Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-14-2015, 01:21 PM

2,361 posts, read 4,847,587 times

Advertisements

I have had problems with this for the last 3 years. For some reason my earnings never got posted and apparently it had to go to the SS office with a copy of my W2 and tax return for the year in question. Something to do with the information that my employer's CPA was supposed to send in to the IRS. They told me that the earnings were updated twice a year and they won't do anything about it until one year after the one in question. In other words, I couldn't get my 2012 one credited until 2014, my 2013 one credited until 2015 and my 2013 not until 2016. I feel that this is ridiculous that I'm being penalized I'm currently collecting because my employer's CPA was incompetent in getting the information to the IRS correctly. Thank goodness it's not a huge amount.

Anyway, if you must go to the SS office to have this done make sure you take along ID, your W2 and a copy of your tax return for that year.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2015, 11:52 PM

426 posts, read 503,844 times
Rothbear, you should tell your co workers about the issue with the missing wages. I would also discuss it with the boss, if you feel comfortable doing so. Having worked at SSA, I have seen employers who absconded with the tax payments. Thank goodness you have the w 2 forms. People should always keep copies and check to see if earnings are posted. It is an easy fix, and if you were already receiving benefits, you get paid back the difference in benefits. But, keep in mind that say your 2014 earnings give you an increase, it is effective January,2015.

Old 03-23-2015, 08:52 PM

2,061 posts, read 2,362,645 times
I checked today and my 2014 earnings are not yet recorded. The estimated retirement benefits went up slightly from my April 2014 statement e.g., benefit at age 62 increased $22. I assume this is due to adjustments for inflation.

Old 03-23-2015, 10:28 PM

33,016 posts, read 27,318,188 times
I always assumed they update your earnings quarterly. The annual W-2 form does not provide the information necessary to allocate quarterly credits, so wages must be tracked as they are paid.

Old 03-24-2015, 04:10 AM

764 posts, read 1,034,850 times
As of today my wife's 2014 earnings still aren't posted but mine were two weeks ago.

I don't how often SSA updates earnings, but my wife's estimated benefits are slightly higher now than when I printed a report back in April 2014. I'll assume that there won't be much change from what I see online now and whenever they post her 2014 earnings.

Old 03-24-2015, 08:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
I always assumed they update your earnings quarterly. The annual W-2 form does not provide the information necessary to allocate quarterly credits, so wages must be tracked as they are paid.
Before 1978, quarters of coverage were allocated on a quarterly basis. However, beginning in 1978, employers generally report wages on an annual, instead of quarterly, basis so with this change to annual reporting, the law provided that a quarter of coverage be credited for each $250 of an individual's total wages and self-employment income for calendar year 1978 (up to a maximum of 4 quarters of coverage for the year). After 1978, the amount of earnings needed for a quarter of coverage changes automatically each year with changes in the national average wage index.

In 2015, you need to earn $1220.00 for one quarter. If you earned $4880.00 or more, you would receive credits for the entire year.

However, if a person is just applying for benefits and needed 4 more credits in 2015 to have 40 qc's, October, the first month of the 4th quarter, would be the first month they would have their 40th quarter. That person, when applying, submits pay stubs showing they earned $4880.00 or more and could be awarded. Those earnings, however would not be used in the computation of the benefit until 2015 ended and the actual earnings were posted on their record. If they are self employed, there is a form they complete estimating net earnings from self employment for the year in question. If when they do their taxes, their net earnings are less, then obviously, they might be overpaid.

Last edited by ilovemycat; 03-24-2015 at 08:27 AM.. Reason: word omitted

Old 03-24-2015, 11:33 AM

6,330 posts, read 7,682,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQ2015 View Post
I checked today and my 2014 earnings are not yet recorded. The estimated retirement benefits went up slightly from my April 2014 statement e.g., benefit at age 62 increased $22. I assume this is due to adjustments for inflation.
I also checked yesterday and my 2014 earnings are also not yet recorded. As with yours, the benefit amounts were higher. That was nice to see. My statement doesn't show the 62 number anymore because I'm currently 63, (it does show that number).

Old 03-24-2015, 04:19 PM

2,361 posts, read 4,847,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovemycat View Post
Rothbear, you should tell your co workers about the issue with the missing wages. I would also discuss it with the boss, if you feel comfortable doing so. Having worked at SSA, I have seen employers who absconded with the tax payments. Thank goodness you have the w 2 forms. People should always keep copies and check to see if earnings are posted. It is an easy fix, and if you were already receiving benefits, you get paid back the difference in benefits. But, keep in mind that say your 2014 earnings give you an increase, it is effective January,2015.
I worked very part time for a very small business. In fact it was so small I worked out of the owner's home. I'm not even sure how many she had with regular earnings. Some of her people were contractors. She wanted me to do that, but I refused for what she was offering in wages. I don't think she would keep it, but for some reason they just aren't getting credited and never have. I'm glad I don't work there anymore. It is just a royal pain to have to go to the SS office every year as it always takes a couple hours just in waiting. What I can't understand is that if they IRS gets this info, why is it not getting into the records?

I'm sure it is not going to make a lot of difference, but since I have some years of zero income it will help.

Old 03-24-2015, 05:19 PM

11,162 posts, read 7,590,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
There is no quarterly payroll return filed with the SSA. Only the annual W-3/W-2s. (The W-3 shows the totals for all W-2s).

Quarterly payroll returns filed with the IRS show employer totals only, earnings are not broken down by employee. (Form 941). Same with annual federal payroll returns. (Forms 943, 944, 940).

Eventually, the IRS and SSA compare totals, and any discrepancy must be accounted for/corrected by the employer.

Old 03-24-2015, 05:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rothbear View Post
I worked very part time for a very small business. In fact it was so small I worked out of the owner's home. I'm not even sure how many she had with regular earnings. Some of her people were contractors. She wanted me to do that, but I refused for what she was offering in wages. I don't think she would keep it, but for some reason they just aren't getting credited and never have. I'm glad I don't work there anymore. It is just a royal pain to have to go to the SS office every year as it always takes a couple hours just in waiting. What I can't understand is that if they IRS gets this info, why is it not getting into the records?

I'm sure it is not going to make a lot of difference, but since I have some years of zero income it will help.
I have a feeling she never sent it in to the IRS, but did send you a W2. Most employers report electronically but she probably has to do a paper form, and she may not even report her own. If I still worked at SSA, there is a place on the computer we can look up to see if the employer sent in a form, but since I don't... When I did look it up for people like you, there were employers where the only people who had wages posted were those like you- manually posted by SSA after the employee submitted a W2. I am glad you insisted on having taxes taken out. So many people make a big mistake by agreeing to work off the books. When my daughter was in H.S. and then home during college breaks, she worked at an ice cream parlor and I insisted the boss pay her on the books. She was the only employee who had taxes taken out. A very young person, often they only need 6 quarters of coverage to be eligible for disability- and we have had many cases over the years of young people becoming totally disabled- car crashes, diving board accidents, cancers etc. Working on the books guarantees you a monthly check while off the books gets you nothing. I've had people who suffered terrible work place accidents, but because they were off the books, they and their families get nothing, or virtually nothing, or get SSI, which is a welfare program. I always thought that the biggest way to get people off of welfare is to get them to work on the books and that includes their bosses.

And, your comment about zero years is also important. In the end, you may have more than 35 years, and then SSA will pick and choose your highest, but if you didn't, anything is better than a zero.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement