Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2015, 07:55 AM

530 posts, read 666,847 times

Advertisements

Thank you for the suggestion. Much appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2015, 01:32 PM

524 posts, read 843,260 times
Don't forget the snowbird sites. When I use snow bird as a search I usually get a few good sites and also try 3 month rental in fla or some such. I think it's harder to find good rates for 3-5 months rental a year than short term...

Old 02-04-2015, 01:46 PM

I just checked snowbird.com and found ski things! Not this year! lol

Old 02-04-2015, 05:25 PM

729 posts, read 1,313,391 times
try www.tripping.com - it brings together all the websites that do rentals.

Old 02-04-2015, 05:41 PM

Wow, what a site! I just saw a luxury yacht that's only FIVE THOUSAND dollars a night...ok, I'm better now.....Let's see, I would only have to save for ten thousand years for that one lol.....Seriously, thank you for this great site!

Old 02-04-2015, 06:54 PM

16,393 posts, read 30,261,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Southern Star View Post
It amazes me that I can't seem to get anyone on the phone at some of the HOAs in Florida. I either have to sit for hours and search the internet to even find out what their numbers are or sit on the phone and leave messages for them which then never get returned. I would like to call and ask questions about buying, renting, renting for a season, etc. I am curious about the different advantages each association has within a community. Some are comprised of five or more associations. Some have slightly higher HOA fees, some have better clubhouses, etc. Why do they make it so difficult to contact these people? I do not want to be rushed into a decision such as I feel I would be if I came down to visit and had to rely on a real estate agent to take me to a specific apartment in a specific HOA of a development. I know that agents want to show you a few places and make a sale. They can't afford the luxury of time if they want to make a living.
I did manage to get one association on the phone but it was only because the equity membership for the particular place was 58,000 plus a 20,000 initiation fee plus a 13,000 membership each year, etc. At these places, they are quite anxious to answer the phone. I am looking at places with no equity membership. Does anyone have any suggestions about how I can improve my search from afar?

HOAs are generally NOT rental agents. They generally only deal with residents, renters, and prospective buyers who are UNDER contract. Generally, REALTORS are the one to call for rentals, although some do not handle rentals at all.

Old 02-04-2015, 06:57 PM

I would like to speak to HOA's in order to ascertain which one in a particular community is the best. My friend bought in a community and recognizes that the clubhouse is better in another section. Why buy and be sorry if you can find out ahead of time which one is best?
Getting this sort of information is like pulling teeth.

Old 02-04-2015, 07:17 PM

16,393 posts, read 30,261,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Southern Star View Post
I would like to speak to HOA's in order to ascertain which one in a particular community is the best. My friend bought in a community and recognizes that the clubhouse is better in another section. Why buy and be sorry if you can find out ahead of time which one is best?
Getting this sort of information is like pulling teeth.
Getting that information is quite easy. Head down there and visit the place and ask the current residents what they think of facilities. Relying on the internet or calls just does not work. About half of what I hear about the community I live in is inaccurate or outdated.

Old 02-04-2015, 07:21 PM

Yes, of course you are correct but that requires planning. People just don't walk around in the streets there. I would need to somehow get into one of their clubhouses to speak with them on a casual basis and that doesn't happen unless you buy in and get a key.
Also, I am wondering what is going to happen to the communities where there are tons of houses on sale because no one nowadays can pay the membership equity. What is going to happen to places like that where only a handful of residents can pay? It's a sobering thought.

Old 02-08-2015, 08:56 PM

Location: Approximately 50 miles from Missoula MT/38 yrs full time after 4 yrs part time
2,308 posts, read 4,120,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luv4horses View Post
Do any snowbirds and sunbirds actually rent a second home for a season rather than having to own two properties? It seems such a hassel taking care of two properties all year long. I tried it for a year and it was frustrating. Are there ever people in the second location that will rent out their homes during the nice times of the year? And, here comes the big issue, will they ever let you bring your dog with you? Now that I'm retired I would like to 'try out' some new, out of state areas, but I can't figure out how to rent a nice residence (I do want clean and attractive) and still be able to have my 'best friend' with me. Do real estate agents help you locate these opportunities, or do they just not exist. Could you leave a bond with an independent party that you won't wreck the home? The property would not need to be in a high-tourist area, just somewhere within maybe an hour of some nice attractions.
.....Hi "luv4horses"..................Thanks for the PM

To answer your question re renting as a "snow-bird'..........I can only reference my personal experiences.
NOTE:In ALL cases, I had my Brittany Spanial with me,...and in all cases I used VRBO with two exceptions as noted.

Using "VRBO" in the winter of 2005/2006:............
I rented a private residence in the "outskirts-of Sedona AZ" for 3 months......no extra deposit required for the dog & there was "Park Land" behind the house so I could "run" my dog anytime I wanted: (NOTE: For many years, I have had my dogs "Trained-To-Respond" to "cues" from a Whistle and an Electronic Collar w/ a "Beeper Horn'" on the collar. Being a Bird-Hunting Dog with VERY high Prey Drive, he HAS TO be able to run free for exercise. Just 'hunting him once or twice a week on Quail is not enough.

In July 2006, I rented for one month in the town (VRBO) of Sedona. (I wanted to see how hot it got there in the summer.) No dog deposit required.

Winter of 2006/2007 I took TWO Brittanys with me to: Saint Simons Island, GA for 4 months and got the lead on the house from a LOCAL REALTOR in Brunswick----not a Property Management Firm. Everything went fine and the Quail hunting was great, but driving approx 3000 miles each way is a long trip----won't do that again with two dogs. No dog deposit.

Winter of 2007/2008 I again went back to Sedona and rented a house (VRBO) in town for 3 months.....never again, I had to go to a local DOG PARK IN TOWN twice a day to exercise the dog. Changed locations for the 4th month and stayed at a great B&B located out in the County along the Verde River, great location, but too pricey....No dog deposit.

Winter of 2008/2009 rented a house (VRBO) for 3 months on the edge of Oro Valley (Tucson) across the street from a LARGE unfinished house Development on the edge of town ......great place to "run-the-dog" but had to look out for Coyotes and Javelina. No problems and no Dog Deposit req'D.

Winter of 2009/2010 I rented a house (for 3 months) 2 miles outside of Casa Grande, AZ on 10 acres (that backed up to the foothills of a very small mountain range) that was listed on a "sportsman-type-website". The place was set up for keeping a horse (which the owner DID have there)---the owner, newly married, lived 60 miles away with new husband. Owner offered that if I would feed the horse every day, I could ride the horse anytime I wanted....(I had horses for 26 years, so this was a "no brainer" for me.) No dog deposit.

Summary: I always spoke personaly with the owner in all cases.
It's amazing what "arrangements-can be agreed upon" in a conversation with the owner.
................It helps greatly if your dog is "Crate-Trained" and sleeps in the crate .
I even sent a picture of my dog(s) in their Crates to the owner.
Have references available if the owner seems inclined to find them acceptable as an indication of your character.

Good luck..............give it a try.

I would use a "Property-Management-Firm" as a 'last resort'! Just my opinion.

EDIT:>>> Just had an after-thought: In the VRBO listing (or any other similiar website), IF it says NO PETS...don't take that as being "gospel". Two out the places I have rented had NO PETS in their listing.........During my conversation(s) with the owner, I was able to get them to change their mind. If they insist on a "dog deposit" go ahead and agree with them-----providing YOU TRUST YOUR DOG!!!

2nd EDIT: And don't forget to remind the owner that renting to just one person IS FAR MORE BENEFIT to the owner than renting TO A FAMILY, particularly a family with children. And no, I Don't have a problem with children.

Last edited by Montana Griz; 02-08-2015 at 09:40 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement