Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2015, 07:00 PM

1,829 posts, read 2,225,620 times

Advertisements

I am not quite retired (6 months out), but my two sisters are. We have paid for my brother's chemo treatments, end of life care, and final expenses because he literally had NO money, and his widow is now living on $1500 per month.

Wasn't a loan, but it was a fairly expensive proposition for the three of us over the last year - but yes, I would do the same thing every time.

Loaning my brother money? No. Covering expenses to help with end of life/extending life? Absolutely!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2015, 07:05 PM

16,368 posts, read 30,128,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gandalara View Post
Have been asked by a nephew.
Since my parents died, the nephew thinks I'm rich and I am now considered the Bank of Gandalara.

I told him sure, no problem - with a signed contract at 15% interest. With his Toys put in my garage as collateral.
He hasn't asked again.

You determined intent. (g)

Old 01-25-2015, 10:03 PM

30,585 posts, read 24,998,404 times
I have never been asked for a loan. Ever.

Old 01-25-2015, 11:07 PM

48,505 posts, read 96,603,039 times
Not by retired friends or relatives but I am not closed to it depending on reason needed. I might even give it to them not as a loan.

Old 01-26-2015, 12:50 AM

7,020 posts, read 6,244,557 times
That's very sweet tex.

Old 01-29-2015, 02:09 PM

37,758 posts, read 40,852,602 times
I'm going to guess that the same people who asked when you retired asked before you retired, too.

Old 01-30-2015, 07:01 AM

505 posts, read 714,625 times
I've never been asked, but when 2 of my sibling's spouses died I offered to loan them small(under2k) amounts of money to help out right at the time. Both paid me back within a year, so it was no big deal.

Old 01-30-2015, 09:46 AM

2,091 posts, read 1,918,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by old_cold View Post
Yes, with the understanding that they'd be changing their habits so this kind of situation wouldn't happen again
That was exactly the condition we set for one of our relatives when we bailed her out 10 years ago. She was facing losing her home due to unpaid property taxes. She also had 10K in credit card debt. We went through her spending habits and made specific suggestions before providing her with the loan (notarized promissory note with scheduled payments).

Although she had not paid us back a dime, we consider the loan a kind of 'life-changing gift' because she had made some major changes such as stopping the girls-weekend-night-out feeding the slot machines, stopping the cellphone services, removing HBO from the cable menu etc.

We have done both giving and getting loans from relatives and friends. We got a small loan from our PIL to have 20% down payment from our first home, and another from my sister for the second home (while waiting for to sell the 1st one). We paid back the loans within a year (lots of peanut butter sandwiches, home-grown vegetables and thrift-store shopping!).

Our experience with more than half dozen loans to others is that you could pretty much predict the chance of getting paid back based on the circumstances of the loans. All the loans for opening business practices or meeting 20% mortgage down payments have always been paid back well before the due dates. The two loans which did not get paid back were bailing-out-of-debt cases! In both cases (included the one I mentioned before), we knew that there would be a very slim chance of ever getting back a penny but we felt it was necessary to help our relatives.

Bottom line is that we do not subscribe to the sentiment expressed in Shakespeare' Hamlet quote below. Even though we had some 'bad' loans. We consider the loans to be good deeds. They strengthened relationships and gave both loaners and borrowers life encouragement that we could always count on each other.

"Neither a borrower nor a lender be;
For loan oft loses both itself and friend,
And borrowing dulls the edge of husbandry.
This above all: to thine own self be true,
And it must follow, as the night the day,
Thou canst not then be false to any man."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement