Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2015, 01:57 AM

11,181 posts, read 10,489,756 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
TX rents (near DFW, SAT and AUS) are abnormally high at the moment due to strong economy and desirable spot.
Indeed but it's sobering, don't you think, that the going rate for a flat in Austin or Dallas compares favorably to one in San Diego? Not to mention how much we have to pay for AC, May to October.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2015, 08:29 AM

813 posts, read 1,130,052 times
Here in Miraflores, I have everything from the Pacific Ocean to Oceanfront malls,restaurants,Doctors,Dentists,massages,Church es,grocery stores,farmers markets,etc all within a few blocks to a 10 min walk from my apartment. Weather comparable to San Diego and a two bedroom apartment, water,cable,Internet,electric,gas for less than $500.00. And with falling currencies around the world my cost's actually decline every month!

Old 02-05-2015, 08:37 AM

1,566 posts, read 3,274,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by biscuitmom View Post
We spend several weeks a year in Santa Fe, and it came to mind when I read the OP.
When there, we typically spend more time sitting at red lights there than actually driving, but we're gradually getting better at knowing how and when to avoid the traffic jams.
There's definitely a learning curve to it. Although "rush hour" is a subjective thing, Santa Fe has a substantial one for its size, if only because of the high percentage of people commuting in and out for state jobs. Steer clear of those few hours and learn a few alternate routes (stay entirely off sprawly Cerrillos during the worst times) and it's fine. We've now been here almost a year and I know how to avoid the biggest hassles now. Of course, parking downtown during the high tourist season . . . that's another thing entirely.

Old 02-05-2015, 08:57 AM

5,097 posts, read 6,328,375 times
Quote:
Exactly. Services and amenities are usually clustered, so all you have to do is look for the cluster.

Yes, yes, and yes. But let's go through all this yet again.

Old 02-05-2015, 08:57 AM

17,486 posts, read 38,941,335 times
Where I live, all essentials can be found within a mile including airport! Other great shopping and essentials just a few miles away. I also have a bus stop two blocks from my house. I love it here.

Old 02-05-2015, 09:02 AM

21,020 posts, read 19,260,770 times
I have everything surprisingly within 1-3 miles Lowes, supermarkets, hardware store, coffee shop, and a Starbucks...and my mechanic.
Hospital is walking distance, Walgreens and a Kmart, also, and a
7-11 for that emergency milk for the coffee.

Only thing is a theater...but that is what big screen TVs and DVD's are for.
I'm pretty set.
I used to ride my bike Downtown and to the Library...don't anymore.

Point is...doesn't matter what city, imo.

The Thrift Stores I love to visit for my fun time...are farther away....

Old 02-05-2015, 09:47 AM

372 posts, read 574,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brokensky View Post
Goin' Coastal - yes, an airport would be helpful. We were thrilled to find that there is a shuttle service that goes between our new town and the regional airport (well, it is an international airport) which is 55 or so miles away.

Have you checked to see if there is some sort of shuttle service available for your area? It could truly be a godsend - no parking once you get there, either!
I hadn't thought of this. Thanks. I would love not to drive and pay to park. It would make air travel much more appealing again.

Old 02-05-2015, 02:28 PM

5,139 posts, read 8,822,437 times
Where I live, we definitely have a lot of retail stores, groceries stores, banks, gas stations, car repair, restaurants, Trader Joe's/Whole Foods, Starbucks/Peets Coffee, a hospital, pharmacies, churches, great library, wetlands, ocean all within 5 miles or so. I could definitely walk to a lot of them should I want to or need to, or else a short drive (although there is a lot of traffic). I find myself going out of my "city" less and less, since everything I really need is right here. Except for movie theatre, would have to drive a little bit to get to one of those. And we have a great climate too! But we do pay for all this with higher COL.

Old 02-05-2015, 03:00 PM

16,042 posts, read 21,924,417 times
Quote:
Exactly. Services and amenities are usually clustered, so all you have to do is look for the cluster.
Perhaps where you are, but certainly not in older parts of the country like New England. There are no "clusters" (wish there were). Everything is far-flung. Supermarket one direction, doctors and dentist another, mall or downtown shopping another, etc...Whether you live in cities like Boston, Worcester, NYC, Hartford, etc or in a small town (or, definitely, rural) you are packing some serious miles on in the course of one day. I often wonder about how my rural friends, and those in large cities, are going to negotiate their outings in elder years.

So, I'm curious...where are these clusters?

Old 02-05-2015, 03:02 PM

16,042 posts, read 21,924,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsychic View Post
Where I live, all essentials can be found within a mile including airport! Other great shopping and essentials just a few miles away. I also have a bus stop two blocks from my house. I love it here.
Where, approximately, may I ask?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement