Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2015, 01:31 PM

9,346 posts, read 13,951,425 times

Advertisements

I think the term "golden years" was just a new-at-the-time way to say "olden years".

Assuming that gold refers to something precious, I guess those years are precious if we are still around to be living them. But life is constantly changing and it doesn't make sense to compare the present to the past. When we were younger, we had problems. As we get older we just have different problems. Carpe diem.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2015, 02:19 PM

12,823 posts, read 24,302,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luv4horses View Post
I think the term "golden years" was just a new-at-the-time way to say "olden years".

Assuming that gold refers to something precious, I guess those years are precious if we are still around to be living them. But life is constantly changing and it doesn't make sense to compare the present to the past. When we were younger, we had problems. As we get older we just have different problems. Carpe diem.
To be fair, for people who were in the prime of their careers during the 25 years following the end of WW2, retirement generally was The Golden Years. That is when the whole stereotype of the person who moved to a retirement friendly area and played a lot of golf got started. Now I realize not everyone accomplished this back then, but it was far more prevalent. People who retired during the 1970s had it made in the shade, other then the annoying inflation challenges - but there are ways to hedge that. People who retired during the 80s and even a bit into the 90s also had it pretty good, IMHO. People used to retire at a reasonable age and have a few good years left, with decent finances to cover them.

Old 02-18-2015, 02:43 PM

11,154 posts, read 15,927,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dollydo View Post
I have a positive attitude,and stay away from negative people, so far, so good, it is working!
Quote:
Originally Posted by luvmyhoss View Post
Very hard to find positive people.
Maybe they're staying away from you because they want to be around positive people. I know I make it a point to stay away from people who complain about their health, their spouse, etc.

Old 02-18-2015, 03:04 PM

7,984 posts, read 5,340,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by don1945 View Post
As I've mentioned on a couple of other threads on this subject, I have retired twice, once for a year and a half and then for 3 years. Both times I have gone back to work......started out as part time now full time again.

The primary reason was that being retired didn't work for me. I could only play with my toys so much and I found myself getting out of bed at 11 am, goofing off for a while, then napping on the couch, curled up with a cat or two. One day ran into the next, and I was losing my social skills and my physical and mental health were suffering due to lack of exercise and interfacing with other people.

Now, life has purpose again and I am expected to be somewhere 5 days a week. The extra money ain't all bad either ! I will probably work until I am not physically able to do it any more, and I hope that doesn't happen for a lot more years.

Don
I see my future like yours. I like to work, I like to get up in the morning and have something to do. Oh yes, I can certainly enjoy things that are not work. But for me, it can't be all play. I would find myself as you did: sleeping late, goofing off, etc.

I believe in the old "work hard, play hard". I enjoy my play much better that way.

Old 02-18-2015, 03:20 PM

16,042 posts, read 21,912,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GiGi603 View Post
I see my future like yours. I like to work, I like to get up in the morning and have something to do. Oh yes, I can certainly enjoy things that are not work. But for me, it can't be all play. I would find myself as you did: sleeping late, goofing off, etc.

I believe in the old "work hard, play hard". I enjoy my play much better that way.
When we finish this house, by next spring, and decide what we're doing, I'm thinking of getting a PT job out of the house (I freelance now and it's quite solitary). I don't have traditional office skills so I don't know what the job would be (at my age), but I'm going to concentrate on that next year. Retirement (or semi) really doesn't work for me, I waste far too much time and am frequently bored.

Old 02-18-2015, 03:24 PM

11,154 posts, read 15,927,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GiGi603 View Post

Who says it has to be all play? When we're not traveling, my wife gets up early a couple of times a week to volunteer at an animal shelter. She also is a volunteer with a set shift at our local hospital. I think that is being pretty productive. I fail to understand the rationale of people who think that if they retire from paid employment they will be relegated to a worthless life of boredom, sleeping late, and having nothing valuable to contribute to society.

Nonsense.

Old 02-18-2015, 04:43 PM

8,733 posts, read 15,887,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadManofBethesda View Post
Who says it has to be all play? When we're not traveling, my wife gets up early a couple of times a week to volunteer at an animal shelter. She also is a volunteer with a set shift at our local hospital. I think that is being pretty productive. I fail to understand the rationale of people who think that if they retire from paid employment they will be relegated to a worthless life of boredom, sleeping late, and having nothing valuable to contribute to society.

Nonsense.
I know plenty of people who since they retired , have become very ineffective getting things done. On the other hand I had ( just died) close friend who was driven almost beyond control. He took an early retirement from the auto mfg industry. Always on the go, solving problems was what he did while being a plant Manager. He loved his retirement, gave him more time to restore, buy , sell , and actually tour in these very expensive 90 year old cars, he loved it, It was like before he died the goal was to have owned all the old car makes and at 75 he almost completed the goal he set for himself , but cancer surgery killed him over night.

Old 02-18-2015, 04:50 PM

8,775 posts, read 11,858,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by darstar View Post
Yes, the open road is calling, happens to me a lot...........see North America first! It's a big place, I have see it all, now I am on my second round just incase I missed something.
I haven't "seen it all" by any means but a good share of it. Some places I just want to revisit over and over. We will always "miss something" so have to keep going back to see/do it. I am looking forward to vacation this year. Just have to decide where to go!

Old 02-18-2015, 06:51 PM

8,082 posts, read 6,692,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wit-nit View Post
How ccould she legally get auto insurance without a valid driver's license??
I asked myself the same question. She was driving in Florida for at least a year when it happened.

Old 02-18-2015, 07:17 PM

2,429 posts, read 4,002,271 times
Quote:

Nonsense.
Thank you. Thank you Thank you. People, IMO, are too wrapped up in their darn jobs....like that's the only thing that makes them valuable or the only 'real' way to be actively involved in society. And the guilt some people seem to have about retiring...... one post even asked, "is it OK to not feel like doing anything for a while." I think it's sad that a person who has worked for 40 years even needs to ask that.

Everyone I know who has retired is plenty busy....with hobbies, volunteering, looking after older relatives, classes, travel, etc. Think outside the box, people! I just feel bad that people seem to equate WORKING...with LIVING...and their own personal value. Sad.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement