Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2015, 10:04 PM

30,585 posts, read 24,985,387 times

Advertisements

I knew a couple or three years before I retired, when I would do so. I didn't think too much about it until that last year. But during the previous couple of years, we took some nice vacations. And I took time off to attend to my mom who was having cognitive troubles. (I was so lucky to be able to sick leave for that!)

During that last year, we took one long vacation early on, and then I just hung in. I began making preparations for leaving, only telling people who had to know at first. I really did count the months down. I was forced to attend a couple of meetings right at the end; I just wanted to be left alone by that time. I had to do some scheduling for my boss, because my replacement was not waiting in the wings. I think what got me through was handling things step by step. We had a bit of a crisis which I ended up managing, and that took a lot of energy and thought. Eventually I was a month away, and my jobs increased right up until the end. But on my next to the last day, I deleted my emails and files from my computer. Saved only the paper files needed for my replacement, gave a couple of things away, and ultimately left at noon on my last day. That last day was very emotional for me. I was quite wound up.

I think planning vacations, and taking things at work step by step helps one get through this. You definitely don't want to leave a mess for the people you leave behind. I was proud of how I left. It was important that I do the process properly--and I did.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2015, 03:21 PM

23,593 posts, read 37,351,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mastequila View Post
I'm curious what Garrison Keillor said. I'm in the situation of still loving the work I do, but absolutely hating the job environment that has evolved. I'm hoping to find inspiration, either to retire or to shift focus.
After his presentation, he entertained questions from the audience. One woman asked how he managed his time as the author of something like 17 books, signing events, talks like we'd just heard from him and a weekly radio show,A Prairie Home Companion for which he hadn't missed a single broadcast in about 35 years.

Garrison held out both his hands and said one day he was thinking about that and in his mind he gathered up all the activities and obligations he no longer enjoyed, and the people as well, and placed them in one hand. In the other her gathered up all those things and people he still valued and wanted to retain. After thinking about it some more he let go of everything in his first hand and which has left him plenty of time for everything and everyone in his second hand, and for himself as well.

After the presentation my wife and I walked home (we lived downtown) and as we did so I thought about what I'd just heard. As soon as we walked through the door of our home I asked my wife if she remembered what Garrison has said about time management. She nodded. I told her I no longer enjoyed my job. She nodded again. Then I told her that the following day, a Thursday in June, I was giving my employer six month's notice and retiring the end of December. She said, "Good!" And I did.

Old 02-12-2015, 06:00 PM

292 posts, read 356,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
After the presentation my wife and I walked home (we lived downtown) and as we did so I thought about what I'd just heard. As soon as we walked through the door of our home I asked my wife if she remembered what Garrison has said about time management. She nodded. I told her I no longer enjoyed my job. She nodded again. Then I told her that the following day, a Thursday in June, I was giving my employer six month's notice and retiring the end of December. She said, "Good!" And I did.
Isn't that what they call an "Aha! moment"?
Good advice, thanks for sharing.

Old 02-12-2015, 06:25 PM

23,593 posts, read 37,351,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mastequila View Post
Isn't that what they call an "Aha! moment"?
Good advice, thanks for sharing.
An, Aha" moment indeed.

Old 02-17-2015, 04:49 PM

30 posts, read 34,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iarwain View Post
OP, I know exactly what you're talking about. I'm about a year away from retirement, and I am counting it down. I'm still fully focused on work while I'm there, but I cannot wait until I get out of there. Like you, I don't care about advancement, I don't care about improving, I just want some smooth sailing without a bunch of changes until I can stop. I'm ready to move on to the next phase. So close and yet so far away.

I guess what keeps me going is that I look at it like this: I am putting the finishing touches on my retirement, and every day I go into work I am putting in one more brick, and putting the final dollars in.
Yes!

We are about a year away too and DH likes to quote Hadrian (via Seabiscuit) when a year feels so far away.
-Brick by brick, my citizens, brick by brick.

Old 02-17-2015, 05:17 PM

30 posts, read 34,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kauailover View Post
25 to life...ugh! I feel the same way with 3-5 years to go on my sentence...lol
It does seem like that sometimes. We've got about a year left.

DH works for a bunch of DB's and says he feels like Andy Dufresne in The Shawshank Redemption lately. The part where he's crawling through the nasty sewer pipe with his bag of belongings tied to his leg.

DH says that he knows there's light at the end of the tunnel and he'll come out golden on the other end, but the last bit is gag producing.

He cracks me up!

Yeah, we can't wait!!

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement