Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2015, 02:49 PM

48,505 posts, read 96,610,333 times

Advertisements

No I am glad I traveled most distant places I want to when younger. Air travel just isn't the same even first class. Now days with being retired one of the things I looked forward to was returning to road trips I experienced as a kid with family. I'll often take those thru highways that go thru towns not on interstate routes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2015, 05:08 PM

8,775 posts, read 11,867,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy in Wyoming View Post
The people quoted in the article obviously hate their work. I suspect they're earning very low wages and hate tourists because those people can afford the tour and rightfully expect what they've paid for.

I've never been on a tour or cruise which is nothing but a tour on water and would never go on either one. There are all sorts of better services available. For example, light planes and helicopters fly over my place all summer taking people on air tours of Yellowstone. The people who charter the aircraft decide what they wish to see and how long the trip will be.

When I was a boy we took a decent vacation every year from the time I was two so travel just has never been that big a deal to me. At this point in my life I've been to all the distant places I wished to see and enjoy really learning more about my local area. I've had pets my entire life and don't like to leave them. For three years I only spent nights away from home for hip surgery because my older dog was having serious health problems. I have one dog now who will be 11 in about a month (first puppy I had in years) and a cat who will be 10+.

Some years ago my late wife and I had planned a trip to New Orleans and environs. A few days before we planned to leave a catalog arrived from a coin dealer in Chicago. There was a coin I had always wanted, a very scarce and expensive coin. It would have been irresponsible to have both taken the trip and bought the coin. Thankfully, I had married the right woman. She told me to buy the coin; we could go to New Orleans another time. Almost all of the time I've found better ways than traveling to spend money.
I think I've worked with tourists my whole life in hotels and restaurants. I worked in Fairbanks, AK for two years at a resort that catered to Princess Cruise folks who were doing the extended interior tour(s). By the time they got to us they were tired, hungry and cranky. And demanding. In the morning, at breakfast, they were still tired and cranky because they didn't get any sleep. Bright daylight 24/7 and I'm sure it messes with their body clocks. They were probably nice folks under different circumstances.

I also worked at Grand Canyon for a couple of years right next to the airport. Also a couple of helicopter tour companies. It was an all the time thing to hear the planes and helicopters all day long. I've been to Yellowstone but never did an air tour. Did a few at Grand Canyon.

I can only remember one real vacation when I was a kid. I was 13 and we went to Lake Meade and camped and then to visit family. With six kids I doubt they felt they could really afford 'vacations'.

Good for you and your wife. New Orleans will be there a good long while probably but not so much the opportunity to buy that coin. My parents bought coins like that too.

Old 02-18-2015, 05:15 PM

8,775 posts, read 11,867,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by masmartbottom View Post
I'm almost 31 and never traveled out of the US and it bothers me on a daily basis, but there's little to nothing I can do about it. I'm trapped in dead end minimum wage job, and I would have to travel alone, which isn't really safe for a woman.
I'm 72 and I've been doing road trips, on my own, since I was 25. I have little desire to go out of country
and it doesn't bother me to think I may never get to even if I want to.

I won't comment on the "dead end minimum wage job" but will say that traveling alone is as safe as you make it. You have to always be aware and use good common sense. I love traveling by myself, at my own pace, seeing/doing what I want and not worrying about anyone else's likes/dislikes. Eat when I want, stop when I want, etc.. It's great and I enjoy it. Oh, and always be sure to get the car checked out and okay'd before a long trip. It's always worked for me.

Old 02-18-2015, 05:34 PM

5,103 posts, read 8,566,046 times
I'm female and in my mid-50s. If there is somewhere that I really, really want to go, I look at ways to make it as safe as possible and go.

For example, several years ago, I wanted to go see a friend in MN, but I had never been there. I checked around and found people I knew between there and my home, let a friend know I was going, plus did a few "check -ins" by phone with friends while I was on the road - no problems!

I also don't drive late at night or use rest areas - I go to restaurants.

I don't have a ton of money, either, but I love going on day trips and try to work in as many as I can when the weather is decent.

Europe? Globe trotting? Not really for me. But I love packing a lunch, my camera, and just heading out.

Works for me. And I'll do that as long as I can.

Old 02-18-2015, 09:00 PM

23,130 posts, read 28,869,286 times
I had a great inner voice that propelled me to see so much of the world in my younger years, and now I look back upon it as all but a dream, and any future foreign travel, at least, as a nightmare! At 64, now, I look back and don't how I did it, those long cross-ocean trips. I even marvel at how I withstood long car trips in the U.S.!

Today, all of it behind me, I even get impatient on a 45 minute flight to L.A., wishing the plane could go faster!

Now, if they ever find a way of transporting people 10,000 miles in 2 hours, I might be game for that! One big regret I didn't make it to Israel. But, too late now, I wouldn't have the patience/stamina for a 13-14 hour flight over there! I might be dead on arrival!

Old 02-18-2015, 11:22 PM

2,429 posts, read 4,005,862 times
I've been to Israel...GO...you'll fall in love!

Old 02-19-2015, 03:13 AM

14,229 posts, read 29,948,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
I got the travel bug out of me all throughout my working years.

I couldn't fathom doing today some of the things I did in my 20's, 30's, 40's on vacation trips.
All day hike in NM mountains ? On the go from sunup to sundown doing touristy things in cities ?

My advice to anyone not retired yet is to do that traveling and exploring during your working years.
I loved work travel! It was like vacation even if I worked 12 hours a day. No one to take care of and I had maid service and someone would bring me food. Loved it!

Old 02-19-2015, 03:14 AM

14,229 posts, read 29,948,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LivingDeadGirl View Post
Absolutely REGRET not traveling enough. I discovered horse treks much too late in life. And although I traveled a lot, charged up my credit cards to do so when I was young with no regrets, I wish I had traveled even more. Now I have tons of money to travel but cannot do difficult horse treks due to spinal surgery. The last thing I want is to go on grey-haired tours and cruises. How depressing. I say travel as much as you can, however you can borrowing what ever money you can, while you are young, vigorous, adventurous and not afraid of anything.
I rode a horse across Mexico and it was a blast!

Old 02-20-2015, 07:33 AM

2,289 posts, read 5,759,974 times
I traveled for work also, use to fly over 100k miles per year...and, for the most part, I loved it!

This year I am doing a driving trip, taking my two Shih Tzu's with me, will be gone a month or so, probably end up logging 4k, or more...depending on my mood! Driving doesn't bother me, I just put the peddle to the metal...and, off I go!

Old 02-20-2015, 10:25 AM

11,181 posts, read 10,488,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
I got the travel bug out of me all throughout my working years.

I couldn't fathom doing today some of the things I did in my 20's, 30's, 40's on vacation trips.
All day hike in NM mountains ? On the go from sunup to sundown doing touristy things in cities ?

My advice to anyone not retired yet is to do that traveling and exploring during your working years.
DH & I are in our 60s, we enjoy visiting NM and hiking the mountains there (Ghost Ranch is a favorite place). Climbing uphill, we often have to move to the side of the trail so folks who look to be in their 70s can pass us by.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement