Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2015, 01:06 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,141,672 times

Advertisements

I never thought the term "Golden Years" meant that these were the "best years."

I always thought it meant that these were the most precious years, because they are the last years of our lives, they are fleeting and we don't know how many we will even have.

I always found it curious, even as a child, when I heard someone talking excitedly about their upcoming retirement as if that were the best thing to ever happen to them. How could it be??? Our most beautiful years are behind us. Our bodies are going downhill annually and for some, monthly. Many of us will have impaired sight or hearing. Everyone will have some degree of arthritis or other malady that comes along with aging.

So I always wondered . . . why would anyone think "oh yes! Retirement! The best years ahead!"

Not hardly.

My best years were when I was beautiful and sexy and feeling good . . . when I was a young momma teaching my son about the world . . . when I was working my way up the corporate ladder . . . when I could visit the most stunning beaches in the world wearing that bikini instead of a caftan, lololol.

Golden Years? Mine were in my 30s and 40s.

These last years of my life are precious, indeed, but they are certainly nowhere near "the best of my life."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2015, 01:27 PM

8,612 posts, read 10,705,018 times
Sky, I am sorry to hear that. I guess it depends if you're a glass half empty or full type person.

Early on in our courtship my Dh once said to me 'You'd better learn to laugh and enjoy life now and every day because you don't want regret to be your companion later in life.' He'll never know how true those words were.

About a week before my dear stepdad went in for the surgery that later killed him, he looked up at my mom and said, 'Well, at least we had a good time.' Now when I call her she says, I'm having a good time, that's all that really matters.

Today is all you have, so make the most. No regrets.

OK this cheerleader will go back to the bench now......

Quote:
Originally Posted by beer belly View Post
I know as I age, my body is going to have some issues, and I'm accepting that fact, but I'm not gonna let it get me down and just keep chuggin' along. I've had my share of surgeries (Meniscus in both Knees....both Elbows) but it's not stopping me from living. I've got a couple sayings I believe in.....one already mentioned..."A body in motion, stays in motion".....and my favorite, and something to live by...."*Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming - "WOW, What a ride!"
bb, you are quoting the lovely Maxine. And she is right. My stepdad did all things right to arrive old and well preserved, but it was not meant to be, he checked out at 75. My real dad was a partyer who still does and somewhat of a risk taker (motorcycle, travels a lot) and at 74 will prob go to 90 even with sleep disorder, IBD probs, etc.

Old 02-17-2015, 01:44 PM

1,302 posts, read 1,572,005 times
Half empty/half full??? We're way pass the half-way mark, more like the last 9or better if we're lucky.

The Golden years have different meanings to different people. Most think of it like the Gold at the end of a rainbow.The best years are the years to each individual that seemed to be the best for them...

Old 02-17-2015, 01:48 PM

4,522 posts, read 3,719,020 times
I've always thought of the golden years as going into the sunset; lovely sky, going from turquoise blue to golden to fiery pink, orange and purple and then it's gone.

Old 02-17-2015, 02:01 PM

48,505 posts, read 96,546,470 times
Like anything else at any age what happens varies.

Old 02-17-2015, 02:28 PM

2,055 posts, read 2,553,891 times
You know, I thank all of you folks for replying to this thread. I'm 39, and I watch as my momma continues to age. She just turned 60, but is still in relatively good health. my father, her first husband, died at 53, about 11 years ago. I watch myself and pay attention to my own health, as I think he generally worked himself to death. But he was still vibrant and full of energy when he checked out.

Makes me sad when I read you folks say that your mind and spirit says "go!" but the body just won't comply.

I want the rest of the time I'm granted to spent being present. For my kids, for my wife, for my mom, for friends. Yeah, we gotta work to pay bills, but maybe have a few less of them, and a little more time to just be "there". Life isn't the newest and coolest, but rather, the experiences.

Old 02-17-2015, 02:49 PM

5,097 posts, read 6,322,929 times
Is it really about retiring or just aging? Some seem to equate one with the other. You can start to age a lot earlier than retirement age or those "golden years". Always thought that term was ridiculous.

Old 02-17-2015, 02:56 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,141,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCc girl View Post
Sky, I am sorry to hear that. I guess it depends if you're a glass half empty or full type person.

Early on in our courtship my Dh once said to me 'You'd better learn to laugh and enjoy life now and every day because you don't want regret to be your companion later in life.' He'll never know how true those words were.

About a week before my dear stepdad went in for the surgery that later killed him, he looked up at my mom and said, 'Well, at least we had a good time.' Now when I call her she says, I'm having a good time, that's all that really matters.

Today is all you have, so make the most. No regrets.

OK this cheerleader will go back to the bench now......
Ohhhh - I didn't mean to sound like I regret anything or am upset about it or that life isn't good, lol.

So if that is how it came off, then I didn't convey my message very well!

I treasure the years I will have left on this planet.

But there is no way anyone can tell me these will be my "best" years, lol.

My "best" years were well spent doing exactly what I wanted to do, exactly how I wanted to live, and feeling quite satisfied about my life, my accomplishments -- and doing so with much joy, passion and a sense of adventure.

I am looking at these last decades (and I do hope I have several decades left) as the time to finish up things and enjoy time with family and friends. I may not finish some of the things I had thought "I will do later" -- but as a dear friend from childhood reminded me recently - "We don't have anything to prove." And that is so true. I gave it my all in years past; was very fortunate to have found my soul mate, had a meaningful career, travel extensively, raise my family, and find wonderful friends along that journey.

I was simply saying . . . the term "Golden Years" doesn't mean the same thing to me as I think it means to many others. My "Golden Years" have past. These years ahead are the Sunset Years.

Old 02-17-2015, 04:35 PM

34,848 posts, read 30,936,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brava4 View Post
Is it really about retiring or just aging? Some seem to equate one with the other. You can start to age a lot earlier than retirement age or those "golden years". Always thought that term was ridiculous.
I've always related it more to aging itself. Once someone gets to, say, 60+, most people will consider them in their golden years.

Old 02-17-2015, 06:17 PM

25,597 posts, read 56,282,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Southern man View Post
I hate to tell you this, but it don't get better with age and I am a lot older than you. The best is behind you.
I remember my 60-y/o uncle telling me 43 years ago, "you've got a lot to look forward to, DeDe, all of it bad." He lived to be 91 in very good health until the end, but did deal with a far less healthy spouse, which is what put him in the ground - all the stress. His wife, my aunt, lived another two years after his death.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nor'Eastah View Post
I have a friend who, healthy on his 65th birthday, celebrated Medicare by visiting not one, but three (!!!) doctors, and came home with a large bag of presriptions. A year later, he was but a shadow of his former self - old and feeble. People: think twice before taking just anything they prescribe for you!
Indeed. Fortunately, I learned in my late 30's to avoid medication like the plague. Doing just fine at 73. Nary a pill.

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvmyhoss View Post
I've followed all the 'rules'. Eating right exercising. Keeping busy, socializing. Who knew!

I was the one who would live forever.
What, exactly, is the health issue??

Quote:
Originally Posted by brokensky View Post
I was simply saying . . . the term "Golden Years" doesn't mean the same thing to me as I think it means to many others. My "Golden Years" have past. These years ahead are the Sunset Years.
This is exactly right. I, too, had my best years in my 30's, 40's, 50's - traveled a lot. Can't say I have a lot of 'must do's' on the bucket list at this point.

That said, I do agree with many upthread, continuing to work at least part-time, is a good thing for many.

And, for those young 'uns at age 60 talking about their energy - I was a whole different physical being at 60 than I am now at age 73. No health issues even today, but the energy/stamina/drive has diminished considerably. Not working probably a big contributor, however.

MadMan got it right. He retired in his mid-50's to travel - 'while he still could.'
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement