Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2015, 12:10 PM

685 posts, read 715,990 times

Advertisements

I never thought I'd be posting this question here. I have about five more years before SS kicks in.
My partner, however, will be considered retired next year.

We did a massive amount of research when my last job bellied up five years ago. With no job in sight, we had to leave NY. We're in Asheville. It has culture, good restaurants, lovely views but ... We're ready to sell most of our belongings and leave. It's a tourist and hospital town (with a lack of speciality fields) and either growing too fast where it may crash due to poor planning but who knows.

The cost of living here is climbing and is over the national average, so it has to be lower. Our income is limited and will remain so until I reach retirement age.

Then we get really messed up. The South (such as South Carolina, GA, and FL) is way too hot.
The North - I won't have the ability to dig out from snow storms much longer - unless we missed
something - is too cold. The West Coast and their water crisis that's been going on for ages is out.
We almost moved to Vegas (ten years ago) but I backed out at the last minute because I was concerned about the over inflated housing market that I saw would crash and crash hard.

We considered CO but the cost of living there in various communities is as costly as here.

My father managed to live in his apt. where he eventually died. He had children (and me) overseeing him. We have no kids and are increasingly concerned about how the heck to navigate the next chapter in our lives.

I'm open to suggestions. I apologize about the vagueness of this. I've been clearing out our house and organizing it and I know I have to move faster because my body is slowing down. I also realize it's such a huge subject with so many variables, there may not be an answer.

Last edited by PeaceOut001; 02-12-2015 at 12:23 PM.. Reason: Added last line - there may not be an answer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2015, 12:35 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,287,828 times
We're not going to run out of water in CA. If they have to pump it in from somewhere else, the state is not going to have all of it's citizens crawling around on their bellies whispering "water, water..."

And this is a very very very very very big state.

I live on the far north coast, and there is enough water here, even in this drought, that there is a huge lawn at the beach front park, that is acres of mowed lawn, that is green as can be - that is not watered. It's a bit cloudier and rainier here, obviously, than L.A. or the Central Valley..

But, it's never too hot and never too cold, and the cost of living is low here for retirees. I absolutely love it. I have the ocean in my front yard, and I can drive 7 miles and be in the giant redwood forest with my dog.

If you just can't get over the idea of CA being no man's land on your list, then consider Brookings, OR. Just 30 miles north of Crescent City, and with the same as above, but without sales tax, and with Oregon laws.

By the way, the sales tax in Crescent City is 7.5%. But, CA does not tax food. The sales tax is different county to county. The SF Bay Area is near 10% last I heard, but that's not true for the entire state.

Writing off the entire west coast is silly, IMO. The weather is fantastic.

And, for what it's worth, there are affordable housing options for seniors all over the place. It's huge business now, with large companies managing tax properties. There are different levels of funding and requirements, but once you decide on a place you might want to live, go to that city/county housing authority website and check out the senior subsidized housing options. Some areas even have programs to help you buy a house, if you don't want to rent.

Personally, once I got over the idea of having a garden, which physically would be difficult for me to maintain now anyway, I like renting. No maintenance to do or pay for - wahoo!

Anyway, don't write off the west coast before checking it out. Good luck with your search.

Old 02-12-2015, 01:00 PM

16,042 posts, read 21,910,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreSnowForMe View Post
Writing off the entire west coast is silly, IMO. The weather is fantastic.
Could you address the earthquake factor? And the tsunami thing?

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/huff-w...sunami-magnet/

Old 02-12-2015, 01:09 PM

NoMoreSnowForMe: Thanks for your response. I lived in San Jose for seven years in my 20s to early 30s. We left just before the huge earthquake that took down bridges on 101 (moved in early 1988). I'll look at the cost of living again. I know San Jose isn't feasible (can't afford it and when I first transferred from D.C. to San Jose, I got a 19% cost of living increase with the same company). I was stunned.

Earthquakes aren't an issue. When there, we had just what I wanted - a single-level house with real rose bushes and a decent garden. Yes, the weather was perfect. We drove to the Redwoods are amazing. I'll look again.

Old 02-12-2015, 01:20 PM

10,420 posts, read 14,528,466 times
A while back there was a poster who was talking about a planned move to Weirton, West Virginia. I was curious so I checked. It looks rather good. Crime is about 1/3 the national average (1/4 the rate of Asheville) and the demographics are perfect for most of us. House prices seem to be very low. West Virginia has beautiful scenery.

//www.city-data.com/city/Weirto...-Virginia.html

//www.city-data.com/city/Ashevi...-Carolina.html

Old 02-12-2015, 01:21 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,137,567 times
Have you checked out other areas of NC?

Asheville is not for me - never has been. I used to spend a lot of time in the region, from the time I was a small child (we had relatives who live/d in Asheville, Arden, Black Mountain and friends in Waynesville).

I have never felt at home there. I don't dislike Asheville - it just never had the "vibe" I was seeking, and my opinion spans 6 decades.

I love Boone and Blowing Rock. But I also think there are many charming cities/towns all across NC - and most with a lower cost of living than Asheville.

So are you sure you want to leave? Have you really checked out other towns - and I don't mean just driving through or looking up statistics - I mean - talked to folks, shopped, had a realtor show you some homes in your price range, gone to a festival or some other event.

Old 02-12-2015, 02:03 PM

6,954 posts, read 11,995,735 times
There is no perfect place is there? My state is not perfect either but it sure beats all that snow and adverse weather. Yes we have miserable summers, but you can get outside, you can swim, you can do things in the early AMs and there are tons of malls and shopping and even more coming. For me, I can garden all year. A closer beach would be the ultimate.

If schools are not an issue, why not Arizona? Initially I looked all over to get out of this desert but have not found anything better. If I could afford CA, I would probably go. But with limited resources, it is very affordable for me here. I doubt it would be in CA.

Old 02-12-2015, 02:48 PM

16,042 posts, read 21,910,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brokensky View Post
Have you checked out other areas of NC?

Asheville is not for me - never has been. I used to spend a lot of time in the region, from the time I was a small child (we had relatives who live/d in Asheville, Arden, Black Mountain and friends in Waynesville).

I have never felt at home there. I don't dislike Asheville - it just never had the "vibe" I was seeking, and my opinion spans 6 decades.

I love Boone and Blowing Rock. But I also think there are many charming cities/towns all across NC - and most with a lower cost of living than Asheville.

So are you sure you want to leave? Have you really checked out other towns - and I don't mean just driving through or looking up statistics - I mean - talked to folks, shopped, had a realtor show you some homes in your price range, gone to a festival or some other event.
I second this. We explored many nice areas of NC several years ago, including Raleigh/Cary/Apex and on through the towns into WNC. We did not like Asheville; it was an immediate aversion, we could not explain why. I liked Carrboro and Hillsborough About Hillsborough | Historic Hillsborough, North Carolina, charming small towns with natural food stores and arts.

Riverwalk: www.visithillsboroughnc.com/riverwalk

Old 02-12-2015, 02:58 PM

brokensky: I have six decades under my belt, too. Yes, we looked at Black Mountain (love the senior center by the small lake just outside of the main town). Boone may be a possibility. My next door neighbor is from there. I suppose we can look. We’re right down the road from Arden – five miles and it’s getting crazy here with new apts. going up.

We’re also concerned about taking the driving test every five years. We’ve both always passed them the first time and age is affecting both of us. So, we have some concerns about that. In NY you take the test once and remained young in your photo on your license forever.

PhxBarb: Yes, that’s the problem. There is no one size fits all area in which to live. AZ concerns us both for many reasons. We considered AZ and UT on our short list before moving here.

Happy in Wyoming: I think you’ve come the closest. It’s beautiful and still a bit peaceful. I like the stats on the cost of living and we’re aware of what the weather is like. Thanks so much for looking at the data first. That was really nice of you.

Old 02-12-2015, 03:06 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,137,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeaceOut001 View Post
brokensky: I have six decades under my belt, too. Yes, we looked at Black Mountain (love the senior center by the small lake just outside of the main town). Boone may be a possibility. My next door neighbor is from there. I suppose we can look. We’re right down the road from Arden – five miles and it’s getting crazy here with new apts. going up.

We’re also concerned about taking the driving test every five years. We’ve both always passed them the first time and age is affecting both of us. So, we have some concerns about that. In NY you take the test once and remained young in your photo on your license forever.

PhxBarb: Yes, that’s the problem. There is no one size fits all area in which to live. AZ concerns us both for many reasons. We considered AZ and UT on our short list before moving here.

Happy in Wyoming: I think you’ve come the closest. It’s beautiful and still a bit peaceful. I like the stats on the cost of living and we’re aware of what the weather is like. Thanks so much for looking at the data first. That was really nice of you.
I guess what I am asking is . . . do you have to be in the mountains? And maybe I didn't make myself understood - I lump Black Mountain and Arden, etc. in with the "Asheville region" and I am not happy in the whole region, including Maggie Valley and Waynesboro. I assumed if you were not in love with Asheville you would not be turned on to Black Mountain.

And again, I am not knocking those towns - I just have never had that feeling that says "home" in that part of NC.

I also think other spots are beautiful and scenic - such as Highlands/Cashiers and Brevard - but those areas just never captivated my sense of belonging.

If you don't have to be in mountains, I was suggesting other towns in the foothills and piedmont of NC.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement