Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2015, 03:43 PM

16,042 posts, read 21,967,545 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by N.Cal View Post
Nashville. I hear Chatt has a good 6" of snow right now.
It seems like, from news reports, Tenn really got slammed this winter. Unusual?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2015, 04:20 PM

824 posts, read 688,603 times
1 - how much snow, and how frequently, and as of today (March 1) is it still on the ground and how high
A few times in February, none is on the ground still

2 - how much ice, and how did that ice impact on your driving and home maintenance
A few days there was some, and nobody drove because I live in the south

3 - how much cold, how many days in a row under say 25–30 degrees
We had a decent amount of lows under the threshold, but never highs.

4 - are your winters getting worse, getting somewhat better, or always pretty much the same
It was warmer in December, normal in Jan, and cooler in Feb

5 - how many months do you consider it "winter" where you are
Most people where I live would say Dec-Jan, I'd normally only say Jan, but this year I'd say only Feb

Please say your state and what part: northern, southern, eastern, western, middle (for this to make any sense for me and anyone else interested).
South Carolina (western)

Old 02-28-2015, 04:41 PM

4,344 posts, read 4,719,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
It seems like, from news reports, Tenn really got slammed this winter. Unusual?
That would have to be answered by someone who has lived here longer than me.

Old 02-28-2015, 06:11 PM

8,733 posts, read 15,937,231 times
Quote:
You are not in the mid-Atlantic or South! LOL

(but interesting answer)
Me too , ARIZONA !!! Just far enough west to escape the weather fronts that are coming down from Canada., then go east and now South. By the way, it's 6:00 PM cool and windy and 68 right now here in Tucson.....Not on topic ? I say it IS ,cause what's important is the differential , is that what you are looking for ? My point , there is no where you can go, ( it's low humidity )except here to escape, be it a week or 4 months. I am going for the four months.

Old 02-28-2015, 06:12 PM

88,564 posts, read 84,755,078 times
Quote:
Those in the mid-Atlantic and South, exactly how was your winter in terms of all these questions:

1 - how much snow, and how frequently, and as of today (March 1) is it still on the ground and how high

2 - how much ice, and how did that ice impact on your driving and home maintenance

4 - are your winters getting worse, getting somewhat better, or always pretty much the same

Please say your state and what part: northern, southern, eastern, western, middle (for this to make any sense for me and anyone else interested). Thanks.
1. Not that much this year compared to last year. There are a few inches on the ground but there are patches where there is no snow at all.

2. A few times snow melted or it rained during the day and then it froze up at night, so we did have ice issues on sidewalks and whatnot. A few times it impacted driving conditions before everything was well salted. Didn't do anything to my home.

3. This year, it was colder than usual, although we had less snow. I don't know the exact number of days in a row under 25, but it was quite a few this year compared to other years. Lots of single digit mornings.

4. They vary. In the past five years, we've had a couple of blizzards with FEET of snow and states of emergency declared, then a winter with hardly any snow at all, then last winter with a larger number of smaller snowstorms instead of two or three big giant ones, then this year with no more than a few inches of snow at a time but significantly colder air. There's no rhyme or reason to it.

5. I consider it winter from mid-November through the end of March.

New Jersey, the eastern-central part, near the ocean (about four miles inland), specifically, near where the Atlantic coast begins in New Jersey.

Old 02-28-2015, 06:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Sir View Post
A few times in February, none is on the ground still

A few days there was some, and nobody drove because I live in the south

We had a decent amount of lows under the threshold, but never highs.

It was warmer in December, normal in Jan, and cooler in Feb

Most people where I live would say Dec-Jan, I'd normally only say Jan, but this year I'd say only Feb

Please say your state and what part: northern, southern, eastern, western, middle (for this to make any sense for me and anyone else interested).
South Carolina (western)
Interesting, I suspected that much about Northwestern SC, where we traveled a few summers back (Greenville, Spartanburg, Landrum).

Why is it Southerners don't drive in a little bit of snow?

Old 02-28-2015, 06:20 PM

4,423 posts, read 7,365,861 times
NEG, I live on Cape Cod so you know most of my answers. We were lucky enough to leave one day ahead of the first snow so I haven't seen a flake yet this year. We escaped to northeast Florida where it was cooler than its been the last several years. We'll head home in a week to piles of snow but friends are telling me that there's half on the ground of what Boston has.

Old 02-28-2015, 06:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
1. Not that much this year compared to last year. There are a few inches on the ground but there are patches where there is no snow at all.

2. A few times snow melted or it rained during the day and then it froze up at night, so we did have ice issues on sidewalks and whatnot. A few times it impacted driving conditions before everything was well salted. Didn't do anything to my home.

3. This year, it was colder than usual, although we had less snow. I don't know the exact number of days in a row under 25, but it was quite a few this year compared to other years. Lots of single digit mornings.

4. They vary. In the past five years, we've had a couple of blizzards with FEET of snow and states of emergency declared, then a winter with hardly any snow at all, then last winter with a larger number of smaller snowstorms instead of two or three big giant ones, then this year with no more than a few inches of snow at a time but significantly colder air. There's no rhyme or reason to it.

5. I consider it winter from mid-November through the end of March.

New Jersey, the eastern-central part, near the ocean (about four miles inland), specifically, near where the Atlantic coast begins in New Jersey.
A little better than New England. The months are the same for us, though into mid-April we are often heating the house.

Old 02-28-2015, 06:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ipoetry View Post
NEG, I live on Cape Cod so you know most of my answers. We were lucky enough to leave one day ahead of the first snow so I haven't seen a flake yet this year. We escaped to northeast Florida where it was cooler than its been the last several years. We'll head home in a week to piles of snow but friends are telling me that there's half on the ground of what Boston has.
The Cape has always, to my knowledge, had less severe winters, being situated such on the coast. Still, the Cape got slammed, according to weather reports. Boston is just something else.

Old 02-28-2015, 06:36 PM

14,016 posts, read 20,902,793 times
Quote:
The Cape has always, to my knowledge, had less severe winters, being situated such on the coast. Still, the Cape got slammed, according to weather reports. Boston is just something else.
Yep, even the Los Angeles Times had an article about all the snow in Boston. It sounded grim.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement