Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2015, 08:22 AM

4,523 posts, read 3,721,265 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
Again, I don't plan to spend my golden years having colonoscopies. But that's just me!
We didn't either and were 11 years overdue. I was fine and will have one more 10 years from now. DH had polyps and is on the three year plan now, the biopsies were negative but that could have had a different outcome if he kept going without having one. We have a friend with stage IV colon CA who is 53 and currently undergoing chemo and tests and with a 5% survival rate.

Prevention is easier than treating a disease, but this is off topic. Luckily all these tests can be done, or not done, wherever you choose to live.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2015, 08:24 AM

21,609 posts, read 12,665,258 times
It's not "prevention" (yes; words matter)... If anything, it's early "detection" so they can make even more money bombarding you with toxic chemicals earlier and longer before you die a tortured death anyway. I'll pass, thanks! None of is getting out of this world alive, although Big Pharma would have you think otherwise...

Old 05-14-2015, 08:32 AM

4,523 posts, read 3,721,265 times
Quote:
It's not "prevention" (yes; words matter)... If anything, it's early "detection" so they can make even more money bombarding you with toxic chemicals earlier and longer before you die a tortured death anyway. I'll pass, thanks! None of is getting out of this world alive, although Big Pharma would have you think otherwise...
Okay, detection of precancerous or cancerous polyps. Which doesn't involve Big Pharma and toxic chemicals, those come after something not being detected.

eta: I thought more on this and it is prevention when polyps that can turn cancerous are removed. I think the words don't matter as much as you making your point.

Last edited by jean_ji; 05-14-2015 at 08:44 AM..

Old 05-14-2015, 08:33 AM

Again, this is off-topic, but I refuse to let the medical establishment (driven by greed) make me so fearful of death that I don't enjoy life. YMMV!

Old 05-14-2015, 09:31 AM

23,155 posts, read 26,075,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by countrykaren View Post
, as like everything else, people think of it as more "desirable", so the costs rise with the demand. I pay about $4000 in taxes, but my sister in Florida pays almost as much. I have a larger house and 103 acres!

I also found- and I can only speak about Florida- that FOOD is a lot more expensive down there. Food is cheaper here in regular supermarkets, then this being Amish country (NY has the fourth largest Amish population in the US) I can shop in Amish stores (were the Amish shop, not Amish tourist stores) and get staples even cheaper.

I'm not encouraging anyone to move to Fl since there are already too many doing so
But it's hard to sit silent when I hear this .

Food is NOT more expensive. When going back and forth, found little difference. One circular looks pretty much like the other.
You speak of shopping Amish. Well, if you want to shop in the ethnic stores here, you'd be hard pressed to find things cheaper anywhere for fresh foods.
Just from the circular sitting here....lamb chops $4.69....T-Bone....$6.99...Bananas...49...Apples.$2.50 for 3 lb bag.
Most even double label the names to include English.

Old 05-14-2015, 09:54 AM

9,300 posts, read 16,595,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VJDAY81445 View Post
I firmly believe the opposite of your post that insinuates all places are equal.

Yes my current state( Arkansas ) has personal property taxes on vehicles and my former state (Minnesota) did not. However, my total tax bill here ..........2 vehicle personal property tax.....2 vehicle license fee..........real estate tax on house..........combined totals $620 per year

In Minnesota, real estate tax on comparable house in small comparable town would be about
$1800, license fees on those two vehicles were $290

Thus, although it would appear Arkansas is more expensive because they have personal property tax on autos and MN does not, I still save $1470 a year after paying extra taxes.

Also, my cooling bill in summer is way lower than my heating bill was in winter in MN.

those that say COL balances out are totally wrong.
There is a difference from city to city, state to state, and especially region to region.
I agree with Linda. It all evens out. I have friends living in SC, who pay $800 a year property tax, I pay $7,000. I would rather live where the humidity is low and there are no signs indicating poisonous snakes than in that oppressive climate, not have my military retirement taxed, no personal tax on my RV, etc. Happiness is more important to me than $$.

Old 05-14-2015, 11:37 AM

Confused; where do you live, Ellwood? I thought SC was a high-tax state???

For those assuming I'm afraid of the colonoscopy (PM), I'm not... I just don't care to live forever and don't "buy" into the whole cancer industry in this country today; it's a scam.

Just my opinion!

Old 05-14-2015, 08:40 PM

7,732 posts, read 6,298,336 times
Upstate NY is oversupplied with winter.

Old 09-16-2015, 08:41 AM

8 posts, read 7,514 times
Smile western ny retirement community Vinecroft ?

We had planned to move to Vinecroft in Clarence, NY --from CT. WNY is where I lived till marriage. We are now 68 and husband is handicapped. But our daughter (age 33) needs to live with us for at least awhile and Vinecroft won't allow that. I also would rather buy rather than rent. Renting, obviously has no equity.

Do retirement communities or independent living ever have places to buy, rather than rent?

My whole family lives in the WNY area. I'd like to be there and I like the area even if it has snow. Vinecroft happens to be in Clarence, NY. It is not in the infamous snowbelt, lake effect area.

christine

Old 09-16-2015, 09:00 AM

14,017 posts, read 20,847,399 times
Quote:
Again, this is off-topic, but I refuse to let the medical establishment (driven by greed) make me so fearful of death that I don't enjoy life. YMMV!
Having a colonoscopy once every ten years does not mean one is "fearful of death" and certainly does not mean one doesn't enjoy life. Your logic is faulty (to use understatement).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement