Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2015, 11:06 AM

16,042 posts, read 21,912,763 times

Advertisements

Those in the mid-Atlantic and South, exactly how was your winter in terms of all these questions:

1 - how much snow, and how frequently, and as of today (March 1) is it still on the ground and how high

2 - how much ice, and how did that ice impact on your driving and home maintenance

3 - how much cold, how many days in a row under say 25–30 degrees

4 - are your winters getting worse, getting somewhat better, or always pretty much the same

5 - how many months do you consider it "winter" where you are

Please say your state and what part: northern, southern, eastern, western, middle (for this to make any sense for me and anyone else interested). Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2015, 11:21 AM

6,954 posts, read 11,997,995 times
Neg: It's only Feb 28.
My answers (although I am strickly western) are:
1.zero
2.zero
3.zero
4. same
5. 6

Are you looking for someplace to move? I certainly don't blame you a bit ! O yeah, its ARIZONA !!!

Old 02-28-2015, 12:02 PM
PDD

8,773 posts, read 18,311,987 times
1.1" twice this winter gone now
2. none
3. 10 lowest 10-15 days under 30
4. same, been here 5 winters
5. 3 months, Dec, Jan, Feb

The Sand Hills of NC where golf fanatics play all year round.

Old 02-28-2015, 12:11 PM

3,576 posts, read 10,615,051 times
1 - how much snow, and how frequently, and as of today (March 1) is it still on the ground and how high

Usually one snow event a year, currently about 6" still on the ground.

2 - how much ice, and how did that ice impact on your driving and home maintenance

Always a lot of ice when there's a lot of precipitation and below-freezing tempuratures. However, I find that with a vehicle with proper tires, ABS, skid control, and a locking differential that there's not much of an issue driving.

A good part of this month.

4 - are your winters getting worse, getting somewhat better, or always pretty much the same

The same.

Three, from December through February. I consider each season to be almost exactly three months.

Triangle (Raleigh) area of NC.

Old 02-28-2015, 12:43 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,178,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
Those in the mid-Atlantic and South, exactly how was your winter in terms of all these questions:

Please say your state and what part: northern, southern, eastern, western, middle (for this to make any sense for me and anyone else interested). Thanks.
Central Texas

1. none
2. none
3. maybe 3 days
4. it's different every year because of where central Texas is located in relation to the fronts from up north hitting up against the Gulf fronts from the south.
5. Jan/Feb you can count on cold days, the occasional ice storms/snow flurries.

Last year though the Arctic fronts from up north were stronger and we had many more cold days and more frequent icing of roads.

Texas really lives up to it's saying of "If you don't like the weather than hang around for 24 hours".

Today the high is near 40 but tomorrow brings the mid 60's and last Saturday it was 77.

Old 02-28-2015, 01:31 PM

3,513 posts, read 6,351,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post

We don't have snow on the ground non-stop from first snowfall until spring thaw, it melts away between storms. Currently about 3 - 5 inches, most should be melted in a couple of days.

We do get icey roads, with black ice being a serious problem, especially in the early mornings. I would guesstimate maybe 7 or so days each winter month - Dec through March. This does result in schools having a two hour delayed opening several times each month. Being retired means that I can opt to schedule appointments and trips in to town for later in the day if the weather conditions warrant.

Overnight lows drop below freezing approximately 180 days each year. Growing season is around 153 days. General rule of thumb is to wait until Mothers Day to plant crops. Check out Accuweather extended forecast to look at average temps for any area you might be interested in to get a sense of what is typical for the locale.

I've been here nine years now and overall they seem to be about the same, some years a couple of heavy snows, this year not as much snow but you know the terrible cold spell all the the eastern half of the country just went through.

Wintery conditions last about 4 or 4.5 months but we do get some warm up days during each of those winter months.

Floyd county, VA about 50 miles sw of Roanoke, 120 miles north of Charlotte, NC. I'm up on the Blue Ridge Plateau at 2,800 ft elevation. Latitude 36.91 North and inland several hundred miles from the coast.

Temps in the Roanoke Valley, which is a bowl ringed by higher mountains tend to be 5 to 10 degrees warmer, winter and summer.

Anyone interested in this region might want to read the following from time to time: Kevin Myatt does a great job of writing about the weather of this region and he has a good following of folks who comment on their specific location around the region.

Roanoke Times: Weather Journal

I grew up on Long Island (50s & 60s) and attended college in Plattsburgh, NY and winters here are not as harsh as P-burgh but a bit worse than I had figured. (I'm not as hardy as I was back in the day) Summers are mild with temps rarely above 85 at this elevation and mostly in the 70 to 80 degree range and I don't find a big need to run the AC but will runt eh whole house fan and ceiling fans with windows open to keep things a bit cooler. Humidity is moderate.

Heating is often a heat pump, good homes also have a propane back up unit. Lots of folks also have wood burning fireplace/stove or pellet stove. Firewood is readily available for purchase and the local Craigslist is a good source to find it.

NEG, I've provided a bit more info for anyone who might be considering this region.

Hope this is helpful to some.

Last edited by zugor; 02-28-2015 at 01:39 PM..

Old 02-28-2015, 01:41 PM

5,097 posts, read 6,323,398 times
What is the point of this? You can google areas of the country and get exactly what you are asking for?

Old 02-28-2015, 01:52 PM

48,505 posts, read 96,551,406 times
You can Google most anything often discussed here. Op wants personal answers it seems .Its like crime the stats do not really give much of a answer because of the metrics. Often its not report accurately in many areas and even then concentrated in area covered by one stat. Kind of like unemployment reality versus stats.

Old 02-28-2015, 02:11 PM

7,725 posts, read 6,378,170 times

1 - how much snow, and how frequently, and as of today (March 1) is it still on the ground and how high: You need a calendar, it's February lol Got between 2-3 inches of snow.

2 - how much ice, and how did that ice impact on your driving and home maintenance: Plenty of ice. Has not affected "home maintenance" (live in a college dorm) and I don't have a car.

3 - how much cold, how many days in a row under say 25–30 degrees: Most days this week have had highs in the high 20s or low 30s. Wednesday reached 57 but Thursday was in the 20s and 30s and snowing.

4 - are your winters getting worse, getting somewhat better, or always pretty much the same: What's worse? I lived in Florida, and lack of seasons depressed me. I love winter, and can't wait to be living in Minnesota. I love the snow we've been having.

5 - how many months do you consider it "winter" where you are- 3. As anywhere else. I don't consider November or March winter, ever, even if there's snow, because even in Minneapolis, those months are often snow free for a considerable amount of time.

Anyway. I am excited for spring I live in Texas, where it's pretty hot but still gets seasons.

Old 02-28-2015, 02:35 PM

4,523 posts, read 3,719,529 times
No snow
No ice
Lowest temp was 36, last week. Next week will see temps in the high seventies, a dip near the weekend and then a steady warming.
This was a cooler winter with more 60 degree days in February than the past two years we've been here.
First frost and last frost in this zone occur in January.

Currently I have azaleas, Meyer lemon and hibiscus in bloom. There are seasons here, but autumn and spring are short and subtle, so they are easy to overlook if you don't garden and aren't in tune with nature. Winter is drier and slightly cooler. The live oak are currently shedding leaves, putting out new leaves and building up their store of pollen to release.

I live in coastal SWFL, south of Sarasota.

Quote:
Plantmaps.com - Hardiness Zone, Climate and Plant Maps
Using updated climate data through 2010, this zip code is in the Plantmaps Hardiness Zone 9b: 25F to 30F. The average first frost is between January 1 - 10, while the average last frost occurs between January 21 - 31. This zip code is part of Ecoregion 75b - Southwestern Florida Flatwoods. averages 151 - 180 days per year where the temperatue exceeds 86°F. The average annual high temperature is 83°F and the average annual low temperature is 63°F. The average high temperature in July (Summer) is 91°F, while the average high temperature in January (Winter) is 73°F.
One other thing of note: there is one hour more of daylight in FL during the winter than NY and then it reverses with NY having one more hour of daylight in the summer (at the solstices).

Last edited by jean_ji; 02-28-2015 at 03:08 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement