Hooked on Pole Arts, this 64-year-old defies gravity. Would she have been happy jogging in a hallway? I doubt it. But she's a huge inspiration for me in that she found her bliss and didn't let her age deter her.

Last edited by biscuitmom; 02-04-2015 at 11:56 PM..

Old 02-05-2015, 06:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by biscuitmom View Post
Here's the thing: that woman obviously ENJOYS going to the gym, she doesn't have to talk herself into it or force herself to go.
If you don't enjoy it, then the gym is just not for you. That's not to say the enjoyment will come immediately. Give it 6-8 weeks, which is about the time it takes for a habit to develop. If after that time you're still struggling, give it up and try something else.

I've kept up an at-home fitness routine since 2009 not because it's "good" for me but because I derive satisfaction/enjoyment from it. I would have lasted maybe 2 weeks in a gym or on a treadmill, but I have friends who enjoy those, to each her own.

Somewhere I have a link about a 70+ year-old woman in NYC, one with very limited income who lives in subsidized housing and puts in many miles/hours each week jogging back-and-forth in the hall outside her apartment. I can relate and could happily do that. The difference between doing so and using a gym elliptical seems obscure until you've actually tried both and discovered that one or the other works or doesn't for you. If you're doing something that doesn't work, it's like having a tiny rock in your shoe - eventually it will drive you nuts. There are so many ways to stay fit and active that it's senseless to try to stick with one that's not working.

edit to add: Here's something I bookmarked just this week: Hooked on Pole Arts, this 64-year-old defies gravity. Would she have been happy jogging in a hallway? I doubt it. But she's a huge inspiration for me in that she found her bliss and didn't let her age deter her.
Thanks for this post this a.m. as I get up to a fresh blanket of snow and feel like hiding under the quilts. But the sr ctr gym closes at 11:30 and your post convinces me to get my butt in gear.

Two laughs here: one from the image of the woman running up and down her apt hall. I bet her neighbors love that! And the other of defying gravity. I do that every day by sitting on the couch.

Old 02-05-2015, 06:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by silibran View Post
Please give us an update! How are you doing?
See post below. Kicking and screaming, though not as loud as before.

The constant snow makes me want to stay comfy with a book. I spent an hour yesterday looking up places to live in GA or FL.

Old 02-05-2015, 08:59 AM

4,029 posts, read 2,102,009 times
Hey, NEG, would love to have you check out GA and meet up....

Sounds like you are doing a little better, not hating the gym, but not loving it either. Give it a little longer---it just may grow on you, especially if you take lots of classes (and I say this as a PE reject my entire life). I've not gone to the gym for a week due to strep throat and I am having withdrawal...

Old 02-05-2015, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzcat22 View Post
Hey, NEG, would love to have you check out GA and meet up....

Sounds like you are doing a little better, not hating the gym, but not loving it either. Give it a little longer---it just may grow on you, especially if you take lots of classes (and I say this as a PE reject my entire life). I've not gone to the gym for a week due to strep throat and I am having withdrawal...
You're in GA? What part?

Just got back from the gym, 1 1/4 hr there. Did the routine, though I felt weaker today than usual because of being indoors so much this past week due to the weather. Not sure this gym thing is going to work, not so much b/c I don't like it but b/c...I eat anything not nailed down when I return home. I am starving! On one hand it may be a good thing because traditionally I never get truly hungry. OTOH, I'm packing the calories that I just shed in the gym right back on. If it's going to prove to be a wash, maybe the effort of the gym isn't worth it. Then again, I do feel better posture and circulation so yeah, I'll stick with it...thick, thin, snow, ice, sleet, rain....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement