Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2015, 01:28 PM

16,042 posts, read 21,923,032 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by carnivalday View Post
I got myself a moderately priced treadmill and set it up in a spare bedroom along with a TV. That way I can walk several miles, ice tea in hand, TV show to watch, and not have to leave home. Works for me!
I'm starting to think this way, after today.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2015, 01:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
That late?
I'm struggling with my inner demons any earlier than that.

Old 01-16-2015, 01:48 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,237,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
I drove to the senior center gym today and had to pry myself out of the car into the bitter cold. Frozen, I went in dreading every step. Was greeted by the receptionist who directed me to the gym, which partners with the Y. It's a big room with a lot of machines. Most pieces were being used. I stood outside the glass wall watching. There was what looked like a trainer? working with someone. Everyone looked like 80 years old. Well, not all. A few looked maybe 70. Hey, that's me almost. They had on gym clothes. I headed to the coffee shop downstairs. I guess I'll make an appointment for next Tuesday.
Maybe it's time to think "snowbird" or even moving.
Further south the weather is much nicer and you can be outdoors more.

While we had a spat of cold weather here it's now in the 60's and sunny (at least for the next week).

I was outside yesterday afternoon raking leaves and got my veggie garden all cleaned out and built another box for even more next year.

I'm not a gym person. I tried that and it didn't work. But I am an outdoor person and love to tinker around the yard doing this and that and going for walks in the woods (15 acres of woods).

Old 01-16-2015, 01:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Maybe it's time to think "snowbird" or even moving.
Further south the weather is much nicer and you can be outdoors more.

While we had a spat of cold weather here it's now in the 60's and sunny (at least for the next week).

I was outside yesterday afternoon raking leaves and got my veggie garden all cleaned out and built another box for even more next year.

I'm not a gym person. I tried that and it didn't work. But I am an outdoor person and love to tinker around the yard doing this and that and going for walks in the woods (15 acres of woods).
Are you a Texas native? Or did you move there in retirement from someplace north? I cannot even imagine visiting Texas much less living there, but you seem to love it. Your summers are pretty hot though, right? Living in an area of the country that does not have brutal extremes would be a definite plus for my physical activity level.

On topic, I'm wondering, if one were to invest in two or three pieces of equipment for home use, which pieces some of you would recommend. (I think it's the number of equipment pieces at gyms that overpower my imagination.)

Old 01-16-2015, 02:26 PM

253 posts, read 376,747 times
Quote:
Are you a Texas native? Or did you move there in retirement from someplace north? I cannot even imagine visiting Texas much less living there, but you seem to love it. Your summers are pretty hot though, right? Living in an area of the country that does not have brutal extremes would be a definite plus for my physical activity level.

On topic, I'm wondering, if one were to invest in two or three pieces of equipment for home use, which pieces some of you would recommend. (I think it's the number of equipment pieces at gyms that overpower my imagination.)
My personal preference would be to purchase an exercise bike (or maybe a real bicycle for outdoor use), a treadmill (or eliptical for lower impact workouts) and some weights.

I haven't set foot in a gym in years and tend to run (indoors or out) and use hand weights for workouts. Last year, I discovered a free online workout called Bikini Body Mommy. I think that the name is atrocious, but the workouts are great for women who need to fit a workout into a busy schedule and don't have time to get to the gym.The workouts require hand held weights in a few sizes, a yoga mat, a chair and a towel.

Old 01-16-2015, 04:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMartianChick View Post
Last year, I discovered a free online workout called Bikini Body Mommy.
I'd rather stop eating than do that routine every day, really. You must be in great shape.

Old 01-16-2015, 04:53 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,237,900 times
Quote:

No native here. Born and raised in NYC and moved to the south as soon as I was old enough.
I hate the winters and hate being cold for months on end.

Old 01-16-2015, 05:41 PM

10,420 posts, read 14,544,206 times
Quote:
Thanks. I'm not overweight or flabby per se, just not really fit. I think I need a trainer. Did you have one?
Bear in mid that personal trainers have little or no training. Don't risk a potentially crippling injury. Consult with an orthopedist before beginning any exercise program. A tread mill, stationary bicycle, or just a flight of stairs at home can provide you with all the exercise you need. If you climb stairs at home don't worry about exercise at all.

My dog likes to romp around my place and I always accompany her when we're outside the fenced area. I probably walk a couple of miles each day doing this. Cold weather won't kill you; dress for it. But again, if you walk up and down stairs, don't worry about it. People who live in two story homes do live longer.

Gyms are hotbeds of infection; I understand that athlete's foot is particularly entertaining.

I often bring plants I haven't seen before into the house to identify. Since I'm in dry country I can do this all year. Learn how to use a key for identification and you'll learn some botany as a bonus.

Old 01-16-2015, 05:56 PM

2,518 posts, read 2,744,205 times
I'll tell you what I did. I have an aversion to going to the gym - the idea of actually having to schedule time in my life to go and then drive there, plus dealing with all the issues mentioned above, turns me off.

So, after being in physical therapy for a back problem, I bought myself some hand weights in various (light) weights. And a stretchy band, and one of those foam rollers. All available at Walmart or equivalent store of choice. I was able to continue the stretching and weight-based exercises at home, in front of the TV, when I choose. I do them every other day - tried doing them more often and didn't see the same amount of progress as I do on my present schedule. I have several friends who have done the same thing. I should also add that I walk one of my dogs about 3-4 miles in the morning, the retired horse gets a mini-hike of 1-2 miles every other day, weather permitting, and then the old creaky dog joins the youngster and me for an evening walk of about 1 mile, depending on just how creaky he is on any given day. Sometimes he's my "weight" as I wind up carrying him part of the way (lameness issues). I'm starting to increase the reps as I can tolerate them as the PT said my main concern should be to increase stamina rather than strength.

So far that's worked for me. I had to skip about a week last summer due to oral surgery and could I ever tell the difference! Took me awhile to get back to where I left off.

Maybe if you can find a qualified trainer or PT, if that's possible, to get you started and then do an at-home program? Whatever you choose, it's the old "use it or lose it" coming true.

Old 01-16-2015, 06:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy in Wyoming View Post
I often bring plants I haven't seen before into the house to identify. Since I'm in dry country I can do this all year. Learn how to use a key for identification and you'll learn some botany as a bonus.
??
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement