Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2015, 11:26 AM

3,298 posts, read 2,456,845 times

Advertisements

Probably should've posted this in the 'Paranormal' forum.

I've been retired since April 2012 but still have dreams about every week about being back at work. The dreams usually involve discussing some issue or problem with bosses and/or coworkers, and usually end with me saying something to the effect of "Well you know, I'm retired now - I really don't have to deal with this."

It's very odd - in waking life I don't miss work or regret my decision to retire at all.

How about you?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2015, 12:45 PM

6,954 posts, read 11,988,918 times
Yes I do have those dreams. I retired in May 2012 and my dreams are mostly about stuff that isn't going well, that I made mistakes, that I am lost, or someone is mad at me for something. I can visualize the people there, but can't think of their names. I don't end up saying anything. The dream just ends, I wake up, and am so glad I am retired.

Old 02-09-2015, 01:20 PM

11,558 posts, read 11,993,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhxBarb View Post
Yes I do have those dreams. I retired in May 2012 and my dreams are mostly about stuff that isn't going well, that I made mistakes, that I am lost, or someone is mad at me for something. I can visualize the people there, but can't think of their names. I don't end up saying anything. The dream just ends, I wake up, and am so glad I am retired.
Same here!

Old 02-09-2015, 02:43 PM

14,806 posts, read 11,954,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhxBarb View Post
Me too! I retired from my full time job in June 2011, and I still have dreams about that job, and other jobs I've held over the years. The common thread in those dreams is that I can't do the job, I can't get to where I'm supposed to be, I don't have the equipment I need, my manager is ignoring me and for those earlier jobs, I can't get organized, people are working rings around me, I keep forgetting to punch in, and I think it's only a matter of time till I'm fired. I know I'm retired in those dreams, or close to it, and I can't imagine why I am there. I wake up relieved to know I'm retired.

I also have recurrent dreams about the house we sold about two years ago to move to our retirement house. In those dreams, I wonder why we are still there, as we don't even own it anymore. The house is mostly empty, but in some of the dreams it needs numerous repairs, in others it's still half-full of my husband's junk and he's dragging his feet ( as he did in real life when we were in the process of cleaning it out to sell) about getting rid of the stuff, says he will but still dawdles over it. I worry in the dreams about the buyers showing up while we're still there, and I wonder why they aren't there already. I keep telling my husband we need to leave, that any repairs on the house are the new owner's problem now, and we have no right to still be there.

Old 02-09-2015, 02:46 PM

16,042 posts, read 21,902,787 times
If you change "Dreams" to "Nightmares," I'd say yes.

Old 02-09-2015, 03:25 PM

9,344 posts, read 13,928,855 times
I was so done with my office/company when I retired that none of it has ever showed up in my dreams. It's been 4 yrs. That said, I wish I had the experience of the OP, being able to turn my back on the chaos with every dream!

Old 02-09-2015, 03:36 PM

247 posts, read 242,304 times
I have bad news, I retired in 2001 and still have those dreams!

Old 02-09-2015, 03:48 PM

477 posts, read 506,030 times
Nope. But I do still have "college" dreams - you know the ones I mean, the ones where its the end of the quarter and you suddenly realize you have a final in a couple of hours which you forgot you had signed up for and had never attended any classes .... EEEEEEEEE!

Old 02-09-2015, 03:52 PM

8,091 posts, read 15,364,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NeonGecko View Post
Nope. But I do still have "college" dreams - you know the ones I mean, the ones where its the end of the quarter and you suddenly realize you have a final in a couple of hours which you forgot you had signed up for and had never attended any classes .... EEEEEEEEE!
And you can't find your locker and you're in your underwear.

Old 02-09-2015, 04:04 PM
JRR

8,111 posts, read 5,563,795 times
I sometimes dream about the financial services job I retired from last April. But I have the most dreams about being back at my old job in the tire and auto service business. And I left there in 1987!.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement