Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2015, 12:58 PM

2,429 posts, read 4,006,352 times

Advertisements

I've always dreamed of living in Europe a few months a year, but by the time I retire in 8-10 years who knows WHAT the "international danger" situation will be. Heck, it's a consideration even now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2015, 02:25 PM

7,482 posts, read 13,512,163 times
For those looking for shorter rental periods, try searching AirBNB at https://www.airbnb.com/
Some listings show "pets allowed", and restrictions , if any.

Old 02-03-2015, 03:07 PM

11 posts, read 16,488 times
We've rented VRBO properties and we have three dogs. There's a "Pet Friendly" box you can check when searching properties on VRBO. We've always found several properties to chose from that met our needs. Some were farms and ranches with other animals.

Some owners will charge extra pet fees, some don't.

There's also house swap website called Home Exchange.

Good luck on your search!

Old 02-03-2015, 05:13 PM

7,840 posts, read 9,158,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luv4horses View Post
Do any snowbirds and sunbirds actually rent a second home for a season rather than having to own two properties? It seems such a hassel taking care of two properties all year long. I tried it for a year and it was frustrating. Are there ever people in the second location that will rent out their homes during the nice times of the year? And, here comes the big issue, will they ever let you bring your dog with you? Now that I'm retired I would like to 'try out' some new, out of state areas, but I can't figure out how to rent a nice residence (I do want clean and attractive) and still be able to have my 'best friend' with me. Do real estate agents help you locate these opportunities, or do they just not exist. Could you leave a bond with an independent party that you won't wreck the home? The property would not need to be in a high-tourist area, just somewhere within maybe an hour of some nice attractions.
There are a lot of beach front condos and beach houses for rent for the "off-season" months in and around Myrtle Beach. I know a lady who rents a condo in Myrtle Beach and a couple who rent a house on Pauley's Island. For people from the North, this works out well since the rents are a lot cheaper, and the weather is much warmer, even if it's not swimming weather, than it is in the Northeast or the Midwest.

PS ... if you don't like crowds, the Myrtle Beach area in March is great.

PPS ... I also vote for VRBO

Old 02-03-2015, 05:18 PM

2,076 posts, read 3,415,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Southern Star View Post
Were you able to get a two week rental in southeast Florida?
I'm not the poster you are asking but to answer your question, yes. We just completed two weeks at a place in Pampano Beach that we found through VRBO and it was great. Two weeks are hard, but there are some that have lower requirements, even four day minimums. Just have to keep looking.

Old 02-03-2015, 10:50 PM

16,369 posts, read 30,133,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luv4horses View Post
Do any snowbirds and sunbirds actually rent a second home for a season rather than having to own two properties? It seems such a hassel taking care of two properties all year long. I tried it for a year and it was frustrating. Are there ever people in the second location that will rent out their homes during the nice times of the year? And, here comes the big issue, will they ever let you bring your dog with you? Now that I'm retired I would like to 'try out' some new, out of state areas, but I can't figure out how to rent a nice residence (I do want clean and attractive) and still be able to have my 'best friend' with me. Do real estate agents help you locate these opportunities, or do they just not exist. Could you leave a bond with an independent party that you won't wreck the home? The property would not need to be in a high-tourist area, just somewhere within maybe an hour of some nice attractions.

Our initial plan was to keep our place in Chicago for eight months and find a place to spend the winter. If you buy a second place, you have fixed costs at BOTH places and have to maintain BOTH places year around which is expensive and stressful as you age. If you rent, you have to count on finding a place that is affordable every year.

When we were snowbirding last year, I overheard a cou0le people at the gym in Chicago talking about a $900 monthly rental in a retirement community. That evening, I scoured the internet looking for a rental in Tucson during the winter for a reasonable rent. The best that I could find on any site was $1800-3000 per month, which was out of our price range. We mentioned our desire to winter in Tucson to a number of our friends in Chicago. One hooked us up with a lady why offered us a place for $1200 per month including utilities. We came down for two months and had a great time.

Most rentals allow dogs and are dog friendly as long as you take care of their property. Some require extra deposits if you have dogs.

I like vacation rentals that are in the shoulder season. For example, Traverse City in May or September, Delaware coast in October.

As for friends wanting to snowbird in my area, I ask them to provide me with a list of what they are looking for and I sent that to the HOA president who generally knows someone who is willing to rent out their place. In fact, one of our friends has reserved a place for December 1 - February 28, 2016.

Old 02-04-2015, 12:20 AM

1,413 posts, read 3,223,375 times
Ditto Home exchange. Com.
We've traveled all over the world doing exchanges and many people allow pets. Definitely worth the annual fees.

Old 02-04-2015, 02:46 AM

23,155 posts, read 26,094,380 times
Another ditto for VRBO.
Usually, the only time you run into the 3 months or more situation is when it's an HOA that prohibits shorter terms.
Also, the shorter the term offers are generally more expensive but you say 3 months would be great so you should be fine.
If you do see something you like and it appears that it's only expensive shorter term, contact them and ask what it would be for longer. Some advertise discounts but some don't bother, even though they might be willing.

Old 02-04-2015, 05:20 AM

530 posts, read 664,641 times
It amazes me that I can't seem to get anyone on the phone at some of the HOAs in Florida. I either have to sit for hours and search the internet to even find out what their numbers are or sit on the phone and leave messages for them which then never get returned. I would like to call and ask questions about buying, renting, renting for a season, etc. I am curious about the different advantages each association has within a community. Some are comprised of five or more associations. Some have slightly higher HOA fees, some have better clubhouses, etc. Why do they make it so difficult to contact these people? I do not want to be rushed into a decision such as I feel I would be if I came down to visit and had to rely on a real estate agent to take me to a specific apartment in a specific HOA of a development. I know that agents want to show you a few places and make a sale. They can't afford the luxury of time if they want to make a living.
I did manage to get one association on the phone but it was only because the equity membership for the particular place was 58,000 plus a 20,000 initiation fee plus a 13,000 membership each year, etc. At these places, they are quite anxious to answer the phone. I am looking at places with no equity membership. Does anyone have any suggestions about how I can improve my search from afar?

Old 02-04-2015, 07:11 AM

6,533 posts, read 7,025,870 times
I found homeaway dot com was good. We rented a guest house in a subburb of Charleston SC last year. Good price and nice folks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement