Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2015, 05:18 PM

16,042 posts, read 21,924,417 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
we break the weight days into upper and lower body and try to hold the workout to 6 exercises 3 sets of 10-12 on each using free weights and machines..

one weight day is all legs ,squats and stomach. the next weight day arms ,back and chest, stomach.

we alternate weight days with intense cardio usually running 2-1/2 miles on my work days and 3.25 miles on my days off.

you have seen pictures of us and i guess we are holding up ok.
Thanks. I'm not overweight or flabby per se, just not really fit. I think I need a trainer. Did you have one?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2015, 05:22 PM

538 posts, read 534,558 times
NEG, I don't mean this for you, but people in general.

The best motivation to start working out, is to stand naked in front of the mirror and take inventory of what needs to improve.

Old 01-15-2015, 05:23 PM

16,040 posts, read 10,610,095 times
I finally just got an iPhone and decided to put one of those pedometer, step counter apps on it. Thought I'd like to see how much I walk on an average day without making any extra effort. It's supper time now and I've walked slightly more than 3,500 steps and I've been "active" a whole 42 minutes all day. The rest of the time I was driving or sitting on my butt. Yikes -- that is not good. The goal was 10,000 steps. Even accounting for the fact that I didn't start counting steps until mid-morning I'm way too sedentary and need more exercise.

Old 01-15-2015, 05:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by biscuitmom View Post
NEG, is there a Curves in your area, have you ever tried one?
They're newbie friendly and provide a structured workout. After you get into the groove you could switch to a regular gym if you want.

I only work out at home (running, walking, rowing machine, free weights, yoga) so I've never set foot in Curves nor any gym of any kind. But I know several women who go to Curves and they're satisfied with it.
No Curves within a reasonable driving distance. The new senior center here has partnered with the Y, which is next door. They have a gym at the center and coaches from the Y, at only $20/mo for seniors. So I'll start there. I have to figure out a system of reward for making myself go 3 x week (they're only open till noon, and I have other commitments 2 mornings a week). I know it's a "reward" in and of itself to get fit, but I need some kind of motivation to just get there and stick with it, so maybe a $ kitty to buy myself something each time on the way home (do you sense my dread??).

Old 01-15-2015, 05:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunGrins View Post
I finally just got an iPhone and decided to put one of those pedometer, step counter apps on it. Thought I'd like to see how much I walk on an average day without making any extra effort. It's supper time now and I've walked slightly more than 3,500 steps and I've been "active" a whole 42 minutes all day. The rest of the time I was driving or sitting on my butt. Yikes -- that is not good. The goal was 10,000 steps. Even accounting for the fact that I didn't start counting steps until mid-morning I'm way too sedentary and need more exercise.
Walking on flat surfaces does nothing for me. There's an indoor and an outdoor track at the college I can use (and have used in the past), but it's boring boring boring to walk in circles on a flat track even listening to music.

Old 01-15-2015, 05:28 PM

48,505 posts, read 96,610,333 times
I have been going on four months now three days a a week and now joined by my wife. just pick the right fitness place. I joined Planet fitness and its open 24 hrs a day.I think they have 360or so in US and some in Canada. I mostly do machines ;no free weight where its easy to injure yourself at 67. Start slow and read on what you pulse means on line. That way you can not only feel but see your progress. I say over half are boomers when I go always. Their machines are really simple to learn as far as setting. there are few body builders who most stay at free weights area. google Planet Fitness.

Old 01-15-2015, 05:45 PM

1,433 posts, read 1,055,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
Friends my age are mostly working or otherwise engaged, or they go to the gym like at 6:00 a.m.

On these freezing cold bleak morninsg I cannot get anywhere before 10:00. I realize that's part of my laziness but I don't think that's going to change anytime soon. Maybe I'll meet someone at the gym who would become a buddy, so that's a good thought.

You sound like me....10:00 am wake up is considered daybreak for me (but then I'm a nightbird who normally doesn't go to bed until 3am)....I've always been a "night person" and early morning wake ups when I worked were a killer that left me groggy & dazed all day - this was even if I got a good night's sleep of 7 -8 hrs; when I worked nights I could go on 4 - 5 hrs of sleep but stay up all night without the same grogginess. There is truth to the idea that some people are born night owls while others are early risers.

Anyway I digressed.....I was going to say why not get a home exercise bike or treadmill?? You can find some good deals now and/or pick up a quality one used. Some even come with laptop shelves (and there are add on aftermarket shelves that can be used) that you can use to watch Netflix, online shows, etc. - believe me, it really helps to remove the monotony and a hour or two fly by when you're attention can be on a show you're interested in while treadmill walking, stationary biking, etc. - Instead of sitting on a couch watching a tv show you can normally watch them (even the primetime shows) free online the next day via the network websites...Netflix or Amazon video at $8 - $9 a month gives you thousands of shows, movies, documentaries, etc.

I started out without anything and found I got bored just staring straight ahead and most times I was just clock watching waiting to finish....now I find I exercise longer since I'm being entertained in a sense while exercising and I want to finish watching what I queued up so I keep going till it ends. Plus, I can work out anytime of the day you want, no membership fees, no kicking myself in the butt to get to the gym, no having to drive and/or go out in freezing/inclement weather, etc.

Just an idea but it might work for you.....it did for me.

Old 01-15-2015, 06:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
I have been going on four months now three days a a week and now joined by my wife. just pick the right fitness place. I joined Planet fitness and its open 24 hrs a day.I think they have 360or so in US and some in Canada. I mostly do machines ;no free weight where its easy to injure yourself at 67. Start slow and read on what you pulse means on line. That way you can not only feel but see your progress. I say over half are boomers when I go always. Their machines are really simple to learn as far as setting. there are few body builders who most stay at free weights area. google Planet Fitness.
Yes, there is a Planet Fitness near me. Do they have trainers?

Old 01-15-2015, 06:17 PM

106,062 posts, read 108,035,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
Thanks. I'm not overweight or flabby per se, just not really fit. I think I need a trainer. Did you have one?
we had no trainers until we learned the basics on our own. it was about a year in r so.

we found you are so busy concentrating on the basic stuff that much of what the trainer provided would have been lost early on.

we have not had trainers in years and basically are just on auto pilot now.

Old 01-15-2015, 06:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by luckyram View Post
Anyway I digressed.....I was going to say why not get a home exercise bike or treadmill?? You can find some good deals now and/or pick up a quality one used. Some even come with laptop shelves (and there are add on aftermarket shelves that can be used) that you can use to watch Netflix, online shows, etc. - believe me, it really helps to remove the monotony and a hour or two fly by when you're attention can be on a show you're interested in while treadmill walking, stationary biking, etc. - Instead of sitting on a couch watching a tv show you can normally watch them (even the primetime shows) free online the next day via the network websites...Netflix or Amazon video at $8 - $9 a month gives you thousands of shows, movies, documentaries, etc.

I started out without anything and found I got bored just staring straight ahead and most times I was just clock watching waiting to finish....now I find I exercise longer since I'm being entertained in a sense while exercising and I want to finish watching what I queued up so I keep going till it ends. Plus, I can work out anytime of the day you want, no membership fees, no kicking myself in the butt to get to the gym, no having to drive and/or go out in freezing/inclement weather, etc.

Just an idea but it might work for you.....it did for me.
Well, I would prefer this idea over trekking to the gym...but would I really stick with it if I am responsible for motiving myself every day? And, is a bike and treadmill as all-around balanced as the myriad pieces of equipment at a gym? One thing I do is the minitrampoline (10-15 min) while watching the evening news on TV. I have to have low-impact because of a serious leg problem (old case of thrombophlebitis), and so any kind of exercise class that would have me impacting on a floor would never work. I also think knowing how to do progressive weights,as coached in a gym, would be of great benefit at my age.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement