Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2015, 07:09 AM

2,061 posts, read 1,951,596 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by brightdoglover View Post
The general isolation. The town is 900 people, the county only 4,000. One traffic light. Six hours to Denver or Salt Lake City. A hospital 30 miles away. More car-dependence than where I live now. I agree, I'd love the dry air and never cease to thrill at the sight of the big mountains, but I'm thinking that those things are more things of vacation.
Those are major. I suppose that the trick is to find the same type of view and quiet closer to a city with the amenities you need. We were lucky enough to do just that.

I hope that you find a good spot.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2015, 10:58 AM

18,656 posts, read 33,254,654 times
My. I was really tired from an awful night at work and feeling quite discouraged when I wrote so much previously about fearing isolation, etc. (operative word being "fear."). I should know not to post (or even evaluate anything!) after working a night shift, never mind one that puts me through the wringer. All I want after such a shift is safety and comfort and curling up in my woodsy house with my dogs.
If I don't want decisions to be based on fear, I also don't want posts to be coming from exhaustion!

Old 08-06-2015, 12:50 PM

3,440 posts, read 2,614,174 times
I have not found the perfect spot for a happy retirement. I have lived all over the world and been to every state at least twice and many ten or more times. They all have something to offer but never everything.

So in retirement we settled for what meets our needs, and it's the same place that we have occupied for the past 33 years. It’s not cheap here in north Texas, California would be less expensive for a retiree. However, we have everything from great housing, doctors, entertainment and amenity’s. But best of all we have our adult boys near by who visit at least once per week.

We are not far from an international airport and can fly to any U.S. city within four hours or less. If I feel like driving I will. For me, happiness is a frame of mind and so far it's all been good.

Old 08-06-2015, 03:12 PM

18,656 posts, read 33,254,654 times
North TX more expensive than California? What's going on there in north TX?

Old 08-06-2015, 04:56 PM

3,440 posts, read 2,614,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brightdoglover View Post
North TX more expensive than California? What's going on there in north TX?
Yes, for a retiree.

Old 08-06-2015, 06:16 PM

3,038 posts, read 4,759,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by txfriend View Post
Yes, for a retiree.
I agree. I am retired in a very nice area in Southern California that is fairly reasonable. I researched living in Wichita Falls TX 5 years ago because our son and grand kids lived there. It turned out it would be more expensive to live there than here. The big thing is that I pay virtually no state income tax in California even though my income is pretty high. That is because SS is not taxed here. On the other hand the property tax in TX was much higher than what I pay here for a comparable house. Sales tax is also higher in TX.

In any event our son and his family moved to Monterey California the following year so it is a good thing that we didn't move.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement