Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-23-2015, 02:35 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,206,481 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by boater1 View Post
As of Nov 2014

Accoding to the CDC, the Shingles vaccine is "approved" for persons over 50, but the only studies that have been done are with persons over 60. The CDC has no recomendation on whether to get the shot or not if you are 50-59.

In people over 60, they found the effictiveness of the vaccine decreases over 5 years, effectiveness after 5 years, after the shot is unknown.

So they are concerned that people who get the shot in their 50's, they get to their 60's, when you are in most danger of Shingles, will have a false sense of security, that they are protected.
The shot is only 50% effective as well in reducing the risk you will get it.

So you are 50% protected for about 5 years.
Just something to keep in mind.
Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2015, 07:12 PM

5,295 posts, read 5,968,850 times
If you are younger than 60, you may want to wait a bit longer. There is an experimental shingles vaccine that may be significantly more effective than the current vaccine.

New GSK shingles vaccine may challenge Merck after strong test data | Reuters

"GSK's vaccine, known as HZ/su, reduced the risk of shingles by 97.2 percent in adults aged 50 years and older compared to placebo in the Phase III clinical trial involving more than 16,000 individuals."

Old 02-24-2015, 10:06 AM

10,191 posts, read 6,249,622 times
Until recently, I never knew anyone who had shingles. Certainly nobody in my own family. My husband's Aunt got it about 20 years ago and my husband about 5 years ago. Stress? His Aunt had just lost her husband of 50 years. My husband had been through 4 surgeries in 5 years when he got it.

What really amazes me is how many YOUNG people in their 30s are getting shingles. My SIL (33) just got it. As soon as I saw it, I knew what it was. Yes, doctor confirmed that. Then my older daughter said that her friend (also early 30s) had gotten shingles too.

Why are all these very young people getting shingles today?

Old 02-24-2015, 10:51 AM

1,818 posts, read 2,677,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo48 View Post
Until recently, I never knew anyone who had shingles. Certainly nobody in my own family. My husband's Aunt got it about 20 years ago and my husband about 5 years ago. Stress? His Aunt had just lost her husband of 50 years. My husband had been through 4 surgeries in 5 years when he got it.

What really amazes me is how many YOUNG people in their 30s are getting shingles. My SIL (33) just got it. As soon as I saw it, I knew what it was. Yes, doctor confirmed that. Then my older daughter said that her friend (also early 30s) had gotten shingles too.

Why are all these very young people getting shingles today?
Here's one view:

Chickenpox (Varicella) Vaccine Creates Shingles Epidemic

Quote:
Dr. Mercola's Comments:

It's now been fifteen years since Merck's chickenpox (varicella) vaccine was approved for market.
What had always been regarded as a relatively benign childhood illness was suddenly reinvented in the 1990s as a life-threatening disease for which children must get vaccinated or face dire health consequences.
But wait—Merck to the rescue!
As is true with many new and potentially unnecessary medical interventions used on a widespread basis, there are often unintended consequences. The chickenpox (varicella) vaccine is a perfect example.
By trying to prevent all children from experiencing chickenpox naturally, this policy may have actually created a NEW epidemic—not in children but in adults, especially elderly adults.
Vaccinating children for chickenpox may very well be causing a shingles epidemic

Old 02-26-2015, 08:04 AM

9,300 posts, read 16,598,288 times
I broke out with shingles on a Sunday at 7:30 AM, went to a clinic and was given script for anti-viral meds. Started the meds within three hours and had a mild case that lasted 10 days. I had cancer and was advised not to get the vaccine, but my spouse did get the shot. If I were you I would definitely get the vaccine as friends have suffered terribly from shingles.

Old 02-26-2015, 09:07 AM

14,339 posts, read 14,147,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red On The Noodle View Post

The article you cite is from "Mercola.com" which is website run by Dr. Mercola who is legendary in unscientific opposition to vaccination.

Mercola is a quack who has repeatedly made false claims about vaccination. He makes his money, not practicing medicine, but pandering on fear to sell vitamin and nutritional supplements.

His opinion isn't worth a thing.

4 of the Biggest Quacks Plaguing America with False Claims About Science | Alternet

FDA Orders Dr. Joseph Mercola to Stop Illegal Claims

Old 02-26-2015, 10:34 AM

3,573 posts, read 4,490,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellwood View Post
I broke out with shingles on a Sunday at 7:30 AM, went to a clinic and was given script for anti-viral meds. Started the meds within three hours and had a mild case that lasted 10 days. I had cancer and was advised not to get the vaccine, but my spouse did get the shot. If I were you I would definitely get the vaccine as friends have suffered terribly from shingles.
Why can't you get the shingles vaccine if you have cancer?

Old 02-26-2015, 10:43 AM

1,818 posts, read 2,677,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by markg91359 View Post
The article you cite is from "Mercola.com" which is website run by Dr. Mercola who is legendary in unscientific opposition to vaccination.

Mercola is a quack who has repeatedly made false claims about vaccination. He makes his money, not practicing medicine, but pandering on fear to sell vitamin and nutritional supplements.

His opinion isn't worth a thing.

4 of the Biggest Quacks Plaguing America with False Claims About Science | Alternet

FDA Orders Dr. Joseph Mercola to Stop Illegal Claims

You missed my sarcasm. I said it was a "theory."

No one knows why shingles is now so widespread among young people. I had my first outbreak at 21 and my third at 42. I just call my dermatologist and she prescribes Valtrex. If taken within 24 hours of first signs of symptoms, I barely get a rash. After three times, I am now very aware of what the first symptoms are.

Old 02-26-2015, 04:58 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,206,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red On The Noodle View Post
You missed my sarcasm. I said it was a "theory."

No one knows why shingles is now so widespread among young people. I had my first outbreak at 21 and my third at 42. I just call my dermatologist and she prescribes Valtrex. If taken within 24 hours of first signs of symptoms, I barely get a rash. After three times, I am now very aware of what the first symptoms are.
Did you have chicken pox as a child or did you get the shot ?

Old 02-26-2015, 09:28 PM

24,204 posts, read 19,069,151 times
Even if the Mercola theory is correct, it's not an explanation for shingles in younger people. That theory is that people who had chicken pox as children need ongoing exposure to the wild virus in order to maintain their immunity to chicken pox, which (theoretically) provides immunity to shingles. Since most kids now get the vaccine, there is less wild virus exposure, so the elderly, who have the virus in their bodies from decades ago, end up with shingles.

Even if that that theory were true, I say so what? I'm not going to withhold the vaccine from my son, so that he can get chicken pox and ultimately be potentially susceptible to shingles. There's another theory out there, which is that when the generation of kids who got vaccinated get older, they will never get shingles because they won't have dormant zoster virus in their systems. I've had shingles, it was in my eye. It was hell to live through and I have a small but permanent vision loss from it. If I can reduce my son's chances of something like that ever happening to him, you can damn well bet I will, and I'll thank the drug company who made that possible.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement