Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2015, 07:23 PM

23 posts, read 66,420 times

Advertisements

As a Florida resident for approximately 40 years, from the Tampa area to Collier county, I'd say the best place to move is to another state. If your heart is set on Florida, I plan on making room for you next year immediately after retirement. Good luck!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2015, 07:29 PM

755 posts, read 1,112,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lenora View Post
Fair enough, but if you move to Florida, please, please don't use the term "Redneck Riviera".
Interesting that it bothers you a lot. Not that I can imagine the term coming up in conversation, so have no worries, but in fact the first person I ever heard it from was born & raised in Pensacola. So I don't know that the term is universally offensive in Florida. I will however take it under advisement that Florida rednecks are of a more delicate emotional constitution than MT ones, and watch my mouth!

In any case, my entire point was not to insult anyone but simply to illustrate that a single place in Florida can be described by two or more different people with completely opposite descriptors--as happened with The Villages on this thread, as "Heaven" and "Miracle Whip"-- I was simply extending that phenomenon to (at least) two other places in Florida that we happened to have investigated and were given the descriptors I related, leaving us befuddled. I'm sorry I didn't make my point effectively enough, apparently. Twice.

Last edited by Montanama; 03-04-2015 at 07:49 PM..

Old 03-04-2015, 07:56 PM

34,091 posts, read 82,438,418 times

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3FB0tb4X5UQ

Old 03-04-2015, 09:20 PM

2,593 posts, read 4,219,776 times
As far south as you can get if you like the warmth.

Anything north of Palm Beach County can just get too chilly in the winter.

Old 03-04-2015, 09:29 PM

16,155 posts, read 8,305,382 times
Hi and welcome to the forum.

First and foremost, I'd suggest you changing your location on the forum from your exact address to just the city you are in. This is a totally public forum, and you really do not want the entire world, especially those close to you knowing your exact home address.

That said, much of your question relies on your financial means. If you can afford it, one of the nicest places anywhere is Amelia Island, especially in the Plantation. Picture Hilton Head, only warmer and nicer.

You can also consider staples like south east Florida in Broward or Palm beach. Miami is very expensive, Latin, has almost 3 million people, and not as senior friendly as it once was. Ft Lauderdale is still ok a little further north since they banned spring breakers.

South west has Naples and or Marco Island.

Someone probably already mentioned Century Village, but unless you like having everyone know your business and living close to condo commandos, I would not recommend it. In the middle of the state on the east coast there are places like Port St Lucie and Port Selarno.

Good luck, and again welcome to the forum.

Old 03-04-2015, 09:32 PM

16,155 posts, read 8,305,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zoomzoom3 View Post
As far south as you can get if you like the warmth.

Anything north of Palm Beach County can just get too chilly in the winter.

Most people across the country and even outside the US love Florida's weather, regardless of whether it is in the panhandle or anywhere else for that matter.
Now if you are really old and sensitive to the cold, yes being further south is warmer, but Florida generally stays warm most of the year regardless of where you live.

Old 03-04-2015, 09:44 PM

2,593 posts, read 4,219,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vector1 View Post

Most people across the country and even outside the US love Florida's weather, regardless of whether it is in the panhandle or anywhere else for that matter.
Now if you are really old and sensitive to the cold, yes being further south is warmer, but Florida generally stays warm most of the year regardless of where you live.
Haha I'm not very old at all & very sensitive to it. Having been diagnosed with pretty severe seasonal affecive disorder keeps me in South FL. I like to get outdoors all of the time & be comfortable and if I can't do that my mood takes a dive, and physcial issues start to manifest.

Old 03-05-2015, 12:04 AM

5,586 posts, read 8,345,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ipoetry View Post
Access to 'the beaches', good restaurants, golf, good shopping, friendliest people and diversity, all with an uncomplicated traffic flow. More... Mayport shrimp, ocean beaches with waves and breezes not to mention seasonal fluctuations.These things might not matter to some people but I hate the greeny/blue hue of the flat gulf water. More... Some of the best medical centers like Mayo, St. Vincents, Baptist and Shands. If I keep thinking, I'll keep typing so that's it for now.
This one has to be a first! Florida isn't everyone's cup of tea, but hating the gorgeous turquoise color and peacefulness of the Gulf? Wow, just wow. I was certainly enjoying it on my noodle this past summer (Anna Maria Island).....
Attached Thumbnails
Where are the best places to live in Florida?-photo-1-.jpg  

Old 03-05-2015, 12:11 AM

11,025 posts, read 7,750,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avalon08 View Post
This one has to be a first! Florida isn't everyone's cup of tea, but hating the gorgeous turquoise color and peacefulness of the Gulf? Wow, just wow. I was certainly enjoying it on my noodle this past summer (Anna Maria Island).....
The color part may be a first, but the flat Gulf waters are no draw for many people, especially those who have spent their lives at ocean beaches.

Old 03-05-2015, 12:51 AM

11,936 posts, read 12,993,985 times
Without a doubt, Sarasota is the most gorgeous town in Florida. Best beaches, amazing culture, cool neighborhoods, fantastic downtown, exceptional barrier islands.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement