Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2015, 08:10 PM

6,353 posts, read 11,591,423 times

Advertisements

I second the suggestion of Roanoke VA. It has a lot of things you like about Asheville without the high prices and hype. I also like Staunton, it is incredibly cute. Not to far from Charlottesville - which is nice but high priced.

Staunton has an Amtrack station if that has any appeal.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2015, 10:20 PM

1,342 posts, read 3,245,990 times

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i7zX8kxjfhQ

Old 02-14-2015, 12:01 PM

16,042 posts, read 21,971,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by creeksitter View Post
I second the suggestion of Roanoke VA. It has a lot of things you like about Asheville without the high prices and hype. I also like Staunton, it is incredibly cute. Not to far from Charlottesville - which is nice but high priced.

We seriously considered Staunton, nice city park, college, and on the upswing in the arts/theater. It would remain in my top 10 if we ever decided to move. We loved the James Madison U campus, just lovely.

Old 02-15-2015, 03:08 PM

16,393 posts, read 30,277,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
We seriously considered Staunton, nice city park, college, and on the upswing in the arts/theater. It would remain in my top 10 if we ever decided to move. We loved the James Madison U campus, just lovely.

I have been to Staunton, VA a number of times. It is a great town to live.

JMU is located 25 miles NE of Staunton in Harrisonburg. However, Staunton is home to Mary Baldwin College, one of the premier, all-women's schools in VA.

That area has perhaps a dozen colleges within an hour drive so there is always something going on.

Old 02-17-2015, 11:03 AM

7,840 posts, read 9,199,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlawrence01 View Post
I have been to Staunton, VA a number of times. It is a great town to live.

JMU is located 25 miles NE of Staunton in Harrisonburg. However, Staunton is home to Mary Baldwin College, one of the premier, all-women's schools in VA.

That area has perhaps a dozen colleges within an hour drive so there is always something going on.

The first time I drove down I-81 through western VA, I was surprised at how many colleges there apparently are in western VA. It seemed that every other exit had "XYZ College ->" kind of sign.

Old 02-17-2015, 12:10 PM

2,189 posts, read 2,605,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeaceOut001 View Post
NoMoreSnowForMe: Thanks for your response. I lived in San Jose for seven years in my 20s to early 30s. We left just before the huge earthquake that took down bridges on 101 (moved in early 1988). I'll look at the cost of living again. I know San Jose isn't feasible (can't afford it and when I first transferred from D.C. to San Jose, I got a 19% cost of living increase with the same company). I was stunned.

Earthquakes aren't an issue. When there, we had just what I wanted - a single-level house with real rose bushes and a decent garden. Yes, the weather was perfect. We drove to the Redwoods are amazing. I'll look again.
If you are retiring there are many lower cost communities with decent weather in CA away from the famous "glamour" cities everyone thinks of.

Old 02-20-2015, 05:22 PM

80 posts, read 55,927 times
I third the Roanoke suggestion, for the reasons Creeksitter mentions.

Old 02-20-2015, 05:47 PM

16,042 posts, read 21,971,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by creeksitter View Post

May I ask if you live in Roanoke/Salem or Staunton? (We liked that area, though it doesn't seem tons better than here in winter.)

Old 02-22-2015, 05:18 PM

6,353 posts, read 11,591,423 times
No I don't live there, jut passed through as a tourist. I think it would be much milder than New England unless you are in coastal NE.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement