Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2015, 08:35 PM

7,136 posts, read 12,642,507 times

Advertisements

We retired and relocated to Florida from Ohio, so we were 1,000 miles away from all of our friends and most of our family. It was hard. I read about Meetup.com on City Data and decided to check it out because I had nothing to lose. I found it and joined an adult kickball group and a Bunco group. It's been a great way to meet people, make some friends, and get some exercise. My DH went to church and through that found a book club and pickleball group for us to join. I think common interest groups are a great way to make new friends and it's worked well for us.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2015, 07:29 PM

37,758 posts, read 40,857,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZDesertBrat View Post
Google "meetup groups Sedona". For curiosity at least. You'll see a ton of options but not much I'd be interested in doing.

I am a history buff too. It's because of that I've been doing genealogy for the last nearly 30 years. And I have always admired Scarlett O'Hara. lol Read the book three times and seen the movie countless times. If there's a group like that here it would probably be about JUST the area and not particularly history in general. And we do have those here. They just aren't classified as "meetup groups".
I have been to more living history events since I moved to the southeast, than all of the rest of the years of my life. If anyone is a history buff, then the southeast is for them. I even attended an outdoor church service at a British fort (before we were the United States) with everyone else in costume and in character. I've been to Kentucky for the bicentennial celebration of the Cumberland Gap and I've seen so many Abraham Lincolns at events that you'd think they were Elvis. I've been to battle re-enactments for the French and Indian War, the Civil War and even one for WWII. I know more about my county's history in Tennessee (been here 7.5 years) than I did about the places I lived in NY and MD for all of the rest of my life. My county alone has been the site of a well known mining war, contained a gated secret city during WWII where uranium was enriched for the atomic bomb, established a model utopian type town during the building of a dam and is the location of a well known school desegregation controversy in the 1950s.

If you find an education program for retirees, you might find out a lot of local history in class offerings but even if you don't, do searches on "living history" and "battle re-enactment" with your state and you may find a whole calendar of history-related events for which you were unaware.

Old 01-31-2015, 11:40 AM

16,042 posts, read 21,924,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunnydee View Post
We retired and relocated to Florida from Ohio, so we were 1,000 miles away from all of our friends and most of our family. It was hard. I read about Meetup.com on City Data and decided to check it out because I had nothing to lose. I found it and joined an adult kickball group and a Bunco group. It's been a great way to meet people, make some friends, and get some exercise. My DH went to church and through that found a book club and pickleball group for us to join. I think common interest groups are a great way to make new friends and it's worked well for us.
What a great success story. Exercising with others is the way to go.

Old 01-31-2015, 03:59 PM

1,959 posts, read 3,092,325 times
I joined the hiking meetup group and it was fantastic. Only problem was they were all expert hikers and much younger than I and my friend and I about had a coronary keeping up with them at high altitude hiking. But it was nice and the folks were really nice. I was going to join the senior center hiking group but then I read in the paper that on a hike one of the old dudes dropped dead of a heart attack during the hike. Talk about opposite extremes in groups.

Old 05-10-2015, 12:09 PM

21 posts, read 32,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhxBarb View Post
Being a history/preservation/Scarlett O'hara buff, I would like to find a group interested in that stuff. Haven't found one yet and probably won't (in this area). So, I wish you good luck with meet ups. It sounds like a good idea but the quality of people joining is very important to the success of the group.
Is it possible to start your own group? I would love an "after all, tomorrow is another day" Scarlett O'Hara group!

Old 05-11-2015, 11:14 AM

4,023 posts, read 3,785,572 times
I have joined ones that were almost right - maybe slightly too far or fairly relevant to what I was looking for even if not exactly - and then posted a message on their board to see if there were others interested in an event that was closer to my location or specific interest. Sometimes no response but often I found others who were interested that way. I don't SPAM a bunch of groups that are way off from what I am looking for; just one message to a group or two that is pretty close to what I want.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement