Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-19-2015, 05:05 PM

149 posts, read 184,398 times

Advertisements

To the original poster:
We were both born and raised in WNY, and lived there our entire lives with the exception of 1977-1979, when we lived outside of San Diego, CA.
When we were contemplating retirement the decision was made to NOT retire in NY, for many, many reasons. Weather, taxes, political climate, and especially the heavy burden of social programs.
We wanted to still have 4 seasons, with winter being short. We purchased a home in SW Kentucky last year, retired this year, and made the permanent move down here in September.
The first thing I noticed was gas was about $.50 cheaper a gallon, then when I changed my plates over to KY it cost me $29.50 for a 2 year registration w/new plates (I checked my NY reg, $96 for 2 year period w/old plates). Our car insurance went from $1,450/yr to $974/yr. It just goes on and on!
My property taxes down here are $1,20/yr., back in NY they were multiple times that. Like I said... the heavy burden of the social programs!

Oh, and the average snowfall here for the winter is 20"-22" which typically falls during Dec., Jan., and Feb.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2015, 06:43 AM

21,603 posts, read 12,665,258 times
SW Kentucky? Just remember: you get what you pay for!

Old 10-20-2015, 07:40 PM

149 posts, read 184,398 times
Yep, I'm fully aware of that! The same comments I heard from a couple of people in NY! I'm old enough to realize there are trade offs with every decisions we make in life.

I did my due diligence prior to coming here, it wasn't a blind move. We were very familiar with the area before we embarked on this journey. We have had extended visits here over the past 40 years.

What I also know is that gas is $2.00 a gallon down here right now, there are no tolls on the roads, AND the roads are GREAT! My utilities are lower, my vehicle costs are lower, my property taxes are lower (although I do have to pay for my private garbage service, $160/yr.).

The police and fire departments seem to be adequate, haven't heard of any major deficiencies there.

As for getting what I paid for... I should have been so lucky to get what I paid for in NY!! Unfortunately everyone else got what I paid for... you know: free housing, free groceries, free health care, free utilities, free cell phones, I think you get my point here.

I'm not being argumentative, just pointing out what some people may not see!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement