Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2015, 04:18 AM

2,697 posts, read 3,325,589 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by don1945 View Post
As I've mentioned on a couple of other threads on this subject, I have retired twice, once for a year and a half and then for 3 years. Both times I have gone back to work......started out as part time now full time again.

The primary reason was that being retired didn't work for me. I could only play with my toys so much and I found myself getting out of bed at 11 am, goofing off for a while, then napping on the couch, curled up with a cat or two. One day ran into the next, and I was losing my social skills and my physical and mental health were suffering due to lack of exercise and interfacing with other people.

Now, life has purpose again and I am expected to be somewhere 5 days a week. The extra money ain't all bad either ! I will probably work until I am not physically able to do it any more, and I hope that doesn't happen for a lot more years.

Don
I could see myself in the same position....can't imagine waking in the morning, and wondering "What am I gonna do today"....need to feel productive and have some interaction. I did hold a P/T job for 6 years (along with my F/T job).....worked for a rental car agency cleaning cars and picking up customers.....if I'm still capable of safely driving, that's what I'll shoot for to keep busy when the time comes. I'm a full believer in the saying " A body in motion, stays in motion"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2015, 05:52 AM

7,485 posts, read 10,439,765 times
I'm 67, retired at 65 from owning a trucking firm. I immediately had both knees replaced, 8 weeks apart. This was due to the heavy work I'd been doing, not due to "old age". I don't regret that surgery,as now I live pain-free, and have no other problems; I take no meds. For those who complain of arthritic fingers and white beards, I can show you youngsters of 10 and 20 who live with far worse, so quitcher complainin'.

I have a friend who, healthy on his 65th birthday, celebrated Medicare by visiting not one, but three (!!!) doctors, and came home with a large bag of presriptions. A year later, he was but a shadow of his former self - old and feeble. People: think twice before taking just anything they prescribe for you!

I believe that the mind controls the body in many more ways than is commonly thought. The minute you begin to feel "old" in your mind, your body will respond in kind. Do what I do - keep living your life as if you weren't your age. After all, it's only a number!

Old 02-17-2015, 06:17 AM

3,573 posts, read 4,488,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZDesertBrat View Post
I have to admit, that is my biggest worry. I have been so healthy all my life it's almost scary. I've never had a surgery and even still have my tonsils. I have rarely ever had to take any kind of meds and don't now. It amazes me how I could reach 72 and still be entirely 'intact' and healthy as I am. And then I think that, yes, I've been really really lucky but the possibility of something "BIG" hitting me is always there and in the back of my mind.

I do take care of myself and my doctor once commented that he had never seen me come in sick. I never have. I rarely ever GET sick and just stay home till it's done. Even working with the public I've always managed to avoid catching anything.

There have been times when I thought the person who came up with that Golden Years thing ought to be drawn and quartered, hung and burned at the stake! More like Pewter sometimes!
I've been rarely sick, too even when BH is extremely sick with a contagious illness.

I think tin.

Old 02-17-2015, 06:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southern man View Post
I hate to tell you this, but it don't get better with age and I am a lot older than you. The best is behind you.
Thanks, I think.

Old 02-17-2015, 06:20 AM

2,289 posts, read 5,756,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nor'Eastah View Post
I'm 67, retired at 65 from owning a trucking firm. I immediately had both knees replaced, 8 weeks apart. This was due to the heavy work I'd been doing, not due to "old age". I don't regret that surgery,as now I live pain-free, and have no other problems; I take no meds. For those who complain of arthritic fingers and white beards, I can show you youngsters of 10 and 20 who live with far worse, so quitcher complainin'.

I have a friend who, healthy on his 65th birthday, celebrated Medicare by visiting not one, but three (!!!) doctors, and came home with a large bag of presriptions. A year later, he was but a shadow of his former self - old and feeble. People: think twice before taking just anything they prescribe for you!

I believe that the mind controls the body in many more ways than is commonly thought. The minute you begin to feel "old" in your mind, your body will respond in kind. Do what I do - keep living your life as if you weren't your age. After all, it's only a number!

We are indeed an overmedicated society. I have several friends that take more than 10 pills a day, and they never question their doctor as to why they need all of them. My mother is 90, she takes a low dose blood pressure medication, I am 68 I take one Nexium a day, that is it.

I have a positive attitude,and stay away from negative people, so far, so good, it is working!

Old 02-17-2015, 06:22 AM

16,128 posts, read 10,269,045 times
Wow this is depressing.

Old 02-17-2015, 06:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NanJ View Post
Many years ago my Mom said "Whoever called these the Golden Years needs to be shot". I didn't understand it then but I sure do now!
I've followed all the 'rules'. Eating right exercising. Keeping busy, socializing. Who knew!

I was the one who would live forever.

Old 02-17-2015, 06:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dollydo View Post
We are indeed an overmedicated society. I have several friends that take more than 10 pills a day, and they never question their doctor as to why they need all of them. My mother is 90, she takes a low dose blood pressure medication, I am 68 I take one Nexium a day, that is it.

I have a positive attitude,and stay away from negative people, so far, so good, it is working!
Very hard to find positive people.

Old 02-17-2015, 06:37 AM

8,775 posts, read 11,858,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luvmyhoss View Post
I've been rarely sick, too even when BH is extremely sick with a contagious illness.

I think tin.
Same here. Even when I was married I rarely ever caught a cold or anything from my ex. My doc says I have an excellent immune system, for which I am very grateful. At work, when I see a customer come to my register sniffling and carrying an armload of OTC stuff I just step back! lol

Aluminum...

Old 02-17-2015, 06:40 AM

8,775 posts, read 11,858,380 times
[quote=Dollydo;38475492]We are indeed an overmedicated society. I have several friends that take more than 10 pills a day, and they never question their doctor as to why they need all of them. My mother is 90, she takes a low dose blood pressure medication, I am 68 I take one Nexium a day, that is it.

I have a positive attitude,and stay away from negative people, so far, so good, it is working![/quote]

And THAT is a big plus! I work to keep drama and stress out of my life. I don't deal with negative people very well and drive my friends crazy sometimes because for most negatives they can come up with I can find a positive. I've always been that way and will continue to be.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement