Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-25-2015, 11:28 AM

4 posts, read 8,546 times

Advertisements

My wife and I are looking at different areas in Florida +55 communities. How is Port Orange area to live? Also, what can we expect for housing & car insurance cost? Any help would be appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2015, 02:06 PM

1,544 posts, read 1,690,007 times
I would post this in the Florida section - maybe Orlando sub section.

Old 02-25-2015, 02:12 PM

2,076 posts, read 3,415,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by noreaster2014 View Post
My wife and I are looking at different areas in Florida +55 communities. How is Port Orange area to live? Also, what can we expect for housing & car insurance cost? Any help would be appreciated.
Definitely repost to the Floida forum although I'm not sure which subforum. I've been using the Florida boards a lot and there's a lot of helpful information. Although I still can't figure out just where Port Orange and Daytona fit on the subforums. What 55+ communities in Port Orange? We are not interested in manufactured homes and didn't think there was much else available there than that.

Old 02-25-2015, 10:37 PM

90 posts, read 126,775 times
Default Port orange

We are traveling to Port Orange in August to check it out... We have some family there and in New Smyrna Beach. When I was there 2 years ago to visit I thought it was a quiet and clean area very close to Daytona, did not realize that until we took a ride. While I think we are looking for a little more of a quaint little town, PO may be where we go next year once we move - only as our launching area while we decide where to settle. I don't remember much of a town center or any nice restaurant district, or really a lot of personality, but if you want a reasonable priced home with a pool, you could find it there. Our area of interest at this point is from New Smyrna up to Ponte Vedra-- I've not seen too much info on 55+ in PO.... I'm sure there are some or maybe a couple. Beachfront condos, yes. We are interested in the Palm coast area because there are bike paths, and walking paths.... And that is closer to St Augustine where our itch for a town center might be.

What interested you about PO? Btw you can always send for relocation packages from the chamber of commerce for the areas that interest you most-- maps, businesses, and some statistics are all food for thought.

Old 02-26-2015, 09:21 AM

1,409 posts, read 2,733,189 times
Definitely not the Orlando sub-forum, but then surprised there isn't one for Daytona, or at least Volusia county. Maybe the general Florida forum?

My mom wintered in Port Orange for 15 years, until the mid-90's. Nice place, very close to Daytona and the beach, but out of the craziness. Not certain how much it's changed since then, but I really liked it.

Old 02-26-2015, 09:44 AM

2,076 posts, read 3,415,904 times
We've been down here for the last two weeks staying on Ponce Inlet. Very nice, quiet area. However I found it interesting when we toured the lighthouse to learn the original name for this was Mosquito Inlet until sometime, I think in the 1930's, when the Chamber of Commerance had it changed. Makes me wonder what it's like in the summer.

I will suggest a good restaurant in PO, Aunt Catfish, on Dunlawton right at the causeway. I'm sure it's a tourist trap, but is good. One suggestion if you go, call ahead for a reservation. You can do that and it will put you to the top of the line when you show up. Otherwise I've heard of hour plus waits.

Old 03-01-2015, 06:03 AM

4 posts, read 8,546 times
Thank you everyone for your post, they were helpful.

Old 03-23-2015, 12:15 AM

4,231 posts, read 15,387,291 times
Just saw this now and agree that Aunt Catfish is a great restaurant - we try to go early bc it can get crowded and the parking lot fills up fast, have heard they have a nice wkend brunch but have never gone to it. They have a nice salad bar too (optional) and the servers refer to themselves as "Cousin ____" which is a nice touch.

North Turn on the beach road is nice too but they had a fire and we went once or twice after but they were still not quite set up but I would think they are now. They had some racing memorabilia but I believe some was lost in the fire. There really is no lack of local restaurants (as well as chain restaurants) in the area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement