Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2015, 01:48 PM

10,025 posts, read 17,939,539 times

Advertisements

I find this thread really interesting, but OTOH, not everyone has wanderlust (in retirement or before). Personally I usually find the IDEA of travel better than the actual reality, and I don't think I'm the only one.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2015, 01:51 PM

30,262 posts, read 16,022,209 times
Wonder if he plans on doing a sequel and interviewing single seniors.

No desire for further travel here either. My focus at this point is in creativity not exploration.

Old 02-16-2015, 02:23 PM

8,612 posts, read 10,704,003 times
Agree, see it as more hassle now, we did follow the IMSA circuit intensively for a few years back in the late 80's. Those were the good old days, running into Lynn St. John in the ladies room, standing in the doorway of Bobby Rahal's motorcoach.

Now it's so commercialized, huge bucks, and the drivers you can't get near.

Regret we probably will never make F1 in Monte Carlo, or visit the family homelands of Ireland and Scotland.

But I still have hope.

Old 02-16-2015, 03:24 PM

11,150 posts, read 15,925,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by karen_in_nh_2012 View Post
I find this thread really interesting, but OTOH, not everyone has wanderlust (in retirement or before).
True, but some of us do. As I've mentioned several times previously, travel is the main reason I retired at 54. And after almost exactly 5 years, that wanderlust hasn't showed any signs of waning.

My wife and I have just completed a three-week trip throughout New Zealand, including the last week in a rental car just driving around the countryside. One fun drive was Road 309 in the Coromandel Peninsula which was a curvy, gravel, 13-mile road through the mountains from one side to the other.

Coromandel Town Activities - 309 Road

We flew from Auckland to Sydney on Valentines Day and we are now beginning a three-week exploration of Australia. We began with a performance Valentine's night of Madama Butterfly at the Sydney Opera House and will end with several days in the Outback in Alice Springs.

The trip has been wonderful and we are already trying to figure out when we can schedule a return visit. I realize that travel isn't for everyone, but for those of you like a poster above who want to travel but are wondering if you should wait until later in life, my answer would be to travel now if you can afford to do so. Don't put it off until some future unspecified time later in life. You never know what might happen between now and then. Don't be one of those people who lists not travelling enough as one of their life's biggest regrets.

Old 02-16-2015, 03:33 PM

30,262 posts, read 16,022,209 times
I agree with not putting it off if traveling is what you want.

But that's true of almost anything. If you want to go to school (for a degree or enrichment) do it now.
If you want to write a book, learn a language, build some kind of building, take up sky diving… whatever, do it now.

There's no 'someday' on anyone's calendar.

Old 02-16-2015, 03:41 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,602 posts, read 57,579,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PAhippo View Post
I agree with not putting it off ...

If you want to go to school (for a degree or enrichment) do it now.....

I am putting off my next EDU adventure to qualify for FREE / reduced 'senior tuition'
I just finished another Grad program after age 50, but it was 'free' thanks to my golden parachute. My company had previously paid for 5 degree programs. Many more desired (I luv school and travel).

Also waiting
(NOT very patiently) for the senior Parks Pass (Previous Golden Age / Eagle), I had bought 40yrs of annual passes, but cash / USA travel time is a bit tight in these few yrs leading up to age 62. I trust they will not 'Stretch-out-the age' before I get there

Old 02-16-2015, 03:56 PM

2,089 posts, read 1,914,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadManofBethesda View Post
My wife and I have just completed a three-week trip throughout New Zealand, including the last week in a rental car just driving around the countryside.
I realize that travel isn't for everyone, but for those of you like a poster above who want to travel but are wondering if you should wait until later in life, my answer would be to travel now if you can afford to do so. Don't put it off until some future unspecified time later in life. You never know what might happen between now and then. Don't be one of those people who lists not travelling enough as one of their life's biggest regrets.
We spent 5 weeks in NZ in 2012 and it was an amazing trip. The original plan was to spend 2 weeks there doing 1 week self-fly safari seeing South Island mostly from the air + spending a day on land in all the major cities. This was to follow with an one-week driving tour in the North including 2 days scuba diving in Tutukaka. As we were heading back to Auckland for our return trip, my husband experienced a detached retina so we headed to a hospital instead. The repair process involved injecting a gas bubble to hold the retina in place so we had to wait until the bubble disappeared to fly back to the US. So we were 'stuck' in paradise for another 3 weeks ;-) The only down side was that I had to be the one to drive in the left lane up and down many narrow, curvy and winding roads. I went back to the rental car and traded the stick shift Toyota Camry for an automatic Ford Focus. It was much easier driving and parking the smaller car in NZ.

I totally agree that nobody knows what might happen between now and then! "Tomorrow may be too late"!

Old 02-16-2015, 04:17 PM

2,289 posts, read 5,755,963 times
Enjoying the comments...now I see this...Hmmm....what do you think...especially about the senior travelers.

https://www.yahoo.com/travel/youre-t...093508527.html

Old 02-16-2015, 06:09 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,174,115 times
I got the travel bug out of me all throughout my working years.

I couldn't fathom doing today some of the things I did in my 20's, 30's, 40's on vacation trips.
All day hike in NM mountains ? On the go from sunup to sundown doing touristy things in cities ?

My advice to anyone not retired yet is to do that traveling and exploring during your working years.

Old 02-16-2015, 07:33 PM

5,297 posts, read 7,586,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dollydo View Post
Enjoying the comments...now I see this...Hmmm....what do you think...especially about the senior travelers.

https://www.yahoo.com/travel/youre-t...093508527.html
This is pretty rotten. I have had bad tour guides and some really good ones and some average. They were tipped accordingly. I wish I had not read that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement