Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-14-2015, 12:00 PM

15,972 posts, read 7,036,148 times

Advertisements

Have you found Meetups enjoyable? Made friends through it? What kinds of groups do you belong to? Are you disappointed with them? Did not work for you? Why?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2015, 12:12 PM

106,695 posts, read 108,880,922 times
we need a city data meet up group . i bet it would be like that scene in the star wars bar , ha ha ha ha

Last edited by mathjak107; 03-14-2015 at 12:34 PM..

Old 03-14-2015, 12:32 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,458,443 times
I joined the Senior Center in my town because I had just moved there and didn't know anyone. I met some nice people but the downside is that there aren't very many activities offered I like.

I joined the organization called "Meet Up" that sends alerts of the gatherings of whatever groups you tell them you are interested in. There are groups meeting up for every interest imaginable. I made a separate folder for the notices to land directly in my inbox.They also give you information on how to start your own special interest group if you can't find anything already there that might appeal to you.

It's really a nice thing for people who want to get out and do things and meet others who share the same interests or who want to discover new interests. You go on their website and choose from hundreds of groups and they send emails out as to when the groups are meeting. Some examples of the groups are financial interests, social, outdoors, crafts, travel, parenting, pets, exercise and so on. The list is endless.

So far I haven't chosen my group(s) but once I narrow it down, I will. It's a great idea.

Old 03-14-2015, 12:34 PM

we take advantage of some of the photography meet up groups in our area.

Old 03-14-2015, 01:35 PM

3,577 posts, read 4,511,910 times
Sounds like a good way to
meet people with like interests.

Old 03-14-2015, 01:47 PM

88,588 posts, read 84,838,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minervah View Post
I joined the Senior Center in my town because I had just moved there and didn't know anyone. I met some nice people but the downside is that there aren't very many activities offered I like.

I joined the organization called "Meet Up" that sends alerts of the gatherings of whatever groups you tell them you are interested in. There are groups meeting up for every interest imaginable. I made a separate folder for the notices to land directly in my inbox.They also give you information on how to start your own special interest group if you can't find anything already there that might appeal to you.

It's really a nice thing for people who want to get out and do things and meet others who share the same interests or who want to discover new interests. You go on their website and choose from hundreds of groups and they send emails out as to when the groups are meeting. Some examples of the groups are financial interests, social, outdoors, crafts, travel, parenting, pets, exercise and so on. The list is endless.

So far I haven't chosen my group(s) but once I narrow it down, I will. It's a great idea.
I joined a local writers' group through Meet up. I am not yet retired, but a few people in my group are. They always wanted to write a book but working life got in the way. Now they have time. One guy gets up every morning and writes from 8 a.m. to noon. His wife is good with that and does her own thing; then they have the rest of the day to do whatever. He's written two novels that are influenced by his time in Vietnam.

Old 03-14-2015, 05:41 PM

we have a senior center that is quite active and offers quite a few programs from hiking and bird watching to zumba, writing, lots of stuff. i enjoy many and volunteer at the center. our library also has active book groups and writing groups. very well attended.
the meetups i belong to are for art, foreign and independent movies, where you meet at the theater and then go out to eat to discuss the film. my ideal meet up but i did only one and enjoyed it. but then dates clashed or i did not care for the movie. i have now gotten into just eat and talk groups :-). but not attended any yet.
i was wondering if people have made friends this way, particularly if you moved after retirement as many seem to do in this forum? that would be one thing that would worry me the most if i moved to a new city, how to meet people and make friends. maybe it is not so important to make friends as long as you enjoy the company for that particular event.

Old 03-14-2015, 09:16 PM

2,630 posts, read 1,456,284 times
Meetups are a great way to socialize and do things of interest with people of different ages. I belong to Meetups based on hiking, cruising (as in cruise travel) and local events (like movies, dinner, NFL football parties, board games and potluck, holiday get togethers) and a third one for area adults over 50.

Old 03-15-2015, 08:20 AM

Meetups are great when one spouse has no interest in doing things the other one does. But do you feel odd going out with a bunch of essentially strangers, not couples, while your spouse stays home?

Old 03-15-2015, 08:22 AM

my wife would never let me do that by myself. i can't go out without adult supervision. she would make me wear a gps tracking unit and a sensor that detects womens perfume and food odors . ha ha ha

i swear i left her in a store one time and walked up the block looking in the other stores.

i ended up in this bakery and got a nice eclair . i take one bite and my cell phone rings. it is marilyn. what are you eating ?? it is like i have a chip in me embedded or something .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement