Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2015, 04:47 PM

16,042 posts, read 21,963,273 times

Advertisements

This is the last thing I want to do, but I realize finally at the age of 66 that living in the North I am not getting the outdoor exercise I want to believe I'm getting. I'm turning into a couch potato. I'm unnerved by this. I have never done a gym on a regular basis, and in the past when I've tried it, I've had an aversion to the equipment (doing the settings on each, worrying about germs from previous users, feeling bored with the routines, etc). I have to do something or I'm going to croak. I need some advice on this, and encouragement. I realize most of you have been doing the gym for years, and it's old hat to you. I am going kicking and screaming.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2015, 04:50 PM

106,579 posts, read 108,713,667 times
marilyn and i have been forcing ourselves to go daily for 15 years now.

it was easy in the beginning because not only were we motivated but you saw the results. my arms were getting bigger and bigger.

today things are measured not in gains but in what we are not losing and just maintaining.

we go just 6 days a week now. we alternate one day weights ,one day a 3 mile run.

between age and losing 30lbs from not eating the way i was because of the recent diabetes diagnoses i lost quite a bit of muscle mass. i still have more than most my age but nothing like i was .

Old 01-15-2015, 04:56 PM

5,097 posts, read 6,345,505 times
I feel your pain. it can be soooooo hard to do.

Old 01-15-2015, 04:57 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,690 posts, read 57,994,855 times
I am going kicking and screaming.

You really need and exercise buddy... someone(s) who will drag you kicking and screaming.

It is way too ez to not go solo. If you are in a car pool / with a group, it is not so easy to skip.

Really helps to have someone with similar passion to keep you 'fighting' to improve health / stamina.

Spouse does not work too often for this level of pain.

Hopefully you can find someone there who shares your schedule and will EXPECT you to be there tomorrow!

Old 01-15-2015, 04:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
marilyn and i have been forcing ourselves to go daily for 15 years now.

it was easy in the beginning because not only were we motivated but you saw the results. my arms were getting bigger and bigger.

today things are measured not in gains but in what we are not losing and just maintaining.

we go just 6 days a week now. we alternate one day weights ,one day a 3 mile run.

between age and losing 30lbs from not eating the way i was because of the recent diabetes diagnoses i lost quite a bit of muscle mass. i still have more than most my age but nothing like i was .
So what's your routine when you get there?

Old 01-15-2015, 05:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
I am going kicking and screaming.

You really need and exercise buddy... someone(s) who will drag you kicking and screaming.

It is way too ez to not go solo. If you are in a car pool / with a group, it is not so easy to skip.

Really helps to have someone with similar passion to keep you 'fighting' to improve health / stamina.

Spouse does not work too often for this level of pain.

Hopefully you can find someone there who shares your schedule and will EXPECT you to be there tomorrow!
Friends my age are mostly working or otherwise engaged, or they go to the gym like at 6:00 a.m.

On these freezing cold bleak morninsg I cannot get anywhere before 10:00. I realize that's part of my laziness but I don't think that's going to change anytime soon. Maybe I'll meet someone at the gym who would become a buddy, so that's a good thought.

Old 01-15-2015, 05:01 PM

241 posts, read 272,567 times
I am a year from retirement and have never done a gym until 8 weeks ago. I always walk at lunch in the summer but slack in the winter. I am hoping the exercise helps my BP.

So, at work they just built a small gym with 6 pieces of machinery and some weights. I decided to come in early do 30 minutes every morning. I am in week 8 of this. I used to hate the idea of machines.

So, I use the rower, bike and tread mill for a combination that add up to 20 minutes or a little better. By varying the machine mix/rotation I now keep it a little fresh. I also bought some good Bluetooth ear buds and watch some shows on my phone or listen to talk radio. For me this helps.

Many here do a ton more and would call this a wimpy workout (some of my friends too), but I am pretty proud of it so far. I may try to increase the time over time. Have a ways to go and still have to force myself sometimes.

BTW, For settings I always go manual and increase speed and incline every 2 minutes or so and then walk it down. This also helps by having mini-goals during the time on the machine. I also do about 5 minutes of weights at the end.

good luck and get started.............................

Old 01-15-2015, 05:03 PM

we break the weight days into upper and lower body and try to hold the workout to 6 exercises 3 sets of 10-12 on each using free weights and machines..

one weight day is all legs ,squats and stomach. the next weight day arms ,back and chest, stomach.

we alternate weight days with intense cardio usually running 2-1/2 miles on my work days and 3.25 miles on my days off.

you have seen pictures of us and i guess we are holding up ok.

Old 01-15-2015, 05:06 PM

11,181 posts, read 10,526,555 times
NEG, is there a Curves in your area, have you ever tried one?
They're newbie friendly and provide a structured workout. After you get into the groove you could switch to a regular gym if you want.

I only work out at home (running, walking, rowing machine, free weights, yoga) so I've never set foot in Curves nor any gym of any kind. But I know several women who go to Curves and they're satisfied with it.

Old 01-15-2015, 05:08 PM

i figure everything at the gym pretends to be something else.

you can , pretend to climb stairs, you can pretend to be outside jogging, you can pretend you are rowing.

i want to sit on the couch ,eat chips and pretend i am at the gym. ha ha ha

i am changing the family crest emblem for retirement into a beer can and a hammock.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement