Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2015, 04:06 AM

1,166 posts, read 1,625,065 times

Advertisements

They're called the Metal Years. Silver in your hair, gold in your teeth, and lead in your...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2015, 04:40 AM

7,629 posts, read 16,391,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Above Average Bear View Post
My mom drove without a license and minimal insurance. She had an accident and it cost her 100K.
Anyone that drives without a license is UNINSURED because you have to be a licensed driver to be insured. Having said that, it appears your mom made bad choices that created her financially issues of owing 100K in bills because of it.

Old 02-18-2015, 07:22 AM

6,369 posts, read 6,382,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by simbared View Post
They're called the Metal Years. Silver in your hair, gold in your teeth, and lead in your...
.....pencil.

Old 02-18-2015, 08:12 AM

13,721 posts, read 19,145,394 times
This is exactly why I think it's best to retire as soon as you can. I am 57 and wish I could go ahead and retire because I want to do it while I can still enjoy it. My job is sedentary and I am sitting 8, 10, 12 hours a day and I know that is only going to hasten my decline if I don't do something about it. In fact, I am actively looking to cut back to working part time or PRN and doing that for 5 years or maybe 10 if I can and delay taking Social Security. But I know being active is the key to remaining physically able to do things.

My husband has a job that keeps him physically active, but I also worry about what will happen to him when he suddenly isn't as active anymore. He starts feeling achy after a three day weekend when he's not moving around as much. I know he could exercise, but he's not much for exercising just to be exercising. Work yes and yard work yes, but not just for the sake of exercise.

Old 02-18-2015, 10:13 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,610 posts, read 57,588,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luzianne View Post
This is exactly why I think it's best to retire as soon as you can. ...
Yes!
Retire early, retire often!

mine:
age 15, age 35, age 49; age 59 ... TBD for future retirements

Each 'retirement' brought 'golden years', challenges, a change in 'the routine', and new horizons to discover. They were all very special and highly desired at the time / optional choices.

Retirement is WAY too much fun to only do once / lifetime.

Old 02-18-2015, 11:08 AM

14,229 posts, read 29,926,983 times
Life and the economy sort of retired me at 53. Since then I have still kept very busy. I have been trying to remodel a house without enough money to hire anyone to help. Overall I am glad I have had these healthy years to enjoy. I have had some part time throw away jobs too but nothing taxing. I don't have money to travel but H and I made a very conscious decision to see the world while we were young...and we did. We watched our elders retire and for various reasons never take those trips they had promised themselves. No regrets on that front but if I had money I would still like to travel!

7+ years into retirement, my health is still good and all I can do is be grateful. So far they have been 'Golden Years' for me. I still marvel at the idea I can get up in the morning and decide to do nothing or everything. My choice. I know things will change down the road but I hope I still have a lot of good times left to enjoy.

I am also one of those positive attitude people. I do the best I can and try to have some fun along the way!

Old 02-18-2015, 11:20 AM

8,775 posts, read 11,858,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowsnow View Post
Life and the economy sort of retired me at 53. Since then I have still kept very busy. I have been trying to remodel a house without enough money to hire anyone to help. Overall I am glad I have had these healthy years to enjoy. I have had some part time throw away jobs too but nothing taxing. I don't have money to travel but H and I made a very conscious decision to see the world while we were young...and we did. We watched our elders retire and for various reasons never take those trips they had promised themselves. No regrets on that front but if I had money I would still like to travel!

7+ years into retirement, my health is still good and all I can do is be grateful. So far they have been 'Golden Years' for me. I still marvel at the idea I can get up in the morning and decide to do nothing or everything. My choice. I know things will change down the road but I hope I still have a lot of good times left to enjoy.

I am also one of those positive attitude people. I do the best I can and try to have some fun along the way!
You know, as much as I sometimes 'grouse' about that Golden Years thing, I have to say that things could be so much worse for me. Life has actually been pretty good for me the last ten years since I moved back to my hometown. I only regret not getting the job I have now back then! I bounced around between restaurants, in home health care and hotel front desk for five years. Wasted time.

If I had the money, and the time, I'd travel too. Don't care so much about international travel, although I would like to go to Australia, England, Ireland and Scotland. Family history stuff, ya know? However, I probably never will but I do love my road trips right here in the good ol' USA. Friends and family scattered all over!

I still have a job to go to but I like my job so it's okay. I only work part time because that's all I want and it leaves me plenty of time to do things I want to do. Count me in as one of those "positive people". Always have been and, hopefully, always will be.

Old 02-18-2015, 11:50 AM

3,573 posts, read 4,488,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by simbared View Post
You gave me a chuckle.

Old 02-18-2015, 12:38 PM

8,733 posts, read 15,887,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
Yes!
Retire early, retire often!

mine:
age 15, age 35, age 49; age 59 ... TBD for future retirements

Each 'retirement' brought 'golden years', challenges, a change in 'the routine', and new horizons to discover. They were all very special and highly desired at the time / optional choices.

Retirement is WAY too much fun to only do once / lifetime.
Me too ! I call these points in our lives a timeline. Starting over after a divorce were the biggies. Three times and I learned somthing every time !

Old 02-18-2015, 12:45 PM

8,733 posts, read 15,887,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZDesertBrat View Post
You know, as much as I sometimes 'grouse' about that Golden Years thing, I have to say that things could be so much worse for me. Life has actually been pretty good for me the last ten years since I moved back to my hometown. I only regret not getting the job I have now back then! I bounced around between restaurants, in home health care and hotel front desk for five years. Wasted time.

If I had the money, and the time, I'd travel too. Don't care so much about international travel, although I would like to go to Australia, England, Ireland and Scotland. Family history stuff, ya know? However, I probably never will but I do love my road trips right here in the good ol' USA. Friends and family scattered all over!

I still have a job to go to but I like my job so it's okay. I only work part time because that's all I want and it leaves me plenty of time to do things I want to do. Count me in as one of those "positive people". Always have been and, hopefully, always will be.
Yes, the open road is calling, happens to me a lot...........see North America first! It's a big place, I have see it all, now I am on my second round just incase I missed something.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement