Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2015, 08:05 AM

8,099 posts, read 8,246,716 times

Advertisements

Well, we have made many of the decisions about being retired. DH retired in October and we sold the big house and moved to a condo we can lock and leave and travel. Its been a lot of work just doing that. We've made a couple of trips and actually believe we will spend about half the year here and be gone about half the year....mostly in the US until our dog is no longer with us. The big question is the cars. I am considering replacing my car and DH has lots of opinions about what I should get. I am ok with his suggestions only if we get rid of his car and share. Otherwise, I want something smaller for just scooting around in town. He's afraid there will be times we'll each want to be off separately and will regret giving up the second car. We have a rail station right outside our door and can walk to shopping and restaurants. But we have never lived with just one car.

Has anyone gone down to a single vehicle and regretted it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2015, 09:05 AM

16,042 posts, read 21,912,763 times
We just went to a single new vehicle. So far we do not regret it. The only problem will be when and if one of us wants to go away without the other (seldom), but car rentals will suffice. The other thing of course is when the car is in for repair.

Old 03-03-2015, 11:41 AM

241 posts, read 271,873 times
We have discussed this (briefly) and can't see us going to one vehicle anytime soon. Maybe down the road.
For now when DW goes to the pool and I need hardware store...that's just one reason of many. Of course if finances drove us to cut costs that much then we would consider it.

But for now it is 2 vehicles.......................

Old 03-03-2015, 12:00 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,165 posts, read 80,309,828 times
We haven't had less than 3 in many years, even with just two drivers. One newer one for road trips, my truck for hauling, and a classic to have fun driving and work on. We are close to retiring and I can't see that changing.

Old 03-03-2015, 12:33 PM

4,522 posts, read 3,719,529 times
We drive back and forth from NY to FL and have decided to leave my car in FL when we go north this time. Driving two cars got old after the first time. I want to drive for a few hours and take turns driving in one car. We too have a classic car I can drive in NY: a right-hand drive '76 Mini. I see a lot of walking in my future this summer.

DH plans on purchasing whatever company car he has at the time of his retirement and we'll sell mine. He plans on keeping the Mini. So we'll have a car and a 1/4 when we retire.

Old 03-03-2015, 12:46 PM

3,433 posts, read 3,698,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
We haven't had less than 3 in many years, even with just two drivers. One newer one for road trips, my truck for hauling, and a classic to have fun driving and work on. We are close to retiring and I can't see that changing.
Only three? I'll be retiring in a few years and will be hoping for a FOUR car garage...

Old 03-03-2015, 01:09 PM

8,886 posts, read 20,271,752 times
We had one vehicle for a couple of years. If I needed it, I'd drive my wife to work and pick her up when she got off. Then, we I got a job, we got another vehicle because my job was in the downtown area; 18 miles from where we use to lived then. So, since (2003), we've had two vehicles. I'm now retired, but we still have two vehicles. The one, '97 Dodge Ram 1500 (148k), gets driven very little, but wife does drive it to work a couple of days out of the week. We only live 7 miles from her job and no freeway driving. Our "regular" driving vehicle is our 2005 Dodge Durango SLT. It was used when we bought it in 2005. We have a 1992 20' Cuddy Cabin Boat and the Durango pulls it very smoothly.

When the times comes that my wife does, we will get rid of the Dodge Ram. If she ends up retiring when she turns 70, we will end up with a different vehicle altogether. The Durango and Ram will be sold by then.

All I know is that, as long as we are into boating, we will need a vehicle that can pull it on the trailer. That is, unless we can end up affording to put the boat into Dry Storage whereever we are living.

Old 03-03-2015, 01:52 PM

4,522 posts, read 3,719,529 times
Slightly more on topic. When we moved to NY, we had one car, the other one wouldn't have made the trip. I got a job at the local hospital and DH dropped me off on the way to work and I walked home every day, it was two miles on sidewalks to get home. That was for eight months and really worked out well until we had money for another car. Two cars aren't a necessity if you live in an area that has some walkability to it.

The OP lives near walkable shop//restaurants and transportation and that is a perfect set up for a one car family that isn't in the suburbs. If it doesn't work out, it should be easy enough to get a second hand car, no need for regrets.

Old 03-03-2015, 02:18 PM

685 posts, read 716,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WorldKlas View Post
Well, we have made many of the decisions about being retired. DH retired in October and we sold the big house and moved to a condo we can lock and leave and travel. Its been a lot of work just doing that. We've made a couple of trips and actually believe we will spend about half the year here and be gone about half the year....mostly in the US until our dog is no longer with us. The big question is the cars. I am considering replacing my car and DH has lots of opinions about what I should get. I am ok with his suggestions only if we get rid of his car and share. Otherwise, I want something smaller for just scooting around in town. He's afraid there will be times we'll each want to be off separately and will regret giving up the second car. We have a rail station right outside our door and can walk to shopping and restaurants. But we have never lived with just one car.

Has anyone gone down to a single vehicle and regretted it?
Two cars are expensive. Two tanks of gas, two registrations and insurance, two repair costs and no matter what car you have repair costs are going up up up due to cheaper cars and ethanol eating your engine.

I brought this up with my partner before we moved into retirement and I lost gently. I know we could manage with one car. You have a rail station outside your door and can walk where you need. We're
in Asheville where there is no rail station and public transportation is abominable and the airport ... it's cute but it's expensive to get out of here by air. If I were in your shoes, I would've been able to stick to my beliefs a bit better (at least I'd have a better argument to get rid of one).

Our last option (before we bought two replacement cars for our aged cars last year) was to go with one good car and have a beat up car (like my ten year old that I sold) for around-town driving. It would've been a little cheaper.

Good luck. I'm on your side completely. It's just logical. If your husband wants to get away, he can.

Old 03-03-2015, 02:18 PM

3,573 posts, read 4,488,799 times
We have three, but lately it feels like one.

One is hibernating in the garage so we don't have to shovel it out.

Another is only used for work, so sometimes it's awkward.

I usually win.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement