Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2015, 08:53 AM

1,959 posts, read 3,091,249 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dollydo View Post
Personally, I am for it. I have seen too many of my family members being poked, prodded, unnecessarily operated on, when the medical gurus knew that there was really no hope...they tried to pull that on my Dad, I knew what he wanted and I put my foot down...as with all businesses, it is all about money, the bottom line.
I don't think it is about money as much as it is about liability. Families are so quick to sue so doctors and hospitals do everything they can to protect themselves. Everyone will die and it is ridiculous to not man-up and have your DNR and Right to Die documents in order. I am looking forward to the day when we have the choice and ability to select assisted suicide.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2015, 09:30 AM

2,869 posts, read 2,105,504 times
sounds more to me like being able to make an informed decision about your and/or loved one's care choices.

Old 01-26-2015, 09:32 AM

2,159 posts, read 1,651,948 times
The only thing that bothers me about this is the label.

As far as the testing itself, how do people think patients go from regular care to hospice now?

Old 01-26-2015, 09:34 AM
bUU

12,077 posts, read 10,663,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by augiedogie View Post
I don't doubt this is coming to all as a result of the ACA/Obamacare.
Because every medical innovation from Australia is due to ACA.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LivingDeadGirl View Post
I don't think it is about money as much as it is about liability.
Which is why transparency is so a high priority in this.

Old 01-26-2015, 09:57 AM

6,808 posts, read 6,906,034 times
I think it's an excellent way for a patient and their family to know what to expect and to avoid unnecessary medical procedures that won't do any good anyway. As the article says, most patients would prefer to die at home. Unfortunately, it won't be long before some Chicken Little starts crying "death panels".

Old 01-26-2015, 10:38 AM

6,727 posts, read 9,906,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aquietpath View Post
I think it's an excellent way for a patient and their family to know what to expect and to avoid unnecessary medical procedures that won't do any good anyway. As the article says, most patients would prefer to die at home. Unfortunately, it won't be long before some Chicken Little starts crying "death panels".
A rose by any other name...

Old 01-26-2015, 10:47 AM

14,862 posts, read 12,001,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mamasplace View Post
It doesn't have to be a bad thing- this can open up new avenues of end of life care that are sorely needed.

Palliative care, hospice, etc are so underutilized and should be introduced far sooner than they usually are. That was my beef with my husband's doctors- they made him feel that the only way to fight for his life was to do it their way with deadly treatments. They were so wrong!

They prolonged his life but at a great emotional, physical and mental cost. The quality of the time he had left was greatly diminished. If we had to do it over again and he could choose again, I think he would have told them all to stuff their treatments and have bought us plane tickets to Tahiti! (I really do..)

The doctors followed the standard of care but it doesn't make any sense. It should change- and offer doctors and patients and families expanded choices.
I couldn't agree with you more. If I knew I were going to die within the next 30 days, the last place I'd want to spend those days is in the hospital.

Old 01-26-2015, 11:01 AM

23,593 posts, read 37,351,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LivingDeadGirl View Post
I don't think it is about money as much as it is about liability. Families are so quick to sue so doctors and hospitals do everything they can to protect themselves. Everyone will die and it is ridiculous to not man-up and have your DNR and Right to Die documents in order. I am looking forward to the day when we have the choice and ability to select assisted suicide.
Well, as a Mackerel Snapper (Catholic) my church is not in favor of it but I can certainly see where it would appeal to some. Realistically, however, we all already have that choice and the means, while some could be messy, are handily available.

Old 01-26-2015, 11:02 AM

2,645 posts, read 3,312,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by augiedogie View Post
I don't doubt this is coming to all as a result of the ACA/Obamacare.
Of COURSE you do.

Old 01-26-2015, 11:02 AM

7,485 posts, read 10,444,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dollydo View Post
Personally, I am for it. I have seen too many of my family members being poked, prodded, unnecessarily operated on, when the medical gurus knew that there was really no hope...they tried to pull that on my Dad, I knew what he wanted and I put my foot down...as with all businesses, it is all about money, the bottom line.
^ This.

We had a family member, who was being put through so much misery, when all she wanted was to go home. She knew she was dying, and I sensed it also, but my brother would not hear of it. I was the one who was closer to her, and knew she did not want all those 'procedures' done. Really...when you are weak and fragile, you just want to be comfortable, not interfered with. At that point, they have no fear of dying. It's natural.

While I agree with much of the post about ACA, I think that applies more to younger, healthier people who are not ready to die. If the hospital staff where my relative stayed had just been honest with us...how hard is it to just tell a family member, "Look, this is the end of the line, do you really want us to do all this?". For a few years, this caused a rift between my brother and me. We have made up, but I feel more strongly than ever that I need an iron-clad DNR. My wife would enforce it, but what if she is no longer there?

Younger folks need to understand that the elderly do not share their fear of dying, that it takes a bit of time to die, and that the LAST thing most older folks want is to have a youngster try and fight them on it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement