Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2015, 09:57 AM

23,593 posts, read 37,364,888 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZDesertBrat View Post
I'm 72 and getting ready to saddle myself with a 30 year mortgage. It's something I really want. It will be my home for the rest of my life no matter how long or short that is. When I'm gone my kids will have a winter getaway, if they want it. Or they can sell it and split any profits. I really won't care. In the meantime I'll get to enjoy having my OWN home again and I'm jazzed about that.
Hear! Hear! We did the same when I was 63. When we're both gone perhaps one of the seven children between us will want to buy out the others for a comfortable vacation house across the street from the large lake I'm looking over as I type. It's also just 22 miles from a major entertainment town and in a beautiful region of the country. Then again, perhaps they'll all just want to sell it and split the equity.

In the end it won't matter to us. Until that time comes it's our home and we certainly enjoy it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2015, 10:01 AM

23,593 posts, read 37,364,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
Lifetime membership discounts are a gamble.
Nah! Everyone has a lifetime. The value of the membership depends upon whether yours is days or decades but you still get the discount.

Old 01-21-2015, 10:36 AM

45,046 posts, read 60,086,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chasva69 View Post
Well it’s a certain other activity (if you know what I mean) that remeinds me

You mean handling wood, yes?

Old 01-21-2015, 11:20 AM

21,695 posts, read 28,350,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
Do you really want us to answer that? (–:
LOL! Don't you DARE!!

Old 01-21-2015, 11:28 AM

327 posts, read 567,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
You mean handling wood, yes?
yeah, that’s one way to put it

Old 01-21-2015, 12:13 PM

37,758 posts, read 40,857,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TamaraSavannah View Post
Or the time I was at a house warming for an acting girlfriend, a junior in college. One of her friends asked me, "So how do you know Stephanie?". That really gets the message across about the age difference. At least in that case, though, age difference doesn't immediately translate into being old.

In fact, we were doing an acting exercise of responses, where face to face, someone says what immediately comes to mind and the other has to respond without thinking about it. So the other person said, "You have to be the oldest student I've ever seen!"

And what did I say?

"Ouch!"
For the Stephanie story:

"She dropped her pacifier. I picked it up. We hit it off. The rest is history."

Response for the "You have to be the oldest student I've ever seen."

OMIGOD and I've never seen anyone as young as you with cankles.

Old 01-22-2015, 05:54 AM

8,775 posts, read 11,867,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
Hear! Hear! We did the same when I was 63. When we're both gone perhaps one of the seven children between us will want to buy out the others for a comfortable vacation house across the street from the large lake I'm looking over as I type. It's also just 22 miles from a major entertainment town and in a beautiful region of the country. Then again, perhaps they'll all just want to sell it and split the equity.

In the end it won't matter to us. Until that time comes it's our home and we certainly enjoy it.
Every time I read about where you live I think it just sounds soooo nice. Not quite that "nice" here but not bad either.

I won't care what my kids do with any property I own but I WILL have a Will. Unlike my mom. This is causing some problems now but I have no interest in any of it so don't really care. My kids won't be left with a 'mess' if I can help it.

Old 01-22-2015, 05:57 AM

45,046 posts, read 60,086,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZDesertBrat View Post
Every time I read about where you live I think it just sounds soooo nice. Not quite that "nice" here but not bad either.

I won't care what my kids do with any property I own but I WILL have a Will. Unlike my mom. This is causing some problems now but I have no interest in any of it so don't really care. My kids won't be left with a 'mess' if I can help it.

I might leave mine with one. The little ****s (31, 29, 25, 18) are now buying me Christmas and birthday presents they want. DVDs of programs I've never watched but they do, things like that.

Old 01-22-2015, 06:37 AM

8,892 posts, read 19,919,256 times
If you can afford it, I highly suggest hiring a personal fitness trainer. Not some kid at the local gym with an Internet only certification but one who is 50-60 years old with hands on experience training. It isn't about muscling up but it can be. It's about balance, flexibility, strength and Heath. Sure makes getting older a lot easier.

Old 01-22-2015, 09:23 AM

11,914 posts, read 6,501,408 times
Since we don't have kids, I find myself in an embarrassing realization occasionally when I am at a party or class with late thirties or forty somethings. We start talking, laughing, and I feel like I'm their age completely. I see and feel myself that age again and then the reality will hit me -- OMG I am their parents age or older!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement