Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2015, 07:02 PM

6,527 posts, read 6,979,689 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by biscuitmom View Post
The prospectus doesn't provide information about the fees/commission paid to the broker or financial advisor recommending a fund/investment.
True but today most of us are investing using employers accounts. Your employers generally pick up a portion of those fees too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Thomas J View Post
I think something like this is needed. My Father was steered towards a life time annuity at age 70 that he should not have taken out. His accountant scared him into taking it and than he died less than 2 years later, left 6 figures on the table and we aren't even sure if actually knew what he was doing when he took the annuity out. What was very upsetting to me was when I requested the break down of the annuity interest rate, fee's and commissions and nearly $26,000 was in commission and broker's fees and the rate was lower than the national average. That annuity was not a viable product, especially for a man my Father's age and for that amount of money. One money manager I spoke to told me that the word annuity is a bad word.

This proposal will not change that. There will be scammers and schemers and this proposal will do nothing to stop that. I am sorry that your dad was sucked into a bad investment. Annuities are not entirely a bad word. They have their uses. You just have to understand them. You have to understand all investments.

My point on what this whole thread here is we should not let the president do anything to the system. He may mean well but everything he has tried to fix has broken. Healthcare is supposed to be cheaper, it isn't. He is constantly passing presidential decrees and circumventing congress on so many things. It is just wrong that the president gets mixed up in this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2015, 12:44 AM

11,181 posts, read 10,467,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by golfingduo View Post
There will be scammers and schemers and this proposal will do nothing to stop that. I am sorry that your dad was sucked into a bad investment. Annuities are not entirely a bad word. They have their uses. You just have to understand them. You have to understand all investments.
It's not clear, do you think requiring "financial advisors" to disclose their commissions when advising investors, is a bad thing?

Old 02-25-2015, 07:50 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,118,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by biscuitmom View Post
It's not clear, do you think requiring "financial advisors" to disclose their commissions when advising investors, is a bad thing?
If you use a brokerage firm and stock brokers as your financial advisors then you are already given the commission information.
And you get monthly statements that will show any commissions made from trading in your account.

What most people don't put together is that brokers make their money off commissions and churning your account is how they generate commissions.

And given the vast amount of information, educational seminars, and online trading, one doesn't even need a broker today.

A fee only financial planner working independently of any brokerage company is the way to go if you need someone to plan out your investment strategy.

Old 02-25-2015, 09:17 AM

33,016 posts, read 27,305,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
The best person to take care of YOUR MONEY is YOU.
And if you don't know about investments then you need to take it upon yourself to learn about them before you retire and have a boatload of money that you now need to manage.

All during my working years I came upon countless number of folks in my company that had no clue about investments and stuck all their 401K money into whatever the newsletter told them.

What you suggest requires a worker have money to invest.

Old 02-25-2015, 09:51 AM
bUU

12,077 posts, read 10,648,589 times
I suspect the intention is that they should "borrow it from their parents".

Old 02-25-2015, 02:07 PM

6,328 posts, read 7,673,059 times
Quote:
...A fee only financial planner working independently of any brokerage company is the way to go if you need someone to plan out your investment strategy.
Absolutely! Except in my case, I need financial retirement advice. My appointment isn't until the end of April. Wondered why it is so far out, but guessed that they are busy with the tax filing season.

Old 02-25-2015, 10:10 PM

1,180 posts, read 2,909,432 times
Quote:
The best person to take care of YOUR MONEY is YOU.
And if you don't know about investments then you need to take it upon yourself to learn about them before you retire and have a boatload of money that you now need to manage.

All during my working years I came upon countless number of folks in my company that had no clue about investments and stuck all their 401K money into whatever the newsletter told them.

yes and while you're at it have them cut their own hair, bake the cake for their children's wedding, replace the car transmission and swimming pool liner, repair their own aneurism, perform their own hip replacement, and make their own clothes- I have no more business managing large amounts of money than I do any of these other things- get real-

Last edited by exit82; 02-25-2015 at 11:38 PM..

Old 02-26-2015, 12:13 AM

11,181 posts, read 10,467,569 times
Quote:
If you use a brokerage firm and stock brokers as your financial advisors then you are already given the commission information.
And you get monthly statements that will show any commissions made from trading in your account.

What most people don't put together is that brokers make their money off commissions and churning your account is how they generate commissions.

And given the vast amount of information, educational seminars, and online trading, one doesn't even need a broker today.

A fee only financial planner working independently of any brokerage company is the way to go if you need someone to plan out your investment strategy.
Stock brokers, online trading sites, and fee-only planners are not the target audience of the proposed change. Rather it's the myriad of institutions/persons who handle retirement funds and are anything but transparent in disclosures of their commissions. These range from trustee boards who handle large pension accounts to CPA's and insurance salesman who recommend and/or sell them to individuals.
The great majority of retirement funds are in the hands of the latter.

Old 02-26-2015, 12:37 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,118,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by exit82 View Post
yes and while you're at it have them cut their own hair, bake the cake for their children's wedding, replace the car transmission and swimming pool liner, repair their own aneurism, perform their own hip replacement, and make their own clothes- I have no more business managing large amounts of money than I do any of these other things- get real-
Too many people just hand their money over to a stranger and then years later lament about where it all went.

If you can't manage a large amount of money nor have the desire to learn to do it then just stick it all in an immediate annuity and get a monthly check for the rest of your life.

Old 02-26-2015, 01:23 AM

6,439 posts, read 6,866,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luv4horses View Post
So what has been happening up until now? Have they not been behaving responsibly?
No, most advisors recommend investments that pay high fees to the advisor, not high after-fee returns to the investor. Fee-only planners with nothing to gain from recommending one investment over another (other than a good reputation) are rare.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement