Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2018, 08:17 AM

77 posts, read 53,646 times

Advertisements

I worked for Fed-Ex for 20 years loved the job. I still have night mere with finding 100 of backages in the back of my truck and the plane leave in 5 min. Never really happened.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2018, 08:21 AM

3,280 posts, read 2,992,337 times
I regularly dream about two of my former jobs, one as a veterinary technician and the other as a police clerk. I quit the vet clinic thirty years ago, and the police department eighteen years ago. The dreams aren't generally about the stresses of those jobs, just being there in everyday circumstances with my co-workers.

Old 01-20-2018, 12:45 PM

5,694 posts, read 11,252,380 times
I retired at the end of October, just under 3 months ago. So far, very little reminiscing about past times at my job, which was in telecommunications network engineering for nearly 40 years. I don't miss being at work.

Right after I retired, I was so busy moving out of my overpriced apartment in Orange County, CA that my focus shifted quickly away from work. I was getting rid of unnecessary stuff, moving the keeper items to a storage unit and cleaning out the old apartment. That was a challenging week of hard work.

Then I took a road trip for a few weeks to the southwest to decide where to make my move to out of southern Cal. I ended up in Tucson, and it took a few weeks to find a decent, affordable and quiet 1 BR apartment to rent in the city. After that, I had to go back to southern Cal, get a rental moving van and move my stuff from the storage unit to my new apartment in Tucson. All my stuff fit in a 16' Penske rental box truck. 40-50 boxes and just a few furniture items, and my 4 bicycles. I like bikes and really should get rid of 2 of them, but I assembled all the parts onto them from bare frames so they are not off the shelf items. Maybe later this year...

It took me several weeks after moving in to the apartment in Tucson before I had everything in order and got settled in. Moving is lots of work if you are doing it yourself - no wonder I had not moved from my old apartment in Orange County for over 18 years. The last month or so I have been enjoying my freedom of not having to spend 5 out of 7 days per week dedicated to a work schedule. AZ at this time of year is a great place to be so it's lots of bike rides, hiking, exploring the surrounding area. Plenty of free time to do the chores, grocery shopping, cooking, going to the coin laundry and hanging the clothes out on the line to dry - no need for a dryer in this arid & sunny place.

I think if a person is bored and sedentary they might be more likely to dream about a former job but so far for me, the old cubicle is already a distant memory that I hardly think about any more.

Old 01-22-2018, 09:04 AM

11,022 posts, read 6,564,832 times
I had an awful dream last night which was a direct result of watching a Netflix show: "Burnt" about a very high-end chef trying to get his Michelin "3 Stars".

Took me back to my restaurant days---my parents (now deceased), siblings and all were waiting for me to wait on them even though I was retired. My mean boss had somehow brought me back and when I asked about my schedule, was told I was strictly on-call, all the time!

Now there's a real nightmare.

Old 01-23-2018, 08:02 PM

3,128 posts, read 2,231,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scratch33 View Post
Probably should've posted this in the 'Paranormal' forum.

I've been retired since April 2012 but still have dreams about every week about being back at work. The dreams usually involve discussing some issue or problem with bosses and/or coworkers, and usually end with me saying something to the effect of "Well you know, I'm retired now - I really don't have to deal with this."

It's very odd - in waking life I don't miss work or regret my decision to retire at all.

How about you?
Must be a normal thing because I have frequent dreams about my previous employer. Just the other night I dreamed I went back and my former coworkers all welcomed me back. Some even told me they knew I’d be back. NOT!

I have to be honest and say that I miss the action, the deadlines, and especially the people, but not the stress.

Old 01-23-2018, 08:10 PM

6,830 posts, read 3,195,973 times
I retired from Oregon Fish and Wildlife in 2011. If I'm lying in bed waiting for sleep and it's raining heavily I start getting nervous thinking I'm going to have to clean intake screens for...hours, days?? A fish hatchery raises fish which need constant fresh water. When the river gets muddy, it takes a crew to make sure the fish survive. I've seen a pond with 100,000 fingerling rainbow dead because the inlet screens plugged, causing no fresh water in the pond. YIKES!

Now days, I roll over and think about getting up, then smile, roll back over and back to sleep!

Old 01-25-2018, 06:11 PM

1,016 posts, read 305,232 times
Just last night I dreamed I was standing around in a very nice, busy looking office with my husband, who also worked there (this never happened in real life) and the big boss came out to explain a change in corporate structure. She was holding pre-printed payroll checks in her hand. As I said, "Oh, so our department will be doing A B C," she said with a smile, no, everyone's getting laid off. The adrenaline kicked in and I stood there trying to figure out how my husband and I were going to make ends meet, thought a second about severance pay or collecting unemployment, and then I said "Hey, wait a minute, we're all set! I forgot. We're already collecting Social Security. We can go home and relax!" Happy and relieved, that was the end of the dream.

By the way, our smiling female boss was Mariska Hargitay. No kidding.

Old 01-29-2018, 02:29 PM

245 posts, read 301,589 times
I took early retirement in the early "oughts" and to this day I dream about my old job - in both its incarnations - mainly the latter one when I was asked to go back for a temporary gig of a few months.

It (temporary) turned out to be a terrible idea. How the work culture changed in 10 years. All the fun we used to have chatting, gossiping, visiting yet getting our work done!! That was all gone. Now the new people were quiet and everyone was paranoid and management was so super paranoid over security.

They had moved to a huge office building downtown and it was hard getting around - there were card readers everywhere and super security on all computer actions.

My weird supervisor (wore the same clothes every day - just clean ones) made up even more crazy procedures. I quit after 10 days - she even wrote me up for being slow in my work. Looking back I think she was afraid of me, that they might want to replace her with me. Maybe I'm just flattering myself! Anyway, I have strange dreams/nightmares about this period every week - and its been 5 years since I worked there.

They almost always involve elevators - waiting for them - I have to get something done (anxiety I had there) but the elevators are always packed or going the wrong way. Its dark outside and everyone is going home but me because i have this THING I have to Do before I can go home, too. Its terrible - rushing from elevator to elevator - never able to get on - then one of the few times I am able to get on one I'm all alone and when I get to the main floor I need to cross the street to get into another building but its raining and I have to dash across a busy street and then I run into this other building - then I wake up.

ARRGGHH I hate this dream but I have it all the time!!

Old 01-29-2018, 11:09 PM

30,585 posts, read 24,998,404 times
I had a few dreams about working in a library, and the locations I dreamed about had no basis in reality. But those dreams went away after about a year. If I dream now, it is not about any sort of work.

Old 01-30-2018, 12:37 AM

2,212 posts, read 1,446,104 times
For years, when the jacarandas bloom in November, I would start dreaming about writing annual reports. I seem to only give them a passing thought now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement