Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2017, 04:26 PM

7,743 posts, read 6,312,486 times

Advertisements

I didn't retire, I escaped back in 1997.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2017, 07:30 PM

6,749 posts, read 5,447,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scratch33 View Post
Probably should've posted this in the 'Paranormal' forum.

I've been retired since April 2012 but still have dreams about every week about being back at work. The dreams usually involve discussing some issue or problem with bosses and/or coworkers, and usually end with me saying something to the effect of "Well you know, I'm retired now - I really don't have to deal with this."

It's very odd - in waking life I don't miss work or regret my decision to retire at all.

How about you?
I have dreams of jobs I had some 20 some odd years ago! I dream I'm actually working there and addressing/solving problems OR that I'm in hot water of sorts at work...then {I can force myself out of a dream} I wake up and say "thanks that's NOT ME anymore!"

I think we dream of experiences and things related to experiences to our life in our randomized brain firings that make up our dreams as we sleep. We "relate" to it thinking it is our current situation.
Often times I recognize it as a dream as some element/s of the working life in the dream are NOT accurate to my previous experiences.

Don't worry over it, you are normal.

Old 03-14-2017, 12:47 AM

3,222 posts, read 4,553,642 times
Back in the time when I was finally transitioning out of doing a depressing and stressful profession which made me miserable, I had different nightmares.
I'd dream I was being held down by an invisible someone and I would scream for help and no one helped me.
Another was of being alone in the house at night and someone was at the windows and doors trying to get in and I would be hiding behind the couch, etc.
Or I'd be in this big old haunted house, going from room to room, lost and panicky and trying to get out.
All themes of being trapped and vulnerable, which fit how I felt at work and in my life during those times.

Old 03-14-2017, 10:18 AM

21,695 posts, read 28,353,463 times
I have dreams about being back at the various places where I've worked. I think this is normal since it is such a big part of our lives.

I also dream about being back in school along with other recurring dreams. I don't think it means anything other than our subconscious memories running around in our heads when we sleep.

Old 03-27-2017, 11:50 AM

2 posts, read 1,495 times
Red face Retired from Post Office still dreaming about job

I have been retired from the Post Office since February 2015. (As of March 2017) I'm still having dreams about being on the job. Usually with anxiety about trying to finish my route by 4 or 5 pm. Though, as I have discovered from other quotes, I do know I'm retired in the dream and I'm only there temporarily to help out (carrying a route, for 1 or 2 days).

Old 08-04-2017, 09:07 PM

1 posts, read 748 times
I thought I was having a mental break down or something until I had a conversation with a friend about my dreams. I've retire May 2017. Just recently started having dreams every night about my job. Some of the dreams or good some or bad. I have to remind myself in my dream I'm retired. My friend has been retired 12 years and still have dreams about her job.

Old 08-04-2017, 11:48 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,003,327 times
I used to dream about a sort of fantasy workplace that did not resemble my actual workplace. It seemed to be the same from dream to dream. And I had another set of dreams that had me doing "freelance" work in various branches, none of which resembled any workplace I had ever worked at. But those dreams stopped several years ago. I don't dream about working at all now. I have been retired since 2006.

Old 08-05-2017, 06:36 PM

2,095 posts, read 1,544,293 times
Not a retiree, so maybe a bit off topic, but i used to dream of school and being late to take exams and such far after i graduated. I've dreamed about rushing to get ready for work. I guess what I'm trying to say is that it's possible these types of dreams about work, school, whatever are stress related, and that a condition is triggering the dreams. Or it could simply be your mind reliving something that you spent so much of your life doing.

Old 08-05-2017, 06:41 PM

387 posts, read 512,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanc55 View Post
I thought I was having a mental break down or something until I had a conversation with a friend about my dreams. I've retire May 2017. Just recently started having dreams every night about my job. Some of the dreams or good some or bad. I have to remind myself in my dream I'm retired. My friend has been retired 12 years and still have dreams about her job.
I retired a year ago May from a fairly stressful,challenging job. Still have some fairly vivid dreams but they are less frequent. Ive heard the term Post Traumatic Stress Disorder used a lot. Usually applies to Military or Law Enforcement. I think anyone who works for decades at any job will have a hard break from that routine. I would think that they're's a similarity to PTSD symptoms that the average retiree endures without any real guidance. I hope anyone who's experiencing difficulties would seek professional help, it's a bigger issue then many realize.

Old 08-06-2017, 08:44 AM

7,469 posts, read 6,208,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by john-staten island View Post
I retired a year ago May from a fairly stressful,challenging job. Still have some fairly vivid dreams but they are less frequent. Ive heard the term Post Traumatic Stress Disorder used a lot. Usually applies to Military or Law Enforcement. I think anyone who works for decades at any job will have a hard break from that routine. I would think that they're's a similarity to PTSD symptoms that the average retiree endures without any real guidance. I hope anyone who's experiencing difficulties would seek professional help, it's a bigger issue then many realize.
I've always attributed it to the fact that I pretty much enjoyed my job, I just wish I could finally resolve the work problem I keep dreaming about.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement