Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2015, 09:52 AM

35,879 posts, read 77,210,728 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by happypants 3235 View Post
So sorry to read about your husband. A lot of women sacrifice their own ambitions for the sake of their families. Men, too, no doubt but perhaps women more, though I have no hard data. Though things have changed dramatically over the past several decades, at least in the past I think it's safe to say that for women, it was expected (they would make these sacrifices). It does seem unfair and it's such a waste of human potential. But I've been in that same position myself, and I certainly understand and sympathize.

I have been fortunate that I was able to create my own business so I had something for myself despite moving with hubby's jobs. However, where I had intended to go with my career took a very different direction to accommodate being the good corporate wife. I have had a lot of women over the years (other corporate wives) tell me they are somewhat bitter as to how things worked out for them . . . and that they feel cheated out of their careers b/c of the need to take care of the the home fires while hubby moved up the career ladder. They recognize that they have the lifestyle they do and the financial security because of their husband's work/career, but they feel unfilled with not being able to fully pursue their own goals.

I wanted to get another degree so I could teach/consult in another area/field. But I am looking at the horizon and frankly not seeing things working out as I had envisioned in 2012 as far as my time and energy and what my lifestyle will entail (caretaking). Plus, I already have credentials . . . I can consult/publish with some authority without another degree. I will weigh these things out and stay flexible.

You have to do what you feel is going to get you where you need to be. Maybe you are ready for a change and so a move would be a good thing!

One thing I have thought about a lot the last few years . . . we don't get many chances for new adventures once we get past 50. If you have figured out a way to incorporate something new with future goals, why hold back?

And what if you get into a program and then decide it isn't what you wanted - doesn't meet your needs? So what. A friend reminded me last week that neither of us has a thing to prove at this stage of our lives. SO TRUE. We have both had successful careers. No regrets.

Best wishes as you make your decisions!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2015, 10:17 AM

2,838 posts, read 3,172,291 times
If you move, get a new degree or certificate, and are unable to use it to generate income because you get a serious illness, will you regret having done it?
I am a sponge for studying new things and would not regret it, but YMMV

Old 02-11-2015, 10:50 AM

268 posts, read 288,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Windwalker2 View Post
If you move, get a new degree or certificate, and are unable to use it to generate income because you get a serious illness, will you regret having done it?
Wow, MOTHER - thanks for wishing a serious illness on me. That could happen to anyone, at any age. I don't care to live under the shadow of catastrophic expectations, if you don't mind.

Old 02-11-2015, 10:58 AM

16,369 posts, read 30,133,392 times
Colonel Sanders opened his first restaurant well after age 65. If you keep putting it off, all you will get is old.

Honestly, you should look at all of the state and federal tax credits that are available for post-secondary education. There are NO age limits to them.

Old 02-14-2015, 08:43 PM

1,844 posts, read 2,417,578 times
Quote:

I guess I'd like to hear about others who have gone down this road.
I enrolled in a Tier I university for an M.S. in engineering in my early 50s. New state, working full time, kids on their own trajectories, it's an engineering town, I like learning. Might as well, I figured. Got the prereqs, took GRE (AGAIN) and applied. To my everlasting consternation, I was accepted.

We all like to think we are special snowflakes. Like you, I love learning, and I had previous STEM grad degrees. What could go wrong, thinks I.

That program nearly brought me to my knees. I'm at the very tail end, and boy am I glad I survived, lol!

I'll let you know how I really feel after I'm totally through.

In your case, you can really enjoy it. I observed in myself that studying too much on my own makes me curmudgeonly. In my case, the forced and sustained interaction with others involved in a common pursuit did much to bring me out of the shell I'd inadvertently withdrawn into.

I enjoyed the interaction! You just don't get to have freewheeling debates at work, not if you like having a pay check. Sooner or later, you're going to be trading cases and facts with somebody who takes it as a personal attack, whining ensues, and from then on it's a turf war (I learned this in my 30s). I just don't have the time, interest or bandwidth to indulge in drama wars when I'm simply trying to solve a problem in a way that is profitable.

I think you'll like it, and get a lot out of it. So what the heck? you move. If it doesn't work for you after awhile, move back. Or drive there and live in your RV on the three back to back days that you can hopefully structure your classes around. You'll be able to use the school's showers etc. Think about hosting study groups in your RV! You'll be the BMOC.

Best wishes to you!

Old 02-14-2015, 09:17 PM

23,593 posts, read 37,364,888 times
Quote:
This whole idea of being treated like, or perceived as, a "senior citizen," I find offensive. I just won't stand for it. I'll likely end up getting two associates degrees and a security certification, and I had better be treated with respect, as a regular student, or I'll take legal means to defend myself.

I think my direction is the one of the future, as people live to be older and older.

Not sure why you italicized 'pay', among other things. I can PAY my tuition; I'm not impoverished. I don't need anybody to HELP me. I don't need anybody to TAILOR A COURSE for me. After a lifetime of putting up with sexist attitudes, now I have to tolerate being put down because of my age? I don't bloody, frikkin think so.
Hmm! Respect needs to be earned. Quite frankly, to me you sound like you're just spoiling for a fight.

Don't look now but you ARE a senior or damn close to it and if you're lucky, you'll be looking more like a senior with every passing year. The only viable alternative is assuming room temperature. Another fight in the offing.

Old 02-15-2015, 07:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
Hmm! Respect needs to be earned. Quite frankly, to me you sound like you're just spoiling for a fight.

Don't look now but you ARE a senior or damn close to it and if you're lucky, you'll be looking more like a senior with every passing year. The only viable alternative is assuming room temperature. Another fight in the offing.
Have you read the TOS (Terms if Service)? Your post violates the TOS (it's a personal attack); it's not helpful, useful or accurate. It's more in the category of trolling. You really shouldn't waste your time, not to mention everyone else's.

Old 02-15-2015, 08:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jane_sm1th73 View Post
I enrolled in a Tier I university for an M.S. in engineering in my early 50s. New state, working full time, kids on their own trajectories, it's an engineering town, I like learning. Might as well, I figured. Got the prereqs, took GRE (AGAIN) and applied. To my everlasting consternation, I was accepted.

We all like to think we are special snowflakes. Like you, I love learning, and I had previous STEM grad degrees. What could go wrong, thinks I.

That program nearly brought me to my knees. I'm at the very tail end, and boy am I glad I survived, lol!

I'll let you know how I really feel after I'm totally through.

In your case, you can really enjoy it. I observed in myself that studying too much on my own makes me curmudgeonly. In my case, the forced and sustained interaction with others involved in a common pursuit did much to bring me out of the shell I'd inadvertently withdrawn into.

I enjoyed the interaction! You just don't get to have freewheeling debates at work, not if you like having a pay check. Sooner or later, you're going to be trading cases and facts with somebody who takes it as a personal attack, whining ensues, and from then on it's a turf war (I learned this in my 30s). I just don't have the time, interest or bandwidth to indulge in drama wars when I'm simply trying to solve a problem in a way that is profitable.

I think you'll like it, and get a lot out of it. So what the heck? you move. If it doesn't work for you after awhile, move back. Or drive there and live in your RV on the three back to back days that you can hopefully structure your classes around. You'll be able to use the school's showers etc. Think about hosting study groups in your RV! You'll be the BMOC.

Best wishes to you!
Thank you for your post, and the well wishes. I appreciate it. I've lived in this city before, took some courses there about 12 years ago, I think it was. Really looking forward to the interaction. No matter with how much integrity you apply to individual study, there is nothing like input from professionals who will see what you might not see and put emphasis in the right place.

I'm a teacher as well as a business owner, and I know this is true in my field. People think they can buy books and watch videos and teach themselves, but they can't.

And it's not graduate school.

Old 02-15-2015, 06:04 PM

10,815 posts, read 14,883,971 times
Quote:
It would take about five years, but here is a list of courses I would like to take which would support my current business:

BA 1115 - Web Business
BA 2100 - Basics of Global Business
BA 2104 - Entrepreneurship in a Global Setting
BA 2220 - Web Marketing
snip
That list looks great.

Last time I looked I couldn't find an expiration date anywhere on my body and I would like to take some classes as well.

I'd like to take some AutoCad classes.

I use CAD in my work but it's MEP cad which is a standalone platform that's very specialized to the industry and nothing like AutoCad.

Why? Because it's there and I can do it. Hey, you got a problem with seeing a guy in his late 60's in the classroom?

Old 02-15-2015, 06:09 PM

6,533 posts, read 7,024,571 times
Quote:
It would take about five years, but here is a list of courses I would like to take which would support my current business:

~~~~~~
ACCT 1410 - Quickbooks Complete

(List taken out to make the post smaller)

You can only get it done once you get started. Get cracking!!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement