Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2015, 12:53 AM

19 posts, read 43,396 times

Advertisements

I am very interested in Tellico Village after reading your post and looking at the website. Are there many single retired people there? I'm looking for a community of friendly people with a low cost of living.

Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2015, 06:53 AM

11,026 posts, read 9,659,351 times
I live in Tellico Village. I will say that it is largely retired couples, but there are singles and there are people who become singles through the loss of their dear spouse. There is so much to do here and so many groups/clubs that singles will not be bored. There is even a group just for singles, the Solo Club, and the churches also have singles' activities. All activities are open to anyone wanting to participate, and many participate alone in things that their spouses are not interested in, so you wouldn't feel out of place.

The title of this thread made me come back to it today to write. We are so happy here. Last night we took a long (2 hours!) moonlit walk in the 4" snow that fell night before last. It was so peaceful to walk the cart path on the golf course through the dark neighborhood, paused along the lakeshore to take in the reflections in the still, dark water and reveled in the quiet and beauty of the night. It honestly takes my breath away. We feel so safe here and so content.

Old 08-01-2015, 12:01 PM

3 posts, read 6,132 times
Where in Texas? Retired to small town near Brownsville 3 years ago and hate it.

Old 08-01-2015, 12:50 PM

5,946 posts, read 5,092,267 times
I am happy where I am. Have been retired (health problems) since 2010. At that time I lived in a one-bedroom apartment in another town, still in central NY on the 3rd floor (no elevator!).

Then I moved into an income-based senior apartment and am happy here, too. For a while I went a little batty with wanting to move to NC. I was on that rant for about 3 months. But over time I realized I could not afford to make the move. Have thought when money problems get better I can visit places I want to see. I have a small circle of friends I have known for 40 +/- years and some others who are much newer to me. I like all of my doctors here.

I think during that 3 month period, I was wanting to "run away" from situations/people. But realized I did not have to do that to have peace and tranquility in my life.

So the simple answer is I am happy staying here.

Old 08-01-2015, 01:20 PM

2,398 posts, read 3,822,973 times
NE KS. Not my first choice climate-wise but I'm happy enough here. The closest town of size is a 90K college town with a lot of historical charm. Kansas City is an hour or so away. Pretty much anything can be had or done there. My physical surroundings are lovely treed rolling hills, very green and I love our property half covered with trees, old stone walls, thousands of birds, lots of wildlife. People are friendly enough though I definitely don't fit in the political climate here very well.

This will certainly not be our last stopping place because at some point we will get too old to care for this property and the family reasons that we moved here for will not likely exist so when that time comes, we'll probably find a smaller town in a cooler climate.

Old 08-01-2015, 08:35 PM

7,020 posts, read 6,244,557 times
The longer I live here the more content I am. Went grocery shopping today & when folks saw me in the motorized cart, with my cane in it, they were so nice. Reached for things I couldn't reach, moved out of the way when I needed to pass, helped me find aisles when I asked, just nice. Then the cashier was also very friendly. When I asked him to pack the bags evenly, he did & when I got home they were easy to bring inside & unpack. The young man who helped me bring everything to the car was sweet too.

Am I going to get that type of treatment anywhere else?

Also, my neighbors are friendly without being intrusive. My across the hall neighbor is a bit too attentive. She knocked loudly on my door because I hadn't opened the blinds. I assured her I was alive & we'll, but it is nice to know we have that in place here. Most of my neighbors are 80 & above so they all do watch for evidence of movement. That's a good thing. I make sure I open the blinds once I'm up, lol.

Old 08-01-2015, 08:58 PM

14,017 posts, read 20,854,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meo92953 View Post
The longer I live here the more content I am. Went grocery shopping today & when folks saw me in the motorized cart, with my cane in it, they were so nice. Reached for things I couldn't reach, moved out of the way when I needed to pass, helped me find aisles when I asked, just nice. Then the cashier was also very friendly. When I asked him to pack the bags evenly, he did & when I got home they were easy to bring inside & unpack. The young man who helped me bring everything to the car was sweet too.

Also, my neighbors are friendly without being intrusive. My across the hall neighbor is a bit too attentive. She knocked loudly on my door because I hadn't opened the blinds. I assured her I was alive & we'll, but it is nice to know we have that in place here. Most of my neighbors are 80 & above so they all do watch for evidence of movement. That's a good thing. I make sure I open the blinds once I'm up, lol.
Meo, I know you have thought about trying to leave the cold winters behind, and that is understandable. But my thought here is that living in an environment where the people are friendly and helpful is huge and it may not be easy to duplicate elsewhere.

Old 08-01-2015, 09:28 PM

7,020 posts, read 6,244,557 times
My thoughts exactly, the more I think about it. I can always vacation in a warm spot when I get tired of winter.

Old 08-02-2015, 01:42 AM

255 posts, read 448,972 times
We are happy here in Las Vegas. We came from southern California because it was too expensive to live there. We bought a single story townhouse in a nice area about 20 minutes away from the center of town, near the mountains. It's beautiful where we are. We're in a planned community started by Howard Hughes and we have lots of greenery, rolling hills, and views of the mountains all around us, as Las Vegas is a valley. The heat is not a problem for us as we're not in it very much and when we are, it's a dry heat. So no miserable humidity. I've found the people here to be pretty nice. But I am aware that many people do not like Las Vegas and I think if I wasn't in such a nice area, I probably wouldn't like it as much either. So our neighborhood counts a lot toward our happiness with living here.

Old 08-02-2015, 07:58 AM

16,042 posts, read 21,924,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meo92953 View Post

This situation echos the theme of familiarity, which my favorite poster, LiveContent (who no longer posts) talked about so frequently in his "five-F" theory..."Familiarity, Friends, Family, Food, and Feel of the area means more as you age..." Not everyone subscribes to that, but I'm finding it's truer for me each year I get older...and older. Adventurous is good, and I endorse that for those who are that way. Maybe I'll change in a few years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement