Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-22-2015, 02:37 PM

106,671 posts, read 108,833,673 times

Advertisements

I am back down to prediabetic levels thanks to running. No meds at all. I run 3-1/2 miles every other day alternating between weights one day and running the next.

The difference in blood levels and pressure is amazing since i stopped the bike and went back to running.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2015, 03:24 PM

10,834 posts, read 14,936,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
I am back down to prediabetic levels thanks to running. No meds at all. I run 3-1/2 miles every other day alternating between weights one day and running the next.

The difference in blood levels and pressure is amazing since i stopped the bike and went back to running.
Just got back from Anytime Fitness where I worked out for 10 minutes on the weight machines and then did my usual mile fast walk.

1.08 miles in 20 minutes 25 seconds... nothing special for someone 30 years old but it's a good aerobic workout for me with a pulse rate of around 130 after 10 minutes.

Running... honestly, I don't think my legs can handle running right now but maybe if I lost the extra 30 lbs around my gut I could.
There is nothing special here but what I would like to do is go more often as in twice a day.

Old 03-07-2021, 07:21 AM

4,242 posts, read 947,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RiverBird View Post
I'll check out those gloves. Living up here, many including myself are paranoid of catching flu.
How I long for the days when we were worrying about the flu

Old 03-07-2021, 07:28 AM

6,300 posts, read 4,197,862 times
When living in Ohio I found swimming three times a week at the ymca and then dancing exercise videos at home worked out better than a gym during the cold months.

Old 03-07-2021, 08:55 AM

8,373 posts, read 4,391,884 times
On one side of my family, everybody has lived into their 90s and 100s without ever having heard of a gym :-), but all of them seemed to have a passion for long walks, which I have as well. When I am at home (meaning all the time in the past year), I pace up and down all day, usually with the book I am reading, which I guess qualifies as a long walk too. I have never been to any gym since I graduated from high school. But I have started doing the plank exercise recently since the lower half of my legendary flat abdomen has started to pop out ever so slightly, like I guess in someone in early pregnancy (though I have never been pregnant either, and don't believe I am now at 61 :-). I think the stomach-popping matter could be due to posture/bone changes, due to age-related lumbar hyperlordosis of the spine, but I'll try and see if planking can do something about it... it would be pretty shocking to lose my figure, I never expected that!!

Old 03-07-2021, 09:36 AM

18,725 posts, read 33,390,141 times
After a heart attack at age 75, my father stopped driving a taxi 12 hours a day every day and stopped working, was walking two miles a day every day until cancer at age 87 got him. The walking was really valuable. He was going to live with me but "there's no where to go", he'd walk every day to the supermarket a mile away to get one item. There were woods and a lake and lovely surroundings but he wanted a destination "I'm a city boy." Also wanted to walk to the train to Atlantic City to gamble what little money he had left after paying his small bills. He couldn't afford a car and eyesight prevented driving anyway. I do think the walking and perfect eating after the heart attack gave him many more years of healthy life.

Old 03-07-2021, 09:42 AM

8,758 posts, read 5,055,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolinaMoon1 View Post
How I long for the days when we were worrying about the flu
Sadly Riverbird has passed away, some time ago. This thread is very old.

Old 03-08-2021, 01:19 PM

545 posts, read 1,605,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcandme View Post
Sadly Riverbird has passed away, some time ago. This thread is very old.

Post 193 is a spam post, bumped up the thread.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement