Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2015, 08:02 AM

1,169 posts, read 2,510,364 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PDD View Post
We all know about snowbirds traveling to the South for the Winter.

When was the last time you heard of a heat bird? Those moving from the South to the North in the Winter to avoid the heat.

Cold weather is highly overrated. Especially to those of us past 60.
So true!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2015, 08:52 AM

34,899 posts, read 31,006,838 times
I am from TN and am hating the weather here in IN so far. It's far too cold for me.

I grew up in heat/humidity (though nowhere nearly as hot as the deep South) and it's something I'm just used to. I've also spent a childhood summer and some summers in college in SC. If you're older or in poor condition, you generally stay inside in the AC during the heat of the day. If you work inside, same thing. The worst of the heat is generally between 10 AM - 4/5 PM during the summer. Beyond that, it's warm, but completely tolerable.

Here in Indiana, this summer generally didn't even feel like a summer. There were several weekends where I wanted to go swimming, but the temperature never got above 75 degrees. The hot days were not hot enough to make it feel like summer to me - it felt like spring.

You don't have to shovel or blow heat. You're not going to lose power or have a wreck due to heat. It's far, far easier to put up with than snow until May

Old 03-03-2015, 09:57 AM

5,114 posts, read 3,383,958 times
I grew up in SE Virginia and never liked the heat and humidity. It was torture to go to amusement parks and outdoor events because I would just wilt. I found that I tolerate cold much better than heat and now live in Colorado where the climate suits me perfectly. For me, it's the humidity that's the problem. Dry heat is fine. It gets cold here, but it's usually not the bone-chilling cold that you have in more humid climates. Also, everyone I know back in Va has those cave spiders in their crawl spaces. Ewww. I love Va and it will always be home, but I prefer to live elsewhere.

Last edited by Gorges; 03-03-2015 at 11:04 AM..

Old 03-03-2015, 10:44 AM

15,994 posts, read 20,986,750 times
SOME people acclimate to the heat. I grew up in MI and lived in different areas of the deep south as an adult. After twenty some years I am still not able to tolerate the humidity of summers. So when people shrug off the heat and tell you that you'll get used to it, that may or may not turn out to be true.

It does help to be near water and being able to wear clothing appropriate to the weather. Having to dress up and be outside can be absolute torture, makeup melts, hairs wilts, ughhh.

You mention edible plants so be aware that if you garden the weeds and the bugs are year round. They don't disappear in the winter like they do in colder areas.

TBH I coped with the summers by either staying at the beach or staying indoors most of the time, then I finally moved to east TN mountains where it is much more pleasant and I can actually enjoy my time outdoors.

Old 03-03-2015, 10:47 AM

9,317 posts, read 20,936,261 times
Two Tons of AC.

Old 03-03-2015, 12:41 PM

792 posts, read 2,863,888 times
[quote=in_newengland;38638322 So how do you cope? Stay inside in a/c all day long? Or go from a/c to a/c to a/c? Anyone in the southeast, how are the summers? Do they limit your activities? Do you get used to it?[/QUOTE]

I grew up in the SE. This is absolutely what people do - stay inside. Spells of extremely hot days unwind into suffocating nights during which it never really cools down. You are trapped.

Old 03-03-2015, 12:47 PM

11,181 posts, read 10,489,756 times
Quote:
When was the last time you heard of a heat bird? Those moving from the South to the North in the Winter to avoid the heat.
Many here in TX escape to the mountains and other cool spots for all or part of the summer, to get away from the heat. Colorado and Northern NM are popular spots for 2nd homes or summer rentals.

Old 03-03-2015, 12:52 PM

4,268 posts, read 6,269,135 times
When we moved from NJ to SC I suffered the first couple of summers we were here, but by the third summer I had adapted and now I don't mind summer that much. Sure, there might be a couple days where I walk outside and hit a wall of humidity that is tough to get through, but I do get through it and find ways to cool off (the neighborhood pool helps).

Old 03-03-2015, 01:22 PM

15,994 posts, read 20,986,750 times
Quote:
We all know about snowbirds traveling to the South for the Winter.

Cold weather is highly overrated. Especially to those of us past 60.
Do halfbacks count?

Old 03-03-2015, 02:48 PM
PDD

8,773 posts, read 18,326,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by biscuitmom View Post
Many here in TX escape to the mountains and other cool spots for all or part of the summer, to get away from the heat. Colorado and Northern NM are popular spots for 2nd homes or summer rentals.
Nothing wrong with that but how many travel to North Dakota in the Winter. Most people try to escape the extremes not experience them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement