Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2015, 03:08 PM

10,104 posts, read 19,319,349 times

Advertisements

Invest in a bread machine that can make small loaves
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2015, 04:18 PM

2,429 posts, read 4,002,844 times
Quote:
Where do you shop???? Everything here that you're talking about I see in small sizes every time I go to the store.
That is important. I was in a regular supermarket looking for a SMALL spaghetti sauce. I think there ONE brand that had maybe a 12 oz size? I was shocked at how few choices there were in smaller sizes. About a dozen brands of sauce overall -- yet only one that had a small size.

But singles get short shrift a lot in this society so what else is new. The new, popular single serving items tend to be the 'diet' 100-calorie type.

I hardly EVER, EVER need ANY first aid items, but every TEN YEARS when I do......try finding just one bandaid, or two aspirin or allergy pills, or just 2 tablespoons of cough syrup, or one squeeze of Neosporin. You have to by an entire bottle or tube...when you know you don't need that much.

Old 02-18-2015, 05:56 PM

14,017 posts, read 20,845,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdflk View Post

I hardly EVER, EVER need ANY first aid items, but every TEN YEARS when I do......try finding just one bandaid, or two aspirin or allergy pills, or just 2 tablespoons of cough syrup, or one squeeze of Neosporin. You have to by an entire bottle or tube...when you know you don't need that much.
Hasn't that always been the case? A tube of Neosporin has always been the smallest possible purchase. So we just keep the tube for a number of years in order to be able to use the next little squeeze when needed. Ditto with cough syrup (bottle rather than tube). Ditto with bandaids (box). Over the years we will certainly need bandaids more than once.

Old 02-18-2015, 06:07 PM

15,701 posts, read 16,969,967 times
I would like to share my secret to not getting a cold for years......go out and buy cold remedies so you have them on hand when you get sick.

Guaranteed.......you will not get a cold until they have expired!

Old 02-18-2015, 11:28 PM

10,104 posts, read 19,319,349 times
Quote:
That is important. I was in a regular supermarket looking for a SMALL spaghetti sauce. I think there ONE brand that had maybe a 12 oz size? I was shocked at how few choices there were in smaller sizes. About a dozen brands of sauce overall -- yet only one that had a small size.

But singles get short shrift a lot in this society so what else is new. The new, popular single serving items tend to be the 'diet' 100-calorie type.

Sometimes you an find such sizes in the checkout lane displays.

Old 02-19-2015, 06:54 AM

8,775 posts, read 11,860,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie53;38`500323
I would like to share my secret to not getting a cold for years......go out and buy cold remedies so you have them on hand when you get sick.

Guaranteed.......you will not get a cold until they have expired!
Isn't that the truth?! Was going through the medicine cabinet the other day and on the top shelf were two packs of cold meds...one day and one night time. Each had two out of it and I've had them for over two years! lol They were expired, of course, but I haven't caught a cold yet. Knock on wood!!

Old 02-19-2015, 07:02 AM

17,156 posts, read 12,876,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tia 914 View Post
Now that I'm an empty-nester, shopping has become more difficult. It has more to do with local stores in general than the fact that I'm shopping-for-one. Virtually everything is "supersized."

O.K., it's not "too" much of a problem when I buy fresh meat and immediately separate it into smaller packages, but when it comes to products like bread and cereal I rarely buy them at all anymore. I simply don't have the time to divvy-up huge packages of stuff every time I return from a grocery store.

Has anyone else encountered this- and if so, what's the solution?
The local stores don't stock small or even normal sizes of anything. Heck, they don't even carry one-pound boxes of cat food!
That's not the issue I've encountered. Shopping has changed a lot in my view, but not in that way. The internet has changed absolutely everything, including the shopping experience. Although I really enjoy the way I fact that I have a much greater selection being able to buy things online, there are also some big negatives. One is many of the stores that I shop at have all this merchandise listed for sale, then when I want to look at it/feel it/try it on, it's only available for purchase online.

There are only certain things I want to buy online. I don't want to buy furniture online without seeing it in person. I don't want to take a $1K+ risk and find out after receiving it that I don't like it. And clothing? I don't want to order clothing, receive it to find it doesn't fit or looks hideous, then have to go through the time consuming task of returning it by mail and repeating the process. Another negative is that there are many discounts on items that you can only get if you buy them online. Purchasing the same item at the same store in person costs more money. That's not fair, IMO.

Old 02-19-2015, 07:34 AM

2,382 posts, read 5,376,810 times
Quote:

Dollar store has meds in two packs some times. They sell Neosporin in boxes of little single use doses. I generally have a couple single pack tylenol, a squeeze tube of neosporin and a bandaid or two in the make-up bag in my purse.

I honestly couldn't imagine not having a decently stocked medicine cabinet at home though. I hate going out for anything when Im not feeling well.

Old 02-19-2015, 08:04 AM

8,775 posts, read 11,860,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post
That's not the issue I've encountered. Shopping has changed a lot in my view, but not in that way. The internet has changed absolutely everything, including the shopping experience. Although I really enjoy the way I fact that I have a much greater selection being able to buy things online, there are also some big negatives. One is many of the stores that I shop at have all this merchandise listed for sale, then when I want to look at it/feel it/try it on, it's only available for purchase online.

There are only certain things I want to buy online. I don't want to buy furniture online without seeing it in person. I don't want to take a $1K+ risk and find out after receiving it that I don't like it. And clothing? I don't want to order clothing, receive it to find it doesn't fit or looks hideous, then have to go through the time consuming task of returning it by mail and repeating the process. Another negative is that there are many discounts on items that you can only get if you buy them online. Purchasing the same item at the same store in person costs more money. That's not fair, IMO.
I am not really a "shopper" either online or in the stores. Most of what you've written is how I feel about buying online. I need to see, feel and KNOW what I'm getting. I don't order from catalogs either for the same reason.

Old 02-19-2015, 08:53 AM

12,050 posts, read 10,194,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tia 914 View Post
Now that I'm an empty-nester, shopping has become more difficult. It has more to do with local stores in general than the fact that I'm shopping-for-one. Virtually everything is "supersized."

O.K., it's not "too" much of a problem when I buy fresh meat and immediately separate it into smaller packages, but when it comes to products like bread and cereal I rarely buy them at all anymore. I simply don't have the time to divvy-up huge packages of stuff every time I return from a grocery store.

Has anyone else encountered this- and if so, what's the solution?
The local stores don't stock small or even normal sizes of anything. Heck, they don't even carry one-pound boxes of cat food!
Switch stores? No problem like that here.

I don't like the big packages of meat, so I buy the more expensive organic cuts. Those big packages might go to freezer burn waste anyway.

There are smaller loaves of bread. I usually buy the Mrs. Baird's small loaf. I'll buy two and freeze one. I'm too lazy to split a big loaf up.

You could buy bread from the bakery section. The loaves are smaller.

Cat food - 3lb bags are not that big and easy to store. I buy the 16 or 20 lb bags, so no problem with it going bad.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement