Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-18-2015, 07:35 PM

44,555 posts, read 61,283,437 times

Advertisements

Our insurance company requires a drivers license. Your vehicle may have insurance but only licensed drivers are covered. Unlicensed drivers are exposed to big problems if any should occur.
In any state when you get stopped the first thing the policeman asks is for your drivers license, registration and insurance. heavy fines for not being insured.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2015, 07:45 PM

48,505 posts, read 96,551,406 times
You can insure a car without a license. Know several who do it and have friend or relative drive.

Old 02-18-2015, 07:53 PM

8,082 posts, read 6,692,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wit-nit View Post
Our insurance company requires a drivers license. Your vehicle may have insurance but only licensed drivers are covered. Unlicensed drivers are exposed to big problems if any should occur.
In any state when you get stopped the first thing the policeman asks is for your drivers license, registration and insurance. heavy fines for not being insured.
I kept trying to scare her by telling her that she would get locked up for driving without a license. Too bad it didn't work she is 93 and since I am 1 of 3 children that 100 K cost me 33K

Old 02-18-2015, 09:06 PM

11,154 posts, read 15,927,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
You can insure a car without a license. Know several who do it and have friend or relative drive.
Yes, but the point everyone is making is that the insurance policy is invalid if the car is driven by an unlicensed driver, and that is the situation being discussed.

Old 02-18-2015, 09:58 PM

48,505 posts, read 96,551,406 times
But the question was asked and I just replied.

Old 02-18-2015, 10:45 PM

701 posts, read 1,684,499 times
My mother retired, against the suggestion of my father and me, this past June at the very young age of 58. Since June she has fallen and broken her elbow, gotten the flu, pulled a groin muscle, and now apparently has some kind of weird back spasm thing going on. She was perfectly fine before she retired, very slightly overweight but nothing near enough to hobble her. She's also rather introverted, and frankly, lazy. She sits in a chair most of the day and reads. She might go have lunch with her sister, or travel to see my sister and her grandkids every once in a while.

She "gardens." That is, she lets someone else come over and till the yard and plant the seeds. The only thing she does is pick the veggies when they're ripe and weed a bit. It's infuriating to see my middle-aged mother falling apart in front of me. My dad and I keep asking her what she's planning on doing for the next 30 or so years.

I'm very introverted. I don't plan on retiring until I absolutely have to because I need that forced social activity to prevent myself from being a shut-in.

Old 02-18-2015, 11:02 PM

147 posts, read 229,165 times
We are currently living in a huge retirement community. The drs are making a killing on all the pills and diagnostic testing they prescribe, taking a bunch of pills is not good for people.
I have overheard numerous people around here (there seem to be a lot of 90+ yr olds here) that say they take no pills, don't go to drs and they walk daily which I think seems to help them and many of them do volunteer work.
You would be surprised how much there is to do every single day when you are retired there is always something to do. I have enough time to enjoy planning and cooking nice, healthier home cooked scratch meals for my husband.
Gardening, hobbies, ceramics, the gym all these things require a lot of time.
When I worked, I used to hear people say a lot of people that had retired from there had died within the first year, but I think if you keep busy it really helps, and staying out of the drs office.
And yes, this dr we had here was always trying to promote taking all those stomach pills. Eating right and laying off the salt takes your blood pressure down.
We have a lot of plans for the future, we are moving away from the retirement area because it is too depressing, the ambulances practically crash into the fire trucks going to all the heart attacks.
And I overheard a lady the other day (at the pizza parlor, eating a piece of pizza) say that she just got out of the hospital, she had to go by ambulance with a heart attack, it took 3 hrs to get to the ER because it took the ambulance so long to get out there to the retirement community (way out in the country) and then stabilize her and get back to the city hospital that she is lucky to be alive, they did some stents and now there she is, at the pizza parlor....some people never listen to their wakeup calls.
fyi, in case you didn't know, we found out the hard way, medicare does not pay for "rountine physicals", even with great supplemental insurance, the so called "routine office visit" set us back $350, when we asked the dr office to re-submit it, they did, they raised their fee and re-submitted it, it was once again refused and then they added it on top of the original charges and a 5 min office visit cost us up over $700, we are disputing it though.
I think the big city, keep busy, keep walking, get a purpose in life, retire early, enjoy life. There is no need to work until such time as you aquire a large fortune and then buy an expensive "retirement home" in a place like del webbb, you can be just as happy in a small ranch style home in an urban area with public transportation.
Yes, indeed, there are many "unfinished" retirement properties. It doesn't need to be that way. Some of my 90 yr old neighbors are here sitting pretty in their small townhomes, many of their friends and siblings come to visit for the winter months and rent nearby townhomes and they all party like it's 1999, the Walgreens in this town sell more alcohol than most others in America according to rumor around here. There is an awesome recreation department with 12 centers that feature gyms, pools, sauna, camera, art, pottery, ceramics and a lot of other hobby clubs, they feature concerts, lectures. The whole town is one big yard sale, it's a very common activity around here, yard saling for half the week it seems, moving the knick knacks from house to house. Canasta, bridge, all sorts of card clubs. Enjoying the life they are and most of them are happy, we really don't see many oxygen tanks or wheelchairs or canes here I think because they hike and bike and golf like mad.

Old 02-18-2015, 11:07 PM

147 posts, read 229,165 times
PS We are moving because its so far from town and it's in the desert and we find that is depressing, the air is too dry and our allergies are kicking up, but these other people, many of them are old enough to be our parents and almost our grandparents, they have been here for over 30 years now after their retirements in the "cold states".
When we get to where we are going, I plan on going back to work.
I have been reading about the new type of baby boomer retirement, retire, work, retire, work, travel, work, retire, travel, work...etc.
I think that will work for me, I don't get enough exercise because of the dry dusty air outside.

Old 02-18-2015, 11:44 PM

16,368 posts, read 30,094,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadManofBethesda View Post
Maybe they're staying away from you because they want to be around positive people. I know I make it a point to stay away from people who complain about their health, their spouse, etc.

As several of the 85+ year old volunteers remind me, no one really wants to listen to you complaints. We stay away from the Wendy Whiners.

I cannot think of too many people who I know who are NOT positive.

Old 02-19-2015, 06:50 AM

10,599 posts, read 17,809,411 times
Of course there are "Golden Years". Like never before.

It's only RECENTLY that people are chomping at the bit to "retire". Humans have always worked. Thanks to the government PAYING THEM other people's money to STOP working.

Cavemen died young of unnatural causes around age 20 and never stopped hunting/gathering.

In biblical times you still kept going. No Airstream trailer or Florida migration.

In the 1800s Bismarck invented retirement to prevent Marxists from taking control of Europe. Any nonworking German got a check after age 65. Of course nobody would live that long since they didn't even have penicillin yet.

Then in the 1930s, some guy in CA wanted to pay a full salary to make people retire at 60. HORRIFIED, FDR offered Social Security to get them to at least pay into a fund.

Throughout the 50s Americans still didn't want to retire.

But throughout the past century Florida became possible and golf courses tripled during the 1920's! "Retirement Communities" abound.

The OP took international "trips of a lifetime" after retirement years ago. They posted 15 days ago they are "healthy as a hoss".

Those of us who don't think EVERY DAY after today is a "Golden Year" are delusional.

We didn't KNOW older people face challenges?

I don't understand what the problem is, other than reality.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement