Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2015, 09:53 PM

34,091 posts, read 82,464,944 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvmyhoss View Post
The Villages. Central Florida.
Where life is beautiful all the time. Really.
Takes all kinds.

Miracle Whip and Wonderbread wouldn't exist if enough people didn't really like them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2015, 12:37 AM

5,586 posts, read 8,348,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PatriciaSam View Post
Hi all! I am just new here!
Where are the best places (for retirees) to live in Florida? I would be very much grateful if you could give your suggestions. I am currently jotting down my plans for my retirement. Please help me finish my checklist. Thank you in advance! I am excited to read all your recommendations.
Florida is an enormous state. I don't know if there is some sort of template here as I know there is for some of the city forums, but it would be helpful if you could provide details on what you're looking for, what's important to you, where you're from (maybe you'll want to be in a place with folks from your area), etc.

Old 03-04-2015, 03:29 AM

7,018 posts, read 6,223,052 times
If I were to think of Florida, I would want to go clam digging & eat oysters in the shell. I suppose that is all of Florida along the ocean.

Old 03-04-2015, 07:45 AM

8,612 posts, read 10,696,368 times
It depends on what you are looking for as some have stated. City mouse or country mouse?

Old 03-04-2015, 08:34 AM

13,366 posts, read 28,600,305 times
For me it would be the gulf coast from Sarasota on down.
I love love Matlacha but of course that is way over my budget

Old 03-04-2015, 08:38 AM

18,438 posts, read 18,555,174 times
Loved Sarasota and Tarpon Springs. would love to have seen much more on the other coast..

Old 03-04-2015, 09:24 AM

755 posts, read 1,112,834 times
What about the Atlantic Coast, say the northern half, where it's a bit more affordable? We have gotten mixed stories as to whether places like New Smyrna Beach, Cocoa Beach, Cape Canaveral are nice spots for retirees? We thought it would be a good area since it's close to Disney but still has the beach, the better to entice future grandchildren to visit.

But then we are told it's a not nice, too gritty, too high crime. Getting up to St. Augustine I think is not warm enough in winter for me.

Anyone retire to the more affordable areas of the East Coast of Florida, north of the spendiest spots?

We also considered the northern gulf coast area--Port St. Joe and north. Anyone there now with feedback? Like the Cocoa Beach area, we've had some tell us it's great, while others say it's the "Redneck Riviera" and isolated from shopping and medical services.....

As I hijack this thread, lol, I'm also wondering if those retiring "to the beach" after dreaming of it for years actually find themselves ON the beach regularly, enjoying it as you ever did, or does it just become the background to everyday life?

Old 03-04-2015, 09:29 AM

755 posts, read 1,112,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
Takes all kinds.

Miracle Whip and Wonderbread wouldn't exist if enough people didn't really like them.
Quite so.

I love my fresh scallops with foie gras, but I also greatly enjoy the occasional white bread, Miracle Whip, and bologna sandwich. Ahhh, heaven. Judge away, if that's what you like to do! Apparently an awful lot of people like The Villages, and they are folks who apparently have more money than I do as it's not the most affordable place to be. There must be something pretty good about it, though a large retirement community like that isn't for me at this time.

Different people like different things thank God, or we'd all be crammed into one spot together.

Old 03-04-2015, 10:34 AM

2,681 posts, read 2,162,930 times
We currently live in the D.C. area and are contemplating retirement in FL. We've been to many parts of the State (except for the northern gulf coast) and have come to believe that the southern gulf coast is the best for retirees -- laid back, less developed than the Atlantic side, relatively inexpensive costs of living, beautiful beaches, and with a high proportion of 55+ population.

The only thing holding us back from making a final decision is the fear of hurricanes and hurricane evacuations in particular. Having said that, I understand the north Atlantic coast is least likely to get hit by one.

Old 03-04-2015, 12:11 PM

2,076 posts, read 3,409,087 times
We just got done with our "taste of Florida" tour as I called it. Two weeks each in Papano Beach, Belleair Beach (by St. Pete) and Ponce Inlet (Daytona Beach). Also got to Naples and Sanibel. For us, we came away with liking the Gulf coast more, for many of the same reasons, quieter, seemed more layed back, etc. We haven't decided exactly what we are doing yet but am pretty sure it will be in the Bradenton down to Englewood area.

Right now my biggest hang up is what type of place for snow birding. I see two options, a condo on or near enough to the beach so it's walking distance or a home in one of the gated type of communities with the amenities that go with it. There's pros and cons to each which we have to sort out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement