Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2015, 10:33 PM

3,633 posts, read 5,333,050 times

Advertisements

Now that I'm an empty-nester, shopping has become more difficult. It has more to do with local stores in general than the fact that I'm shopping-for-one. Virtually everything is "supersized."

O.K., it's not "too" much of a problem when I buy fresh meat and immediately separate it into smaller packages, but when it comes to products like bread and cereal I rarely buy them at all anymore. I simply don't have the time to divvy-up huge packages of stuff every time I return from a grocery store.

Has anyone else encountered this- and if so, what's the solution?
The local stores don't stock small or even normal sizes of anything. Heck, they don't even carry one-pound boxes of cat food!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2015, 10:51 PM

48,505 posts, read 96,526,809 times
We have no such problem. In fact shopping is easier like everything else. But then we have always sorted into meals portions anyway; just more time to do it. I often wander even dividing the chores like shopping now we managed before retiring.

Old 02-17-2015, 10:52 PM

146 posts, read 161,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tia 914 View Post
Now that I'm an empty-nester, shopping has become more difficult. It has more to do with local stores in general than the fact that I'm shopping-for-one. Virtually everything is "supersized."

O.K., it's not "too" much of a problem when I buy fresh meat and immediately separate it into smaller packages, but when it comes to products like bread and cereal I rarely buy them at all anymore. I simply don't have the time to divvy-up huge packages of stuff every time I return from a grocery store.

The local stores don't stock small or even normal sizes of anything. Heck, they don't even carry one-pound boxes of cat food!
I shop the "bulk" section as much as I can. I am able to take only what I need. I can get cereal, grains, nuts, seasonings--truly a lot of things.

If you shop in a store where there is a working bakery, ask them if they have a "mini-loaf" of bread, or a small round that can be quickly sliced. They often do or will custom bake one for you.

I have resigned myself to setting aside one day every so often ( once a month is enough for me) as my food prep day. I buy my bulk items and then split things up, vacuum seal what I need to in smaller portions and chuck them into the freezer. Seems to work for me.

Old 02-17-2015, 11:01 PM

44,549 posts, read 61,257,045 times
We split and freeze everything that can be done including bread.

Old 02-17-2015, 11:43 PM

11,181 posts, read 10,475,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wit-nit View Post
We split and freeze everything that can be done including bread.
^^^ This. Takes awhile to get the hang of it.

Old 02-18-2015, 12:02 AM

15,701 posts, read 16,962,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tia 914 View Post

I always used to buy the small jars of spaghetti sauce......which disappeared years ago.

The solution? As others have said, I have to spit it up into smaller containers and freeze........but I feel I shouldn't have to.

Old 02-18-2015, 12:10 AM

9,446 posts, read 6,524,144 times
I know what you mean. Dividing meat etc. up into smaller packs is essential, but sometimes means eating the same things more than I'd like.

Old 02-18-2015, 12:12 AM

18,813 posts, read 32,283,365 times
My bread goes immediately into the freezer. I toast before eating.

Do you like tortillas? I eat a lot of tortillas, and they will stay fresh longer than bread. I keep mine in the fridge and just nuke them for 30 seconds, and they're wonderful - especially the corn tortillas.

Cereal should keep a long time just in the box, or you could get some tupperware containers for the cereal.

Even when I buy fresh, I often freeze most everything. Got a big bag of fresh broccoli tops and just put the whole bag in the freezer.

I enjoy canning, so when I make up a big pot of soup, I'll can a bunch up. I make batches of stuff and then eat it for lunch for a week - like a rice cooker full of rice (in my fridge now) and a crock pot full of roast (in my fridge now). There's nobody around to give me a hard time about just putting the pot in the fridge LOL! So, the rice and the roast gets put into a fresh tortilla and thrown into the microwave, and I'll do that for a week. If there's too much to eat in a week, I freeze portions.

Sounds like freezing is the main key here.

Old 02-18-2015, 07:34 AM

9,346 posts, read 13,938,700 times
The big discount stores like Target are interesting. Where do you store 36 rolls of TP?

Old 02-18-2015, 07:53 AM

9,446 posts, read 6,524,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luv4horses View Post
The big discount stores like Target are interesting. Where do you store 36 rolls of TP?
In the trunk of my car!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement